ISP is threatening to bring Wife to court over unpaid Internet bills from over 6 years ago?? SCAM or REAL?

DE Land

11 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

Noway.

Blacklisted?

(Note to myself change internet to my wifes name).

I just payed the bill whilst I was in ASQ (I had all my missed mail after 9 months away delivered to the hotel) and when I got home it was operating fine. 

• Like 1

I will tell you exactly what your wife did. She signed up for true internet and canceled it before 1 year. However she neglected to understand that when she signed up, it was for a one year contract. Ask her. She will tell you. About the collection agent, why is this weird? Back home, this is how big companies collect their debt. Also True move speaks English and Thai, both of you can just call. Ask them to produce the contract she signed and a copy of her ID card. Why on earth would you come here looking for advice. Use your common sense. And about Trie still providing service on a different account, they do it all the time if the old account is not delinquent at the time the new one was set up. Actually this is good customer service and. It bad. You turn it around and make it seem bad but it’s good. So, ask them for the contract and just because the debt is old, does not mean it expires. So, if you default on your credit card 8 years ago, does that mean you shouldn’t pay? 

Edited by wmlc
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

Invoke the prescription period for this claim. If their legal team has an ounce of competence, they wouldn't dare contest it but then again they might, just for the sake of charging them their fees.

Edited by mvdf

19 hours ago, DE Land said:

Thanks for the information. She is still a paying customer and we have a True Internet package under her name at the moment, and has been for few years. So this is weird that True is stabbing a paying customer in the back. They probably could argue that it's a different internet package, but hey, people always change and switch between packages even within one ISP. They could've detected the user/ customer's name and asked her to settle literally years ago.

In you OP you said the letter came from a third party. If that's correct it's not True that's trying to collect its a collection agency. It could easily be a scam since you claim to have current open accounts. It's not uncommon to buy customer contact lists and do a mass mailing phishing for people that will just pay without question. If it's valid they are required to provide proof off the open debt show the account that delinquent, amount and dates. Coming after you 6 years later is also a induction it's not a real debt

Sounds like a acam. A few years ago I received an invoice for unpaid True Internet fees from my old address 8 years prior. I took the invoice to a True store to complain. They past around the paper a couple times pointing at their computer screens and mumbling amongst themselves. Then said don't worry about. I asked is it fraud? They nodded yes but not sure they understood what I was saying. 

19 hours ago, DE Land said:

From my point of view they messed up big time. I'm not sure if I will pay or not (will see details). We have 3 services under True (wife and me). I will likely terminate all of them after this whole debacle

In situations like this, it's always best to negotiate it as it's a small amount and not worth the future hassle of going up with the Thai law system, e.g. lawyer costs etc......moving along is always best and putting it behind you, regardless who you think is at fault.

In other words, you should thing of the future hassle, even if you won in court, the time spent would be better served on a bar stool watching the pretties. 

1 hour ago, wmlc said:

Actually this is good customer service and. It bad. You turn it around and make it seem bad but it’s good.

Billing six years after the fact with no explanation is good customer service?????  

• Confused 1

I assume it is a fake. No company carries unpaid invoices through their accounts for six years; after the first year you move it to "deferred income", after five years latest it is to be written off.
The law office Voraman Niti Co., Ltd. - as shown in the letter head you published - does exist in Bang Phlii/Samut Praakarn, see https://www.dnb.com/business-directory/company-profiles.voraman_niti_company_limited.57fde97f30dbc674592931faf459ebc7.html.

It is more than doubtful that an ISP is using a tiny law office with - as per their own DBN-statements - four employees in the sticks of an industrial estate. And no professional would relay an outstanding, notabene six+ years old, of an amount of THB 1'700. 

I would just keep quiet; if more paperwork is arriving then ask them to prove non-payment, registered reminders etc. ???? Do not forget, you cannot prove a negative - good luck! 

