Foreigner job changing -- from a school teacher to a company employee

Dear Guys,

I am traveling in Bangkok right now, and return back to my original working school in Changwat Ranong will take me 14 days to qurantine.Now my visa and work permit are both attached to my school of Ranong.After arriving in Bangkok, I come to know that my BKK boss has determined to accept me formally.

1.The relationship between me and my boss in Ranong is quite bad.Now I am on holiday of school.I want to quit the job of Ranong, but now I am in Bangkok, and I don't want 14 days' quarantine in Ranong and finish job quitting, which means that I want to quit on my own without the help of employer in Ranong.Is there any flexible solution?

2.The worst situation is, if I come back to Ranong, my employer refuses to let me quit the job, then what can I do to combat? Is there any attorney to recommend? Or any other NGO to help foreign worker in Thailand?

Thank you!

Normal procedure is you would need to inform your employer you are resigning from from job with a effective date on it (30 days in before in most cases). Then would do a termination letter with you last day of work.

You could then go to the immigration office that issued your extension of stay to have it canceled. If you go before your termination date they will post date the cancelation to that day. 

You or your employer will have to cancel you work permit.

You new employer will have to apply for a new work permit to get a application approval letter that will be needed to apply for a new extension prior to the cancelation date on your existing one.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/11/2021 at 3:36 PM, ubonjoe said:

Thanks for answering! Sorry I don't check this website very often.

I almost finish my quarantine in Ranong.This is the last day.

I still have 2 questions:

1.After cancelling my work permit, will the officer of foreign employment office give me a receipt saying that my work permit has already been cancelled? If they do, what's the name of receipt(For example, T.M.30, T.M.47 , document name like this)?I will take this receipt to Bangkok to show to my future employer because I want to FIRMLY tell the BANGKOK employment office that my work permit in RANONG has already been cancelled.It's EXTREMELY HORRIBLE to suffer 14 days' quarantine back and forth from BANGKOK to RANONG!!!!

2.Can I cancel work permit on my own rather than being with the accompany of my employer?

Thanks again!

------------------------

Normal procedure is you would need to inform your employer you are resigning from from job with a effective date on it (30 days in before in most cases). Then would do a termination letter with you last day of work.

You could then go to the immigration office that issued your extension of stay to have it canceled. If you go before your termination date they will post date the cancelation to that day. 

You new employer will have to apply for a new work permit to get a application approval letter that will be needed to apply for a new extension prior to the cancelation date on your existing one.

On 8/11/2021 at 8:36 AM, ubonjoe said:

is it so complicated to change jobs for a foreigner in thailand?

can't the same WP be used for many kinds of jobs?

i thought the law was changed and no need to report about a change in job, as

long as it is not a job that is reserved for thai only.

and how about SPONSORED WORK PERMIT? is it legal than? some digital nomads

are using this solution.

7 hours ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

is it so complicated to change jobs for a foreigner in thailand?

can't the same WP be used for many kinds of jobs?

Pretty straightforward, if you ask me. 

I also heard you don't need to change WP these days. 

1.After cancelling my work permit, will the officer of foreign employment office give me a receipt saying that my work permit has already been cancelled? If they do, 【【【what's the name of receipt】】】(For example, T.M.30, T.M.47 , document name like this)?I will take this receipt to Bangkok to show to my future employer because I want to FIRMLY tell the BANGKOK employment office that my work permit in RANONG has already been cancelled.It's EXTREMELY HORRIBLE to suffer 14 days' quarantine back and forth from BANGKOK to RANONG!!!!

2.Can I cancel work permit on my own rather than being with the accompany of my employer?

Thanks again!

Hi there,

Is there any reply?

Thank you!

6 hours ago, Hawkins Faulkner Martinez said:

1.After cancelling my work permit, will the officer of foreign employment office give me a receipt saying that my work permit has already been cancelled? If they do, 【【【what's the name of receipt】】】(For example, T.M.30, T.M.47 , document name like this)?I will take this receipt to Bangkok to show to my future employer because I want to FIRMLY tell the BANGKOK employment office that my work permit in RANONG has already been cancelled.It's EXTREMELY HORRIBLE to suffer 14 days' quarantine back and forth from BANGKOK to RANONG!!!!

Thanks again!

You can try to update information in your work permit after getting new employment. Just go to wp department and ask for required documents. All info in wp can be updated and amended. 

If your visa is still valid just ignore it and extend it after updating your wp.