Food supply reduced amid COVID spread at processing plants

snoop1130

เลือกซื้อเนื้อไก่..jpg

Food supplies at markets and supermarkets are reducing amid partial closures and subsequent reduced production capacity at almost 100 food processing plants nationwide, following the spread of COVID-19 among their workers. Some items have reportedly run out, with certain shops and stalls forced to close.

At a fresh market, in Bangkok’s Min Buri district, many fewer stalls were open than normal. For those which did open, for example a fresh chicken stall, supply was reduced to the point where it was not enough for its usual customers.

“Prices have increased by 5-7 baht, especially now when the chicken meat is lacking. The suppliers barely deliver because they don’t have any. They may have closed. At first it was the lack of supply, but now they’re scared of the infections,” Salakjai Kaewprasert told Thai PBS.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/food-supply-reduced-amid-covid-spread-at-processing-plants/

Logo-top-.png

1 minute ago, 2umich said:

Print money, inflate prices and blame Covid. 

Because shortages don't translate into higher prices? 

Do you always look for more complicated explanations when a simpler one is at hand? What don't you understand about the relationship between supply, demand, and prices?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just saw a story much like the link I posted below on the Channel 32 news, and then just after that they were talking to a business lady that makes Barbequed KaiYang in Khon Kaen.  She was saying that people seem to be shying away from buying chicken right now and its impacting her business.

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/2-korat-chicken-processing-factories-report-over-100-infections

2 chicken processing plants in northeastern Thailand’s Nakhon Ratchasima/Korat province have got the bubble/seal treatment after over 100 employees tested positive for Covid. The outbreak from the two poultry factories, which employs over 10,000 workers, aroused fear in the nearby residents at the prospect of Covid running amok in their area.

Today, the Chok Chai district chief Somchai Amphankarn, and other officials had a meeting with executives from the 2 plants to decide on measures to handle the situation.

Edited by metisdead
Edited as per fair use policy.
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, 2umich said:

You will be surprised how prices will remain elevated even after supply problem will be solved.

Another crystal ball gazer. I recall that many years ago the price of eggs sharply declined and stayed that way for many years. Do you really believe that there is a chicken cartel?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, steven100 said:

when figures start to look better and more vaccinations occur I expect things will start to re-open. Government will allow things to open as it sees zero virus transmission can occur. 

Hopefully soon .......  

Soon as in when sir.  It does not look promising with the 100k isolating at home just here in BKK and the cases at over 21k with 190 deaths today.  We have not even seen the upward slope slowing.  However, I to am hopeful it will be sooner rather than after Hi-Season.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Another crystal ball gazer. I recall that many years ago the price of eggs sharply declined and stayed that way for many years. Do you really believe that there is a chicken cartel?

People need excuses to elevate prices in inflationary environment most of the time.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 2umich said:

People need excuses to elevate prices in inflationary environment most of the time.

This makes no sense. If environment is truly inflationary then that's a legitimate reason to raise prices. Not an excuse. And you're still evading the question of supply and demand. If chicken processing factories are producing as many chickens, then it's almost inevitable that the price of chickens will rise. What's so hard to understand about that?

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

APOCALYPSE

Thanks for correcting me, that's likely correct. Especially alongside china's bellicose politics. I had thought after giving the world covid, they would behave with some humility. Sadly not.

• Confused 1

17 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

The problem with fables, no matter how reworked is that they are fables.

Never said I was in favour of hoarding, but I doubt those who have engaged in this behaviour care very much about my opinion. 

Yes, human nature at its finest. Nevermind food to eat, even bog rolls appear to be under observation- or not, unless checking bum clean.

1 hour ago, placeholder said:

Do you always look for more complicated explanations when a simpler one is at hand? What don't you understand about the relationship between supply, demand, and prices?

Sorry, but I can't help myself to quote this. The printing of money, devalues that money. That certainly will affect prices. Demand will be reasonably constant. Supply can be malformed by major world issues. That can also have an amplifying effect on prices. As does a falling currency. Too many moving parts for anyone to understand all I think.

• Like 2

Just now, Khabib said:

Sorry, but I can't help myself to quote this. The printing of money, devalues that money. That certainly will affect prices. Demand will be reasonably constant. Supply can be malformed by major world issues. That can also have an amplifying effect on prices. As does a falling currency. Too many moving parts for anyone to understand all I think.

First of all, that's a dubious proposition. I remember the dire predictions for hyperinflation after the 2008 financial crisis and the subsequent printing of money. How did that work out? 

2 minutes ago, placeholder said:

First of all, that's a dubious proposition. I remember the dire predictions for hyperinflation after the 2008 financial crisis and the subsequent printing of money. How did that work out? 

Very well so far, I bought much gold 3 years ago 55

20 minutes ago, impulse said:

Stocking up on enough staples to get your family through a few weeks of the Zombie Apocalypse isn't hoarding.

In fact, I'd say that anyone reading about potential food shortages who isn't stocking up is just asking to be zombie food.

Stocking up or hoarding: all depends on the perspective of the person who may be staring at empty shelves or a full pantry. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2umich said:

Print money, inflate prices and blame Covid. 

1 hour ago, placeholder said:

What 2umich said is exactly what they are doing in the USA.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bluespunk said:

Stocking up or hoarding: all depends on the perspective of the person who may be staring at empty shelves or a full pantry. 

Much of it likely comes down to the psych of humanity - if you can't beat em, join em.

1 hour ago, ArcticFox said:

Went to Marko today.  If there were food shortages they weren't really evident.  Maybe a run on Sam Maekrua canned sardines but there were pallets of other brands. No shortages of eggs or meat or dairy.  Looked like a normal day in paradise and not many people shopping at all. 

That is Marko,I was they looking for a kettle  ,they only had the very cheap ones 250baht or the expensive ones 1000 baht +, middle range ones  sold out same as Home Pro, people now living on Mar Mar instant noddles ,again not many people they ,

It is the more well heeled Thai's that will use Marko ,not many of our local rice farmers in my area will go they, apart from the 80 km round trip.

Try your local market ,I think you will find more what the op is writing about . 

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

when figures start to look better and more vaccinations occur I expect things will start to re-open. Government will allow things to open as it sees zero virus transmission can occur. 

Hopefully soon .......  

Nah, they will, like in the US, come up with a more deadly variant that requires boosters, and keep destroying the livelihoods, families, and businesses of decent people.

• Like 1