Can I open a UK bank account online without visiting the UK?

On 8/16/2021 at 12:01 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

Currently no UK bank will open accounts for non-UK residents.   That's just the way it is.

When my wife needed a bank account it was to pay her salary to her own account. And, because her work was pre-arranged, she started work just three days after she arrived in the UK.

My wife worked for a company that was attached to the NHS and she was paid monthly, directly by the NHS. She needed the bank account in her own name to prevent any possible fraud

Are you suggesting its now impossible for anybody to open a bank account in there own name when they first arrive in the UK?? or even add their name to somebody else's existing UK account.

• Confused 1

22 minutes ago, sumrit said:

Are you suggesting its now impossible for anybody to open a bank account in there own name when they first arrive in the UK?? or even add their name to somebody else's existing UK account.

No, I did not suggest that.  There may be circumstances when a bank will use its discretion regarding new accounts for applicants who are living in the country and can prove it.   

The only issue that I am commenting on here is whether UK banks will open new accounts for people who are not resident in the UK, that was not the case for your wife, obviously. 

Currently, as a general rule (it is not law), UK banks will not open new accounts for applicants who are not resident in the UK.   That is what I am saying and that is a fact.  Anyone who disputes that needs to state, specifically, which UK banks are currently allowing non-UK residents to open new accounts (without providing false address/residency information to the banks) and I will eat my words.    Such information would be very valuable for many members.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Like 1