So what did you get out of the 2020 Olympics?

ASEAN NOW News

Yes, as I said above, too many " attractions " which are more circus than sport 

for me , it makes Olympic Games less interesting ; they should stay with  classical sports, as before

may be later, a kite competition, why not ? ????

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

What I learned....

Japan is one of the most difficult countries in the world to enter now

Most people who would normally be issued visas have been locked out for 16 months

No tourism allowed. Must be working PR etc., but No new visas are being issued unless married

Months of anti-foreigner government/media messaging. 80 percent wanted cancellation

The Japan government is a slave to foreign corporate interests, but it was totally safe

Japan has a long tradition of Xenophobia - more than Thailand.  The Japanese are just too polite to admit it........

58 minutes ago, bangon04 said:

as the UK media never tires of telling anyone who will listen every ten minutes......

When you are trying desperately to deflect from the sorry state the country is in then yes expect a lot of deflection.

• Sad 1

I watched only Highlights from AIS Play on YT. 75 percent of the commentary was in Thai,which at times was annoying especially during some of the swimming events. The commentator had a extremely high pitched voice ,so I turned the volume down.

The station carried all the major events and the highlight minutes were surprisingly long enough to enjoy. 

I always watch the games, ever since I was a young boy !

My favorite is Track and field. After that would be, Swimming(diving and synchronize swimming not so much), Volleyball , Soccer, Weightlifting , Basketball , Ping pong and Gymnastics ! 

Ais didn't cover much of baseball or golf(only when Thai's were competing in golf).

Boxing ,Wrestling ,Archery ,Rifle Shooting ,Skateboarding and Biking was boring imop .

On 8/9/2021 at 5:19 AM, ASEAN NOW News said:

So, what did you get out of watching the 2020 Olympics?

Didn't watched anything, country code blocked, and the Thai transmission required subscription. However my home country got 2 gold,  4 silver, and 4 bronze, so I followed little in the news, also that Thailand got medals, two gold I think, well done...????

15 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

...there sure was a lot of wokeness.  Glad the American women only got bronze.

Hahaha... The gold went to the Canucks who are even more "woke" than the U.S.A. team. Team Canada has the first transgender medal winner... So... More "woke" = even better footy players in your world?

15 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

All the women and their mouthpiece did was bad mouth the US.  To me the U.S. Women's team is a bunch of spoilt babies.  They sign a contract and agree to it. Then they not only want to keep everything in their contract but they also want all the benefits that the men's team gets. While the Men's team got one of the benefits that they had.

Ah... So you are anti gender-equality. In a merit-based system the U.S.A. women's footy team should be getting way MORE than their male counterparts. They are WAY more successful...

6 hours ago, mikebike said:

Ah... So you are anti gender-equality. In a merit-based system the U.S.A. women's footy team should be getting way MORE than their male counterparts. They are WAY more successful...

No I am equal pay for equal work.  The big difference in all this is that the women had just negotiated a contract that gave them everything they asked for at the time.

If they get more because they are successful then they would be willing to give back everything they get if they are not right.

The men's contract is based on how they do with a small amount for training. This is because most of the men's team play Pro ball and are already covered for medical and everything. They also if they are contracted to the team make a minimum of 100k a year. the senior tier 1 players make 167k

The big difference is the pay out at tournaments and tornament payouts are decided by the tournament not the countries.

The women's 

The good thing for me was being able to watch top-level live sport at a sensible time of day. I was in the UK for Beijing 2008, and in Thailand for London 2012 and Rio 2016, so had seen little live Olympic action for 17 years.

On 8/10/2021 at 2:31 PM, kingstonkid said:

The Olympics are a joke.  Considering that they are supposed to be apolitical there sure was a lot of wokeness.  Glad the American women only got bronze.

Also glad to see Thaialnd get a couple of medals.  Well done.

Of course there was a lot of "wokeness" - it would be hard to compete, let alone win, whilst asleep.

On 8/10/2021 at 8:04 PM, bangon04 said:

There should be a medal for that achievement - not easy to do.....

I dont know ... 

I went looking for it here in Phuket and only  managed to catch some minor stuff once or twice - some canoeing , some volleyball. 

I think the Olympics , that once you couldnt miss and hurried home to catch whole events  because   highlights  was something you could watch  over and over  on any  Free To Air  TV news  , is now something different , something not for all  the citizens of the world , something elitist and 'special'.

I mean , why cant news bulletins show  winning post video ?

Its not really broadcast widely and freely enough to be considered the property of all the worlds sports lovers any more  , is it ?