Can I open a UK bank account online without visiting the UK?

My Thai Paypal account is linked to my Thai bank accounts.  The SMS alert number is that of my ex-wife, (because I no longer live in Thailand and Paypal doesn't link to bank accounts in Laos).

Every time I use my Thai ATM cards, she gets an SMS message with details of the transactions!!  I can't change the SMS alert telephone number because I have to visit the bank itself in Thailand.  I went online to my Thai bank account and switched off the SMS alerts.  The bank sent an SMS PIN message to confirm if I really wanted to switch off these alerts.  My ex claims she never got this PIN!! (even though she gets all the 'money-spent' alerts...)

So I really want to open a new bank account where I can withdraw funds to from Paypal, and which will issue me with an ATM card to allow local ATM withdrawals in Laos.

What with KYC rules, is there a basic online bank account that I can open that links to Paypal and provides a 'cashcard', without having to visit the bank to open the account?

With most, if not all, onshore UK bank accounts, you need to be resident in the UK to open an account.

This question is asked frequently, and I've never seen details of an account that you can open from overseas.

I'll move to banking.

• Like 1

If you have a UK address with evidence, such as a utility or council tax bill, you could open an online bank account (Monzo, Wise, Revolut et al) without physically being in the UK. But your bank card will go to the UK address.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, malt25 said:

Why not email some UK banks & ask ?

LOL. Of course, they are always so helpful and would never try to sell you a crazy expensive, and impossible to open international bank account.

I hadn’t been back to the UK in years, and opened both Revolut and Monzo fine, you can set your tax residence as a different country. IIRC all I had to do was go through the KYC check which was a video of me holding my passport.

Send 'Smile Bank' an Email enquiry.

Can a non UK resident open a UK bank account?

There is no law or restriction applying to owning a UK bank account. However, things are not that simple. The absence of restrictions regarding opening an account doesn't mean it is easy to get one. Banks are in no obligation to open bank accounts if you are a non-UK citizen and/or resident.

If you have a close relative in the UK, such as a son or daughter of a mature age, then you could open a joint account with an either/or signatory choice and keep the pin numbers to yourself.

Of course you would have to have faith in your own progeny!

My son told them he did not trust me with my own money because I am getting old and forgetful

- something I will pay him back for later.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I don't know about Laos but I have opened a Transferwise account using my address in Thailand, the only catch was I needed to form a UK limited company with address service for about 100 GBP, 

After opening the company transferwise account, I was permitted to add personal account with Thai address.

No false declaration required and all above board.

Edited by Satcommlee
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Satcommlee said:

I don't know about Laos but I have opened a Transferwise account using my address in Thailand, the only catch was I needed to form a UK limited company with address service for about 100 GBP, 

After opening the company transferwise account, I was permitted to add personal account with Thai address.

No false declaration required and all above board.

The OP was asking about a cash card, which wouldn't be issued for those resident in Thailand or Laos and whilst I believe a multi currency account could be opened for Laos residents, I'm not sure that that you can even send cash to a Laos bank, it certainly isn't listed.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, kwonitoy said:

https://international.standardbank.com/

Very easy to setup online, no need to visit in person, lowest deposit required for account opening. 5,000 USD when I did it.

I'm not UK resident or even UK citizen

I opened this account from Thailand. It is an off-shore account based out of the Isle of Man so gives you all the benefits of a UK account (online banking, ATM card etc) but is classified as off-shore.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, johnnybangkok said:

I opened this account from Thailand. It is an off-shore account based out of the Isle of Man so gives you all the benefits of a UK account (online banking, ATM card etc) but is classified as off-shore.

Watch out for the fees. Minimum balance maintenance fees, card fees...

On 8/11/2021 at 12:21 PM, theoldgit said:

With most, if not all, onshore UK bank accounts, you need to be resident in the UK to open an account.

This question is asked frequently, and I've never seen details of an account that you can open from overseas.

I'll move to banking.

I know it's not the UK, per se, but some Isle of Man banks will open accounts for non-residents from overseas.   Standard is one I've had experience of recently.

4 hours ago, PaoloR said:

If you have a close relative in the UK, such as a son or daughter of a mature age, then you could open a joint account with an either/or signatory choice and keep the pin numbers to yourself.

Of course you would have to have faith in your own progeny!

My son told them he did not trust me with my own money because I am getting old and forgetful

- something I will pay him back for later.

He's got lots of family in Leicester, should not be a problem, but you should never cut ties with banks, phone numbers and Dr's in the first place.

14 hours ago, macahoom said:
On 8/11/2021 at 12:46 PM, kwonitoy said:

https://international.standardbank.com/

Very easy to setup online, no need to visit in person, lowest deposit required for account opening. 5,000 USD when I did it.

I'm not UK resident or even UK citizen

Expand  

Is this a UK bank? I've never heard of it.

No, Standard Bank International is in the Isle of Man.

Edited by Liverpool Lou