Covid insurance for returnee

London Fog

I am long term retiree on non-o extension who will be returning to thailand from UK after attending funeral. I know that as part of package I need specific covid 29 insurance. 

Does that specific policy duration have to be for the length of time for my visa or can it be for 10 or 30 days after which I can get more comprehensive local policy covering a wider range? 

I believe in order to obtain the COE you will need the Covid Insurance the full length of time as your visa. In my case it will be almost one year which is a very expensive bone of contention for me.

1. Last year I paid almost $1000 USD for the winters duration as an unvaccinated non O to cover the full length of time. 
This year IF I choose to return the insurance will cost the SAME even hough I am fully vaccinated!

Why? Everyday it is stated on the news that Vaccinated folks have much less severe issues with stay at home recovery if by chance you catch covid….

2. So as a VACCINATED  returnee Why the full year covid insurance requirement?!

The requirement should be for 14 days and once passed the final covid test required insurance should end.

3. If AFTER vaccinated “normal” is to return, then this scam should also end! Unfortunately I see this money grab to go on for years to come. SCAM!

Sorry didn’t really answer your question…..but hope people start thinking about how “deep” we are into this money grab and freedom loss.

ONCE A PERSON IS VACCINATED, THEN INSURANCE REQUIREMENT TWO WEEKS UNTIL AFTER THE FINAL COVID TEST…THEN NO MASKS ONCE THE MAJORITY OF POPULACE IS VACCINATED. 

BTW my Thai friend just had covid, and recovered like the normal flu. We don’t all die…

Edited by PumpkinEater
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, London Fog said:

Does that specific policy duration have to be for the length of time for my visa or can it be for 10 or 30 days after which I can get more comprehensive local policy covering a wider range? 

I've always heard the "length of your stay", i.e. the number of days your entry stamp would be, which would normally equal your granted length of stay based on retirement.

You can buy Covid-insurance at the official Covid-insurance homepage HERE.

Agree with the length of stay being the rule, but an insurance broker in Thailand recently replied to a query that:

". . . I see the English Thai embassy is always satisfied with 3 months of cover so it will give no problems in your case."

That would see a COE being isssued if correct, not sure about checks at the Thai end on arrival.

I agree. it is the length of time you’re allowed to remain in the kingdom using whatever entry status (ie the-entry permit, new non-imm, new tourist, etc) you choose at the time you apply for your CoE.

As example, IF you’re using a re-entry permit (as I did) then the insurance must cover until the end of that specific re-entry permit you now have- regardless if you will or will not extend it again afterwards.. If you’re entering on some kind of visa that hasn’t yet been used, then it should be however long that specific via entities you to remain in the kingdom REGARDLESS if you later choose to extend it further.

I too have heard reports that 90 days is accepted regardless… but to be fair, I’ve not yet seen any actual proof of this… everyone I know, myself included, have had to show coverage to the end of the permitted period of stay - again, based on whatever entry status you’ve elected to use. 

Edited by new2here

I believe in order to obtain the COE you will need the Covid Insurance the full length of time as your visa. In my case it will be almost one year which is a very expensive bone of contention for me.

Last year I paid almost $1000 USD for the winters duration as an unvaccinated non O to cover the full length of time (Expiration of reentry permit/non O Visa.

May be best to obtain a 90 day pay less for insurance but the down side is the cost to convert to non O inside TH if you choose a long stay…

Insurance Premiums should be at least half the cost for the VACCINATED. folks. This would give incentive for folks to get vaccinated along with the fact that the vaccinated do not have medical issues requiring hospitalization.. 

AND if this is a COE “ENTRY” requirement, then why is it that I have to have the insurance for the entire 11 months of my ViSA? 
If this is the case, then ALL foreigners in thailand should be required to have covid insurance at all times…(?)

heehee I know don’t go there…

Cheers.

Edited by PumpkinEater
Additional

15 hours ago, PumpkinEater said:

1. Last year I paid almost $1000 USD for the winters duration as an unvaccinated non O to cover the full length of time. 
This year IF I choose to return the insurance will cost the SAME even hough I am fully vaccinated!

Why? Everyday it is stated on the news that Vaccinated folks have much less severe issues with stay at home recovery if by chance you catch covid….

2. So as a VACCINATED  returnee Why the full year covid insurance requirement?!

The requirement should be for 14 days and once passed the final covid test required insurance should end.

3. If AFTER vaccinated “normal” is to return, then this scam should also end! Unfortunately I see this money grab to go on for years to come. SCAM!

Sorry didn’t really answer your question…..but hope people start thinking about how “deep” we are into this money grab and freedom loss.

ONCE A PERSON IS VACCINATED, THEN INSURANCE REQUIREMENT TWO WEEKS UNTIL AFTER THE FINAL COVID TEST…THEN NO MASKS ONCE THE MAJORITY OF POPULACE IS VACCINATED. 

BTW my Thai friend just had covid, and recovered like the normal flu. We don’t all die…

The way this C virus insurance for $100000 works, IMO, it is nothing more than a scam to make more money for certain people.

I was also wondering about this as I contemplate the hassles of a trip back to the Uk. My rentry certificate takes my up to end of Jan 2020, so I assume from what's been said here I would need insurance to cover up to that date. 

One thing puzzles me, I got a few quotes from the Axa Thailand website, for various periods. Here's what came up:

1 month 2700 baht
2 month 7600 baht
3 months 14,860 baht
4 months 14,860 baht

How does that make any sense ? 3 month cover is 5 times the cost of 1 month !

I've relooked at this on a daily basis rather than monthly. Now I get:

30 days 2,770 baht - 92 baht per day
60 days 5,130 baht - 85 baht per day
90 days 7,630 baht - 84 baht per day
120 days 14,860 baht - 123 baht per day

still not much sense in it...

From the threads  and as I am going to start the COE process in the next few days .

I should be getting the following  :- 

1) 14 days covid cover for my Thai Wife

2) and cover for my existing visa extention/re-entry permit which expire 15th October  -  Though probably I will just purchase 30 days 

However would I be better for me to incorporate my Covid 19  cover with a holiday insurance,  as I intend to return to the UK in May 2022 to cover myself for the rest of the period in Thailand .

View ?   recommendations ??     Companies who supply such an insurance  ??

All info would be much appreciated 

regards