How about some easy DIY bacon?

Crossy

4 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

Not sure if they are US or UK lol? I know the cup sizes are different but didn't know spoons were. In any case I wouldn't worry too much. If you trust your scales use them and of course you can copy or use the recipe. thats why I posted it ????

The old cooking thread seems to have gone dead the last couple of years. Would have thought there would have been more people at home cooking and looking for ideas

Perhaps people don't have the equipment or the knowledge to make bread, bacon, pate etc anymore. I get a lot of food ideas from the web and save some of them to use later.

For the last couple of weeks I have been trying unsuccessfully to make sourdough bread. The first one didn't wise at all and the second one doubled in size but as still flat and heavy.

• 1 month later...
12 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

if u put chop in freezer a bit will harden up and easier to slice....

press down and cut from bottom....not near your hand

sharp knives are a chefs helper

Really good advice.

Always remember that the fingers under any sharp blade are YOURS. Blunt knives will make cutting harder and cause more damage to your fingers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

I do commercial quantities of bacon. I wouldn't freeze it. Better to put it in the fridge on a tray / rack and let it sit uncovered for 2 or 3 days. Your bacon flavor will intensify and easier to slice. I actually do mine in the oven very slow (about 140 C) for an hour or so, just when the bacon is starting to feel firm then let it sit in the fridge to dry for 2 days. Get great results on the slicer and absolutely no loss of flavor

What cuts do you do Kenny? As l said, I've being do only loin. What cut would you use for collar bacon?

Cheers.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, billd766 said:

Really good advice.

Always remember that the fingers under any sharp blade are YOURS. Blunt knives will make cutting harder and cause more damage to your fingers.

im culinary trained..been slingin hash for 30+ yrs   even was a chef here in LOS

might try a fish filet knife on that chop for thin cut.....or butterfly cut  sharp blade is key

• Like 1

On 7/15/2022 at 4:00 PM, Kenny202 said:

Not sure mate, I have just stuck to loin. My wife uses it commercially in her restaurant and I don't want one kilo of streaky middle bacon to end up as 100 grams of crispy bacon and a 900 gram pool of fat on the griddle. Just bot commercially viable and too messy for us. Also very difficult to slice properly unless really dried out. If you want a bit more fat one end (thicker end) of the loin is fattier than the other end. Makro is great for that as they usually have 1kg pieces, just select the ones you want. Look for marbling or grain in the actual meat too (like Wagyu). Some of the pork here is just too lean.

Not sure about collar but I can't see why not? Best way is to get a kilo or two and try it. I am sure it will still be nice. I think collar (neck) here is one of the most expensive cuts right? Where as back home would be one of the cheapest. Like chicken breast here. great for us foreigners who cook at home ????

Shoulder makes nice bacon. Less fat than belly but more than loin. I smoke mine. Easy enough using pellets

Edited by bang saen guy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 8 months later...

I am about to cure my next Pork Loin (dunno what's wrong with it ! ), but see so many different ratios of salt/sugar/Prague ranging from 2:1: 0,2.5, to 27gm/2.0gm/2.5gm per kilo.

From you experienced Baconers, which is the best please?

9 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

I am about to cure my next Pork Loin (dunno what's wrong with it ! ), but see so many different ratios of salt/sugar/Prague ranging from 2:1: 0,2.5, to 27gm/2.0gm/2.5gm per kilo.

From you experienced Baconers, which is the best please?

For a dry cure the calculator linked to on the original page works just fine for me (and I've not grown an extra arm or anything) ???? 

https://www.localfoodheroes.com/my-favourite-bacon/

For 1kg it gives this: -

image.png.ed7dd3e6ecdd0318b22261725b6db1c3.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Crossy said:

For a dry cure the calculator linked to on the original page works just fine for me (and I've not grown an extra arm or anything) ???? 

https://www.localfoodheroes.com/my-favourite-bacon/

For 1kg it gives this: -

image.png.ed7dd3e6ecdd0318b22261725b6db1c3.png

Just put some in the bag using your ratios, but with an added flavour............a good squirt of HP Sauce! Will tell you next week if it is any good.

• Love It 1

8 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Just put some in the bag using your ratios, but with an added flavour............a good squirt of HP Sauce! Will tell you next week if it is any good.

It will be the longest week of your life!

Don't forget to turn and massage every day.

• Like 1