• Like 1

Going by what the OP has written, it is a good possibility that this debt is his wife's. From what I can understand they lived in a condo for which his wife has signed a 12 month contract with True for a cable internet service, but before that contract was completed they moved to another condo where his wife has also signed for a True cable internet service. At this point his wife has 2 True cable internet services at the same time, but ceases to pay for the first service therefore accumulating this debt. Your wife has signed a contract for 12 months but did not pay for the full 12 months so this debt is hers. Why did you not transfer the cable service from one address to the other which would have saved a lot of this mess. It is quite common for many Thai's not to transfer the services but to just walk away without paying and then opening up another account. This does not only happen with True, it happens with all the internet and phone service providers. From experience my partner at the time signed up to 3BB for a cable service and when we split up I said to her to transfer the service to my new address but she refused to and when she got the bill from 3BB she tried to get me to pay it and I refused and I told her it was her problem because she refused to transfer the account to my new address.

Edited by Russell17au

True keep trying to sell you packages under false pretences such as exclusive Premier league access whereas Tipanee also provide PL access as part of their normal subscription. Also as part of that promotion coupled with internet they provided a free sim but forgot to give it to us until 2 yrs later!. Got fed up with their PL promotion and cancelled so they turned off their whole tv package but we still have the 'free' sim coupled with their WiFi. Tried to get all True services cancelled but my wife can't be bothered so we still have a mix of Trueservices which are impossible to unravel

And whilst we are on the subject of TRUE let's not get into their throttling practices. I phone them every three or four months to ask why my speed is a fraction of what I pay for and it is miraculously restored until a few months later and it starts to reduce again. Be doing the same crapola on me for years.

1 hour ago, chilly07 said:

Tried to get all True services cancelled but my wife can't be bothered so we still have a mix of Trueservices which are impossible to unravel

You can not even change service without making a personal visit to their office - even in covid times - it seems.  

On 8/8/2021 at 9:56 AM, worgeordie said:

If its TRUE, tell them to take it out of the 4K they owe

me, from years ago when they didn't return my deposit .????

regards Worgeordie 

Do have had the same experience with deposits made that were not returned. Or totally forgotten and then even send letter to pay while the policy is for foreigners to pay upfront 12 months or 6 months. 

rent/water/electricty/internet/phone/tv or insurance. not sure whey this is sometimes the case.

On 8/8/2021 at 3:10 PM, DE Land said:

Do I have to report to you all other scams that came our way? 

You know, these Internet People are serious business. Better have all your documentation ready for their inspection. Did I just take a wrong turn onto Reddit? ????

14 minutes ago, wmlc said:

No. But allowing you to use their service when you have have an unpaid contract is.

What unpaid contract?  Bill is unknown AFAIK and collection agency not willing to provide any details.   

5 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

What unpaid contract?  Bill is unknown AFAIK and collection agency not willing to provide any details.   

So what you do is pick up the phone and call True. Have your wife give them her name and ID card number and True will confirm and send the paperwork evidence. How difficult is that for you to understand? Perhaps you don’t want to get to the real truth that your wife might have a real debt to pay? The call Centre number is 1242. Common sense is amazing sometimes isn’t it? And guess what? If they can’t find the evidence, they will call the collection agency and tell them it’s a mistake. However, I think it’s totally true. 

Edited by wmlc

55 minutes ago, wmlc said:

So what you do is pick up the phone and call True. Have your wife give them her name and ID card number and True will confirm and send the paperwork evidence. How difficult is that for you to understand? Perhaps you don’t want to get to the real truth that your wife might have a real debt to pay? The call Centre number is 1242. Common sense is amazing sometimes isn’t it? And guess what? If they can’t find the evidence, they will call the collection agency and tell them it’s a mistake. However, I think it’s totally true. 

I am not the one with the issue.  

On 8/8/2021 at 2:07 AM, DE Land said:

But I'm ready to dispute it since we didn't use that service that time. They even said that they will charge us with their legal advice fee... Now I think they are just Bluffing and can't actually do this, or can they??

Of-course they can, she must have had a contract, regardless of using it, and failed to honour her part of the contract, for example I have 4 True accounts which are active and never used, but i signed contracts, so I have to honour them, what makes you/her so special?

Pay your bills and just be thankful to resolve this before it escalates, and the only credit she can get is for a scooter.