How about some easy DIY bacon?

Crossy

• 3 months later...
On 11/21/2021 at 12:37 PM, Crossy said:

Unsmoked version here, I'm sure adding some liquid-smoke to the cure would work pretty well.

https://www.localfoodheroes.com/salt-corned-beef/

We don't eat beef so I can't test ???? 

Hello Crossy,

I am going to try to make some bacon following the info you provided (Local heroes)

It seems the amounts of salt #1 and salt are rather important.

Could I ask what scales you are using please?

Mine aren't too accurate.

Thanks.

I have some ancient Tesco electronic scales, but they only show to the nearest gram.

So I use the "don't have accurate scales" method from here https://www.localfoodheroes.com/dry-cured-bacon-tutorial/

If you don’t have accurate scales:

Make up a batch of cure:
Salt 220gm
Sugar 80gm
Cure #1 – 24gm
Sodium ascorbate 4gm (optional)

Now, ensuring it’s well mixed (you could grind it in a clean coffee grinder, if you have one, to make sure) use 33gm per kg meat. So in this case that would be 33gm x 1.93kg = 63.69gm (64gm to make it easier to weigh).

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/14/2021 at 12:26 PM, KannikaP said:

I do exactly the same but 2kg at a time, and add some Liquid Smoke to the curing salt, and rub some in before the oven. I forget where I got it, on T 'internet somewhere.

The Sodium Ascorbate mentioned in the recipe is E330, Citric Acid, so I guess a squeeze of lemon might suffice.

Hi,

I saw liquid smoke lobo brand via Lazada and remember your comment as above. 

Could you please explain "rub some in before the oven"?

Thank you very much 

1 hour ago, james.d said:

Hi,

Thank you very much 

Err, rub some of the liquid smoke into the meat before putting it in the oven.

On 4/5/2022 at 6:08 PM, james.d said:

Hi,

Thank you very much 

"

On 4/5/2022 at 6:08 PM, james.d said:

Hi,

Thank you very much 

KannikaP

Err, rub some of the liquid smoke into the meat before putting it in the oven.

KannikaP

"It does not mention any 'cooking"" ie a few hours at very low temperature, about 60 C. Does it not need that? "

Pity the original poster couldn't be bothered to properly explain it to you.

Edited by nahkit

8 minutes ago, nahkit said:

"It does not mention any 'cooking"" ie a few hours at very low temperature, about 60 C. Does it not need that? "

Pity the original poster couldn't be bothered to properly explain it to you.

As the OP.

Since I don't smoke (real or fake) my bacon, nor do I do any "cooking" at low or high temperature before it goes in the frying pan ready to pair with the eggs etc. I saw no reason to respond to the comment on liquid smoke.

The ham although not smoked does get steamed to cook so it can go on sarnies straight from the fridge. Accompanied by a nice smear of real Coleman's mustard of course.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Crossy said:

As the OP.

Since I don't smoke (real or fake) my bacon, nor do I do any "cooking" at low or high temperature before it goes in the frying pan ready to pair with the eggs etc. I saw no reason to respond to the comment on liquid smoke.

The ham although not smoked does get steamed to cook so it can go on sarnies straight from the fridge. Accompanied by a nice smear of real Coleman's mustard of course.

By original poster, I was referring to kannikaP, and that is who I quoted. I've edited my post to show the origin of the posts to which I am replying.

Edited by nahkit
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, nahkit said:

By original poster, I was referring to kannikaP, and that is who I quoted.

Did the quote go wrong as it says james.d?

If you want to refer to a member you can put an "@" before their username then everyone is clear who you mean. OP or Original Poster invariably means the thread starter.

So @nahkit will get you a notification that you were mentioned and allow you to respond as required.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Did the quote go wrong as it says james.d?

Go look at the posts on the 5th of April, James D asked a question and KannikaP replied.

Sorry if that is confusing, edit my reply as you see fit.

2 minutes ago, nahkit said:

Go look at the posts on the 5th of April, James D asked a question and KannikaP replied.

Sorry if that is confusing, edit my reply as you see fit.

Seems you beat me to any edit.

16 minutes ago, Crossy said:

As the OP.

I did a batch of honey and mustard powder bacon as a dry cure for about 10 days. It came out very nicely, but either the honey or the mustard leaves black bits in the frying pan. It tasted very nice though.

• Like 1

On 8/14/2021 at 12:42 PM, Crossy said:

If you have accurate scales you can use the smaller quantities of cure etc. You need to be able to measure 2.5g of cure per kg. Not got accurate scales, mix the larger quantity and keep what you don't use for next time.

Bacon gets sliced and fried!

have yer tried cooking in microwave????

On 8/14/2021 at 4:47 PM, Crossy said:

Cheap and cheerful https://www.lazada.co.th/products/i989076031-s6199684323.html

Madam said she didn't want one of the manual "slice when frozen" ones. We shall see how well it does the job.

