Apple TV 4K now available.

sometimewoodworker

52 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

So had I, but I dropped in on Friday.

I seem to find myself temporarily embarrassed at this present moment in time and will need to wait until next month.

I know you already have one, when you use as a homehub, but before I purchase, does it have to stay on all the time or standby?

I have a zigbee bridge and the only way I can connect to zigbee devices via HK is when my current homehub, an old iPad is 'on' and unlocked. If I put that iPad sleep, then  the zigbee devices become unavailable. A bit troublesome when the lighting is all controlled with cheap zigbee sensors.

41 minutes ago, recom273 said:

I seem to find myself temporarily embarrassed at this present moment in time and will need to wait until next month.

I know you already have one, when you use as a homehub, but before I purchase, does it have to stay on all the time or standby?

I have a zigbee bridge and the only way I can connect to zigbee devices via HK is when my current homehub, an old iPad is 'on' and unlocked. If I put that iPad sleep, then  the zigbee devices become unavailable. A bit troublesome when the lighting is all controlled with cheap zigbee sensors.

Yes I have an older regular Apple TV it goes to sleep, I have a Philips Hue Bridge that has no off switch. My Philips Hue lights and Aqara devices are always available, of course not if the power is cut ???? 

10 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

What are the advantages of Apple TV? 

Is this a separate device or can I use my desktop Mac? 

I have an Apple TV unit , but never use it - as we watch most of our movies on Netflix - where it is much easier to have Thai or English subtitles etc.

We can watch Apple TV on iPhone, iPad & Desktop Mac. When I bought my new iMac a few months ago I was given 12 months Apple TV + free (as part of the deal). The Apple TV 4K is more like a set-top box.

Apple TV is available as an app (either pre-installed or downloadable through google store)  on many newer smart TVs.

52 minutes ago, G Rex said:

I have an Apple TV unit , but never use it - as we watch most of our movies on Netflix - where it is much easier to have Thai or English subtitles etc.

We can watch Apple TV on iPhone, iPad & Desktop Mac. When I bought my new iMac a few months ago I was given 12 months Apple TV + free (as part of the deal). The Apple TV 4K is more like a set-top box.

Apple TV is available as an app (either pre-installed or downloadable through google store)  on many newer smart TVs.

Thanks - what about content? what kind of content is available and how much of it - I also have netflix,,, and would love a better selection of movies.

Apple TV gen 4 links to multiple streaming services. Many of which are not available in Thailand. I access Apple TV’s own channels, Netflix, Prime. It is also useful to stream stuff from Apple I pad apps such as Australian ABC Iview. But I cannot stream SBS On Demand because I can’t install a VPN to the router. I also find British streaming services impossible to access. I think it is far more than a set top box, if you have other Apple tech.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

Thanks - what about content? what kind of content is available and how much of it - I also have netflix,,, and would love a better selection of movies.

Yes, it’s a set top box.

You can install Netflix, Amazon or enter your VPN to access BBC, or whatever.

You can stream from your computer or NAS, so if you download movies you can view on your TV.

If you use Apple homekit, it will act as a homehub, to manage and automate your home, for example, if someone rings your homekit doorbell then you will get a picture within picture of your doorbell camera feed.

You can use it to all the games you can DL from the App Store. 

These are my main uses, 

@sometimewoodworker may add something to the list.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, G Rex said:

You are confusing the 60190F3E-199B-4AB6-B5F6-E60B0CF8C766.jpeg.bd61440e30cbee7028de42a14a464ef6.jpeg TV app with the Apple TV hardware 9F3C181A-EE7D-42A4-AC0E-46C46BF713E9.thumb.jpeg.ca86e0e15bb16eb16e65024eb8de4a80.jpeg

As to being a “set top box” they went away when CRTs died, but yes like several others network interfaces (chrome cast, etc) it is attached to the TV

The benefits are quite a few as Apple has a thriving App Store so the apps will continue to be updated when many smart TV apps almost never are after a couple of years. You can use it to stream your connection through a VPN as well as all your home media, photos videos, movies audio etc, along with your iCloud media.

Ours is set to control our midrange new TV. As to our use we never get OTA TV and don’t watch much though the 4K version may make upgrading to HD Netflix worthwhile along with YouTube premium 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

Virtually all the streaming services 

• Apple TV 4K (2nd generation) brings thebest of TV together with access to your favorite Apple services. Its 4K High Frame Rate HDR, with Dolby Atmos sound capabilities, delivers a truly cinematic experience to your screen — whether you’re watching sports or a film.² You can enjoy content from Apple TV+, Amazon Prime Video, Netflix, and Disney+, as well as live channels from Hulu, YouTube TV, and Sling TV.⁵

If you use a VPN you may be available to access other countries native versions of these.

2 hours ago, Mayhem11 said:

But I cannot stream SBS On Demand because I can’t install a VPN to the router. I also find British streaming services impossible to access.

You don’t have to have a VPN on your router (why you can’t install one I don’t understand, unless it’s too technical for you) you can access the ExpressVPN MediaStreamer directly from the Apple TV if you want.

