New “Thaksin’s wave” peculiar in its timing

snoop1130

16 hours ago, KhaoNiaw said:

He's certainly not what the new generation of demonstrators are looking for. 

Agreed; somehow the Dinosaurs have to be removed once and for all and the Young must find a way to prevent Soldiers from being in Parliament again...ever !

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

He and his sister were voted in.

This is a junta thats ruining this country.

Theres no comparison.

Now theres talk about having a convicted heroine dealer succeeding Pryutt.

My Thai wife said that this government is the worst in Thai history.  That seems to be the sentiment of many Thais.

There is no comparison.

The corruptable voted in the corrupt. 

Edited by Keesters
  • Sad 3

13 hours ago, Anton9 said:

I arrived in Thailand when Yingluck was the PM and life was so much better.

Oh ye of little history. Thailand has been going down and down for decades, the last 4 of which I've been here. Economy goes up, and along with it corruption and greed increases and the poor as usual get left behind with inflation overtaking wage increases. 

Thailand can wait a long time.

The idea of replacing corrupt politicians with other corrupt politicians has no future for the country. Taksin knows that the army government is currently weak in terms of popular support; and that the infantry of the army is made up mostly of the sons of poor farmer peasants.

I hope that the honest politicians (there are actually some) can finally prevail against these corrupt robber gangs.

But there is only little hope.

All control institutions (unelected parliamentarians, NACC, courts ombutsman, press, critical voices, new democracy movements) have been systematically weakened over the years.

In the past, the army had carried out its coups, but resigned then after quickly. This time it's different. Since 7 years now and nobody knows how long this condition will last.

Edited by tomacht8

17 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

While I would prefer Thaksin to the current administration you have to ask the question.

Can Thailand really not find better leaders than this?

Yes they can, the Future Forward party guy (can’t remember his name) was the ideal candidate but he simply did not have the power to defeat the military junta.

Thaksin on the other hand may well be able to give them a good fight, but unfortunately there will be bloodshed on the streets in order for him to succeed.

The red shirts will be ready next time round, they won’t be such an easy push over as they were last time.

31 minutes ago, trainman34014 said:

I have to disagree with you on one point; 'better education' !   If this were true we would be seeing a lot more bright and informed young people around by now and i don't see any evidence of that.   Where i live in the North most Kids coming out of School used to be as thick as Planks but seems these days they have moved on to being as thick as Tree's !    They can't show you their own country on a Map; have zero knowledge of the Outside World, can't add up more than their fingers, impossible for them to have a 'sensible' conversation about anything and many can barely speak their own laguage fluently let alone speak any other.   Disgraceful for a country with such a huge Education Budget.

My adopted Thai grandson has just reached 5 years old. He appears to be quite bright and very interested in sea animals, shipwrecks, and botany. Only one language at the moment, Thai, but he uses many English nouns rather than the Thai equivalent. E. G. crab, lobster, jellyfish, cactus. 

He'll be starting school as soon as its possible. My hope is that they'll not dumb him down. 

2 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

His picture was everywhere because he ordered it to be everywhere which annoyed somebody else whose picture was already there for a long time before Thaksin, if you get my drift!

He wouldn't be wasting money on submarines, he was too busy stealing it.

He wasn't a particularly good Prime minister, he created an illusion, and many of his policies unraveled and would have unraveled even if he had remained in power.

His war on drugs was a PR exercise and many innocent people lost their lives, his rice pledging could not go on, it was built on pillars of sand, and cost the country billions, the health scheme could have worked with further funds diverted to it.

He was greedy, he was and remains a personable narcissist.

I was here throughout his reign and the coup right up to the tanks steaming through Bangkok with yellow ribbons on their sleeves, I was there taking photos.

And that was his biggest error, he alienated he who could not be alienated

HIs greed and treat was the reason the military reacted hence that's why I say he is the cause (he give the military an excuse to react) of the problems we have right now

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

17 hours ago, david555 said:

the ideal leader for Thailand is not born yet i fear ..... only he  T can count already on a winning majority at start ..... (the reason why the BKK Hiso plotted against him)..... say's enough  ????

Oh, he’s born, and has been for about 42 years. How could anyone who’s lived here for more than 20 minutes not know this?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, recom273 said:

It was a lot fun before he arrived, I only knew Thailand as a tourist, but pre-Taksin, bars closed when they wanted to, Taksins government imposed the 2.00 am closing time. Immigration was a lot more “flexible” their job wasn’t so serious.

I would love Taksin to remove this current clown, just saying, things were certainly a lot more fun, maybe it was down to the exchange rate.

And don't forget that it was during his time as PM the 11 to 2pm and after 5pm rule came in for alcohol sales. 

But that directive may have come from up higher.??

In most other countries stopping alcohol sales to underage people is handled  by using their ID card.

Every Thai carries and ID card.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Venom said:

Can you give us a clue? 

The age was the clue to the identity of he whose name cannot be spoken. But if that doesn't work for you, you can simply ask any Thai university student.

7 minutes ago, tomacht8 said:

Since founding the party, Thanathorn has advocated his vision for the party: the return of civilian government and demilitarization of Thai politics, greater political accountability, a fairer distribution of wealth, a social welfare system that promotes human dignity and greater decentralization of power.

A missed opportunity. In the end he was dismantled with all nasty Tricks.

BINGO.

17 hours ago, lolalol said:

Serious question. 

When I first came to Thailand around 2017~2018, Thais smiled a lot. Very natural and beautiful smiles. 

When I came back around 2019~2020, I sensed that Thais smiled a lot less. Very fed up looking smiles. 

Q1. Did Thais smile more before 2017?

Q2. What happened between 2018 & 2019 to make Thai smiles fade away?

I think you should chance girls in soi cowboy! After 2000 "boyfriend" is hard to smile. 

2 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

I have to disagree with you on one point; 'better education' !   If this were true we would be seeing a lot more bright and informed young people around by now and i don't see any evidence of that.   Where i live in the North most Kids coming out of School used to be as thick as Planks but seems these days they have moved on to being as thick as Tree's !    They can't show you their own country on a Map; have zero knowledge of the Outside World, can't add up more than their fingers, impossible for them to have a 'sensible' conversation about anything and many can barely speak their own laguage fluently let alone speak any other.   Disgraceful for a country with such a huge Education Budget.

Ahem! In case you didn't notice Thaksin was ousted 15 years ago,  Since then, apart from two short episodes, the country has been governed by the yellow/green network. Then how is it possible he would be responsible for the current level of education in Thailand?

• Like 1