How many months does a Thai national have to have on their passport to fly out of Thailand ?

Fishtank and upnotover seem spot on.

Your home country can't stop you from leaving, regardless of how long your passport has left on it.

It's all about the country receiving you, and 6 months is pretty standard although not written in stone as many claim.

When my daughter was nearly 5 years old we had counted down the days to go to Bali, and arrived at DMK at 5am only to be told she couldn't board the flight as she had 5 months and 2 weeks left on her Thai passport! ???????????? I won't be making that mistake again in a hurry.

3 hours ago, Dave67 said:

My Children 19 and 20 will both have British passports as well as Thai when flying to London  from Thailand  so that should get them through check in ?

Depart on the Thai in BKK enter with the UK passport in London. Leave London with The UK passport enter BKK with the Thai. Take some extra time to fill in the Arrival/Departure card for your sons, you have one part in your passport.

Be careful about using the 2 passports for the 1 trip. Remember that when you depart Thailand on a passport your exit stamp goes in that passport and when you arrive at your destination and produce a different passport that does not have your exit stamp from the country you have departed from there could be problems at your arriving country because your passport is supposed to be used for a single trip and not changed between departure of one country and arrival into another country. Also as things are with this Covid many countries are not receiving people from certain other countries. I know Australia is not receiving anyone from Thailand at the moment.

• Confused 3

10 minutes ago, Salerno said:

Incorrect, especially when talking about the countries you have citizenship for which expect you to use the relevant passport when entering and leaving said country.

hahahahahaha

25 years tells me different badge number 18111

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, fishtank said:

The problem would probably be how long to have on a passport to enter another country.

Most countries it is 6 months.

4 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

It will be stated on the website entry requirements of the country the person wants to enter, but want at least 6 calendar months from date of entry 

2 hours ago, 2long said:

Fishtank and upnotover seem spot on.

Your home country can't stop you from leaving, regardless of how long your passport has left on it.

It's all about the country receiving you, and 6 months is pretty standard although not written in stone as many claim.

When my daughter was nearly 5 years old we had counted down the days to go to Bali, and arrived at DMK at 5am only to be told she couldn't board the flight as she had 5 months and 2 weeks left on her Thai passport! ???????????? I won't be making that mistake again in a hurry.

Although many countries demand a minimum of 6 months validity for entering, its not 1 law common to all countries. Some countries demand validity for the planned length of stay, so if you go on a 2 weeks holiday to such destinations 2 weeks validity will suffice. 

Should check the regulation of your destination. 

1 minute ago, Salerno said:

Your 25 years has been wasted it appears.

No, there has been many illegal people who have tried to enter countries with fake passports and with passports that have not got a departure country stamp in it that has spent many hours in the immigration offices trying to explain how they jump on the plain from the sky with out an exit stamp and then spent many hours in holding cells at the airport to be sent back to where they came from on the passport that has the exit stamp in. 

• Haha 1

Which is totally irrelevant to your ludicrous statement:

56 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

your passport is supposed to be used for a single trip and not changed between departure of one country and arrival into another country.

Which thousands of people do every day and have done since passports and dual citizenship became a thing. 

Normally your passport need to be valid for not less than six month to enter a foreign country. An airline might not accept your bording, or check-in, if the passport is not valid for 6 month or longer. You can however always enter you home country with less than 6 month passport validity.

1 hour ago, Russell17au said:

Be careful about using the 2 passports for the 1 trip. Remember that when you depart Thailand on a passport your exit stamp goes in that passport and when you arrive at your destination and produce a different passport that does not have your exit stamp from the country you have departed from there could be problems at your arriving country because your passport is supposed to be used for a single trip and not changed between departure of one country and arrival into another country. Also as things are with this Covid many countries are not receiving people from certain other countries. I know Australia is not receiving anyone from Thailand at the moment.

Every time my children travel to the US or to a country that allows them visa-free entry on their US passports, but not on their Thai passports, when they check in with the airline they show both. They also present both at the Thai immigration booth when departing to show the immigration officer that they are allowed to enter the destination country without a visa in their Thai passports.

When entering the US or the destination country, they show only their US passport. They have never been asked to show an exit stamp from Thailand in either passport when following this procedure. When returning to Thailand, they present only their Thai passport which has neither an entry stamp nor an exit stamp from the US or other country. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Russell17au said:

No, there has been many illegal people who have tried to enter countries with fake passports and with passports that have not got a departure country stamp in it that has spent many hours in the immigration offices trying to explain how they jump on the plain from the sky with out an exit stamp and then spent many hours in holding cells at the airport to be sent back to where they came from on the passport that has the exit stamp in. 

So what would you do sat on your desk examining the passport of a traveler who has flown from a country with no embarkation controls, like the UK and the US, so no exit stamp, or those with automatic exit gates that don’t stamp passports, like Singapore?

The advice given to swap passports en route for duel nationals is perfectly sound, and happens numerous times every day of the week.

Border Force Officers in the UK receive extensive training in how to spot fake passports, as do carriers, I’d be highly surprised if Immigration Officers in Australia didn’t receive the same training.

Can we now stick to the actual question asked please?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

Every time my children travel to the US or to a country that allows them visa-free entry on their US passports, but not on their Thai passports, when they check in with the airline they show both. They also present both at the Thai immigration booth when departing to show the immigration officer that they are allowed to enter the destination country without a visa in their Thai passports...

1. The passenger name of which country's passport do you use to book the tickets for the children?
  2. If the destination country is not the USA and if it requires the API (Advanced Passenger Information) form, the information from which passport do you use?
  3. The immigration official does not check whether the passport shown him by a passenger allows the passenger to enter the destination country. As you want the departure stamp in the Thai passport, it is preferable to give the official only the Thai passport.

1 hour ago, Maestro said:

1. The passenger name of which country's passport do you use to book the tickets for the children?
  2. If the destination country is not the USA and if it requires the API (Advanced Passenger Information) form, the information from which passport do you use?
  3. The immigration official does not check whether the passport shown him by a passenger allows the passenger to enter the destination country. As you want the departure stamp in the Thai passport, it is preferable to give the official only the Thai passport.

1) The names are the same in both passports, so the name isn't an issue. 

2) Have never had to use an API form. When making the booking, we use the US passport if that is the passport that will be used at destination. 

3) One of my children was stopped by the Thai immigration officer on the way out of Thailand when she showed only her Thai passport for a trip to the US. She had to get her US passport out of her purse and show it to the immigration officer before they would allow her to pass. I was with her at the time, so I know this is true. I do not know if this is always the procedure, but my children are aware of this and have the US passport ready if asked to produce.

Edited by Etaoin Shrdlu
Content

On 8/13/2021 at 3:53 PM, Russell17au said:

My Thai wife and our daughter have departed Thailand using their Thai passports and entered other countries including Australia and the UK using their Australian passports then

re entered Thailand using their Thai passports, numerous times times over recent years.

If they didn’t they would require visas for the other countries.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, andy said:

You will not be leaving if your passport validity does not meet the destination requirements - it's the airline check-in who will stop you by not giving you a boarding pass.

Thanks Andy, but you only quoted part of my post, in which I went on to clarify about the destination country's requirements.

Good try, though. ????