There are almost certainly other services available.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mayhem11 said:

Apple TV gen 4 links to multiple streaming services. Many of which are not available in Thailand. I access Apple TV’s own channels, Netflix, Prime. It is also useful to stream stuff from Apple I pad apps such as Australian ABC Iview. But I cannot stream SBS On Demand because I can’t install a VPN to the router. I also find British streaming services impossible to access. I think it is far more than a set top box, if you have other Apple tech.

Smartdnsproxy .com maybe worth a look.  ie. you enter their DNS number on the Apple TV.  Believe you can try before you pay up for a subscription.... - I havent tried it but they show SBS on Demand as being accessible.. 

If you do get it - every once in a while - you'll need to go reactivate it on the Smart DNS site, and power down/power up the Apple TV.... when the application says "not available" in your region.

10 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

You are confusing the 60190F3E-199B-4AB6-B5F6-E60B0CF8C766.jpeg.bd61440e30cbee7028de42a14a464ef6.jpeg TV app with the Apple TV hardware 9F3C181A-EE7D-42A4-AC0E-46C46BF713E9.thumb.jpeg.ca86e0e15bb16eb16e65024eb8de4a80.jpeg

As to being a “set top box” they went away when CRTs died, but yes like several others network interfaces (chrome cast, etc) it is attached to the TV

The benefits are quite a few as Apple has a thriving App Store so the apps will continue to be updated when many smart TV apps almost never are after a couple of years. You can use it to stream your connection through a VPN as well as all your home media, photos videos, movies audio etc, along with your iCloud media.

Ours is set to control our midrange new TV. As to our use we never get OTA TV and don’t watch much though the 4K version may make upgrading to HD Netflix worthwhile along with YouTube premium 

No , I am sorry if I did not make myself clear. Yes - picture and sound quality may be better - but I hate the remote - I used my phone instead. I am very happy with the output from my new(ish) 85 inch Sony 4K Smart tv.

image.jpg

image.jpg

1 minute ago, G Rex said:

No , I am sorry if I did not make myself clear. Yes - picture and sound quality may be better - but I hate the remote - I used my phone instead. I am very happy with the output from my new(ish) 85 inch Sony 4K Smart tv.

That is one reason for the new Apple TV, the other being that’s 4K and our old one is only HD

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, G Rex said:

No , I am sorry if I did not make myself clear. Yes - picture and sound quality may be better - but I hate the remote - I used my phone instead. 

Everyone hates that remote ????. The new one comes with a redesigned remote which people seem to like. It can be purchased separately, and it will work with your old box, but I haven't bothered.

9 hours ago, Paradise Pete said:

Everyone hates that remote ????. The new one comes with a redesigned remote which people seem to like. It can be purchased separately, and it will work with your old box, but I haven't bothered.

As mentioned 5AD77C57-F92E-4AB9-AFAE-1C46536F362D.thumb.jpeg.ba688a05e1f0696421f0d11f311ce8b6.jpeg63DA5C39-E8C6-4CEF-92F5-ED8ECD38777F.jpeg.e183328a0f4e909d9d6cc6d4379cf26c.jpeg

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, G Rex said:

image.jpg

image.jpg

Good to someone else is using nVidia Shield, I though I was the only one in Thailand........

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Just an update, the new Apple TV has been delivered, the new remote is a significant improvement on the old one, my Netflix subscription is, for the moment, Ultra HD (4K) 

Mine arrived today too - I haven’t finished setting mine up yet, due to a powercut, but I found the remote to a little too sensitive but I’m sure I will get used to it. 

Did you get appleTV+ for free

for 3 months? I was expecting an email or invite. 

10 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Yes it is included, however if you have ever had Apple TV+ free on your Apple ID it dose not apply a second time, so I used a different Apple ID

Damn, That’s a bit tight of them, not that I watched more than 2 shows in 18 months of having the free service. 

I’m slightly underwhelmed by the thing tbh, using a VPN and using any other functions of the atv is pretty much out of the question, I might aswell keep my firestick for foreign content - it will be too difficult to explain to the wife about virtual hotspots or logging off of secondary routers. 

The good thing is, that i can lose the horrid 3BB box that she uses for Thai TV.

4 hours ago, recom273 said:

I’m slightly underwhelmed by the thing tbh, using a VPN and using any other functions of the atv is pretty much out of the question

I’m a little confused as to the problem you’re having. AFIK a good VPN is transparent.

I don’t use one so can’t be sure but what functions are a problem? It certainly could be that it may be configurations that are mixed up.

3 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

I’m a little confused as to the problem you’re having. AFIK a good VPN is transparent.

I don’t use one so can’t be sure but what functions are a problem? It certainly could be that it may be configurations that are mixed up.

Doesn’t matter.

No config mix up - It’s a limitation of Apple - they don’t allow VPN apps in the App Store, it makes it all so complicated if you are sharing the box with the other half. 

12 hours ago, recom273 said:

Doesn’t matter.

