Wattie's Tomato Sauce

D M G

2 hours ago, mstevens said:

I think baked beans are like a lot of food items, we tend to prefer the version we grew up with. Growing up in New Zealand, I prefer Watties. If you grew up in the UK or the USA or Australia, you might not find Watties to your taste and likely prefer the version you grew up with. My American friends all swore by Heinz but when I tried it, I preferred what I grew up with, Watties.

I agree with you, that's why it surprised me to find I prefer the Australian SPC beans, when I grew up in the UK where Beanz Meanz Heinz, lol.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I might as well add my impressions of the Watties baked beans. The beans themselves are a bit on the small side for my taste, very similar to Brooks. I prefer them a little bit larger, like Heinz and SPC, but nothing like as gigantic as the mutant monsters in the Ajam baked beans, lol. The sauce is nice and rich but a bit too sweet for my palette, though I expect if you grew up eating Watties then you'd probbaly find other brands like Heinz a bit on the bland side of things. Just my thoughts, anyway.

2 minutes ago, Guderian said:

I thought I might as well add my impressions of the Watties baked beans. The beans themselves are a bit on the small side for my taste, very similar to Brooks. I prefer them a little bit larger, like Heinz and SPC, but nothing like as gigantic as the mutant monsters in the Ajam baked beans, lol. The sauce is nice and rich but a bit too sweet for my palette, though I expect if you grew up eating Watties then you'd probbaly find other brands like Heinz a bit on the bland side of things. Just my thoughts, anyway.

I am rather partial to the ones with the sausages in them.. Heinz and Branston do them...... do Watties?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I am rather partial to the ones with the sausages in them.. Heinz and Branston do them...... do Watties?

I grew up on Van Camp's in the US. Not a thick sauce.  Still around, but the company has been bought and sold, etc.  A lot of Americans like Bush's.  Very rich, thick sauce.  For me, that's 50/50.

• Like 1

In my youth my "go to" snack when arriving home after an evening on the turps was a tin of baked beans (with sausages) on (usually burnt) toast. The secret was to throw in a handful of grated cheese while cooking and let it semi-melt so it had that pizza gooiness texture. I'm a Kiwi so they were obviously Wattie's.  There jingle was "It must be Wattieeeeeeeeeeeeeee's!

One memorable occasion was when I was 17 and woolshed parties at the farms of numerous sons of farmers was a thing.  Arrived home and cooking my BB a bit late at 6am - Dad awakens and goes to fetch the newspaper and enquires as to why there are four waratahs and 30 yards of barbed wire hanging out the back of my Ford Anglia.

• Haha 2