No config mix up - It’s a limitation of Apple - they don’t allow VPN apps in the App Store, it makes it all so complicated if you are sharing the box with the other half. 

Since a VPN functions at the router and can be configured by a browser is there any significant benefit to having an app? Do you need to constantly change your egress location? 

Note, these are real questions as I’ve never seen a point for my use case for using one, maybe I’ve been missing out.

2 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Since a VPN functions at the router and can be configured by a browser is there any significant benefit to having an app? Do you need to constantly change your egress location? 

Note, these are real questions as I’ve never seen a point for my use case for using one, maybe I’ve been missing out.

I think the easiest answer is .. I don’t want a networkwide VPN, if this is what you suggest, there is no need. It would take a great deal of work. I have DNS servers, reverse proxy’s and more that I have no idea how to set up around a router based VPN and right now isn’t the best time to start a new project.

For security purposes I have a VPN server in Belgium, which I can control via my desktop using viscosity and the only purpose for this VPN is to watch BBC news - the most convenient way is the setup on the firetv, to use an VPN app that has tunnel functionality, you select the apps to use the VPN and every other app behaves normally.

Why switch between egress points? I can only presume because I can’t use the AISplay app on the fireTV, that if you are using a UK server, my wife wouldn’t be able to watch Thai TV.

I pay 2000B for 2 years on surfshark which is fine for iplayer, they don’t have smartDNS servers for any UK TV, some VPN services do have UK smartDNS servers but are a bit more expensive and still needs going into atv settings and changing the settings. 

6 hours ago, recom273 said:

I think the easiest answer is .. I don’t want a networkwide VPN,

Thanks for the comprehensive answer. I can think of a few ways that might answer all the points raised, however they would require quite comprehensive knowledge of your setup, and the ways that individual devices are used to access content that needs a specific geolocation egress.

The whole project could be an exercise in futility depending on the use of devices. If you need to have a single device, Apple TV or fireTV switch between Thailand and Europe my ideas won’t work easily, if you can dedicate a device to a country exit point they could. 

I don’t know if there is any device that is really simple to switch egress points, certainly the Apple TV is not one, it isn’t designed for the job. The VPN that on certain devices can associate app’s to use it or be excluded seems to be something that does the job.

For the moment we currently have both the old Apple TV (HD) and the new Apple TV 4K so can easily swap between Apple IDs they’re feeding the same TV so could have different egress countries and a VPN if wanted but for us we don’t have a need.

All in all though the Apple TV 4K is one of the best intermediate (net to display) devices it’s probably not the best for your use case.

When you get the inclination or time to re-examine the way your network functions you may find there is a way to simply achieve what you want, 

Good luck and may you find the “round tuit” you need????

3 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Thanks for the comprehensive answer. I can think of a few ways that might answer all the points raised, however they would require quite comprehensive knowledge of your setup, and the ways that individual devices are used to access content that needs a specific geolocation egress.

The whole project could be an exercise in futility depending on the use of devices. If you need to have a single device, Apple TV or fireTV switch between Thailand and Europe my ideas won’t work easily, if you can dedicate a device to a country exit point they could. 

I don’t know if there is any device that is really simple to switch egress points, certainly the Apple TV is not one, it isn’t designed for the job. The VPN that on certain devices can associate app’s to use it or be excluded seems to be something that does the job.

For the moment we currently have both the old Apple TV (HD) and the new Apple TV 4K so can easily swap between Apple IDs they’re feeding the same TV so could have different egress countries and a VPN if wanted but for us we don’t have a need.

All in all though the Apple TV 4K is one of the best intermediate (net to display) devices it’s probably not the best for your use case.

When you get the inclination or time to re-examine the way your network functions you may find there is a way to simply achieve what you want, 

Good luck and may you find the “round tuit” you need????

I have the easiest method. Leave the fireTV to automatically connect to the UK server with its surfshark app then watch 30 mins worth of news, then turn it off ????

https://surfshark.com/download/apple-tv-vpn

I think whatever way, wether it’s to simply install the VPN on a mango router, or by using MAC address filtering - nothing is fully automated or fool proof and that’s the issue.

8 hours ago, recom273 said:

I have the easiest method. Leave the fireTV to automatically connect to the UK server with its surfshark app then watch 30 mins worth of news, then turn it off ????

https://surfshark.com/download/apple-tv-vpn

I think whatever way, wether it’s to simply install the VPN on a mango router, or by using MAC address filtering - nothing is fully automated or fool proof and that’s the issue.

The single device, fireTV, to a country Apple TV to another was one of the possibilities.

Another involves having devices connecting to their own dedicated router and those/that router running the VPN so a router can have 1 or more devices on its IP pool, so more than a single router. That is the more complex version and requires much more understanding of of the technology, introduces quite a few chances to make fun mistakes and needs multiple routers, something I might do as I have a few most just acting as AirPlay nodes, but not something to recommend to most users.

In short the only foolproof simple way is 1 device to 1 county, however you connect.