26ce725a74814a9454154cfeb40ccc55.jpg_220

Hi Crossy,

After 7+ months, would you recommend this slicer? I'm looking to buy one for ham, bacon and bread. Many look the identical on Lazada but prices vary between 1,500 and 4,000.

On 8/14/2021 at 11:16 AM, Crossy said:

As a Brit I like my bacon sliced a bit thicker than is commonly available here at a sensible price.

Funny I've found locally sourced bacon, even from a Brit, to be about 3 times thicker than I was used to in UK, makes you feel like your eating gammon not bacon.

13 hours ago, toofarnorth said:
On 8/14/2021 at 9:42 PM, PeasAndGravy said:

Well done @Crossy. Looks great. It would be even better with a couple of sausages, black pudding and half a tin of baked beans.

Are you allowed to say Black pudding these days.  Sausages and the baked beans would suit me sir.

I like a bit of white pudding as well as black pudding on my brekkie.

Edited by Mutt Daeng
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

Hi Crossy,

After 7+ months, would you recommend this slicer? I'm looking to buy one for ham, bacon and bread. Many look the identical on Lazada but prices vary between 1,500 and 4,000.

They are great, the one I got was very very similar to Crossy. Mine came from Lazada with two blades. For around 1500B.

As mentioned, you need to freeze the meat, it takes a tiny bit of skill to find the right pressure to slice the meat to the right thickness. I do about 2-3 kg per time, and it makes light work of it. It doesn’t really do wafer thin but thin enough for most tastes, certainly good enough for brits. 

I hate going to those 99B korean BBQ places, with a passion if they play loud music - but the wife loves it - its way healthier to buy some meat and slice it up and cook at home, let the missus invite some locals. The machine is good for that. 

As also mentioned, it’s essential kit for anyone living in the boonies. 

10 hours ago, foreverlomsak said:

Funny I've found locally sourced bacon, even from a Brit, to be about 3 times thicker than I was used to in UK, makes you feel like your eating gammon not bacon.

Yes, I tried some from various folks on Facebook - for 2000B you can set yourself up with the kit to make it with ease. 

Every couple of months I buy 2-3kg of pork, steal some plastic bags from macro, 10 days in the fridge, 30 mins at the cutting machine, bagged up, in the freezer - Enough until I get to macro again.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, recom273 said:

Every couple of months I buy 2-3kg of pork,

You can make 2-3kg of bacon last 2 months???

Too many members of the extended family now like Farang Bacon (they didn't until they tried it of course).

They also "didn't like" kimchi, until persuaded to test it, now I have to go and buy extra when they come for our Korean barbie - Thai Style ???? 

No photo description available.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

You can make 2-3kg of bacon last 2 months???

Too many members of the extended family now like Farang Bacon (they didn't until they tried it of course).

They also "didn't like" kimchi, until persuaded to test it, now I have to go and buy extra when they come for our Korean barbie - Thai Style ???? 

No photo description available.

Don't you find that it gets a bit much after a while, bacon sandwiches for lunch? The missus doesn't have so much of a family.

I had a few mates take a couple of packs, then when they came back sniffing, I gave them a few spoons of the pink salt and a bag of thyme and told them to get down macro first thing in the morning (to get the decent cuts of pork)

However, English muffins and banana loaf - 50% seem to be distributed amongst the village as soon as they come out of the oven. "It's like tamboon innit" is the usual reply.

Edited by recom273
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Kenny202 said:

2.5 grams of Prague powder is half a teaspoon. Just get yourself a proper set of measuring spoons (Makro, Lazada) and do it that way. Accurately measuring small weights like this not reliable on a kitchen scale and you can poison yourself if you put in two much pink powder.

Recipe I have been using for 5 years very simple. We make 6-10kg at a time and bombproof. Tastes excellent.....

All measurements are per 2kg pork. Multiply it as needed.....

1 level teaspoon pink Prague powder

1/4 cup sea salt (kilo bags avail local markets 10 baht)

Desert spoon mustard

Desert spoon honey

That's it! I mix the salt with the pink salt well with a fork before adding the wet ingredients.

Once it's all mixed up it is rubbed into the pork....every nook and cranny or you can get uncured areas.

I buy big strong plastic bags approx 2 ft x 1 ft. Lay the pork in the bag and start massaging the mix in all over.

On the sides, top, Then I turn them all over and do the other side. Get all the air out of the bag and tie a knot in the end of it as the cure will suck all the moisture out of the Pork and you don't want that running around your fridge. Put it in the fridge, turning every day and 7 days you will have beautiful bacon. Not salty or anything.

After curing give it a good wash and get all the cure mix off it, get it as dry as possible and let it sit in the fridge uncovered on a rack for 2 days. It will dry and harden it a bit and make slicing a lot easier. I have a commercial slicer but I cheat a bout now and put the bacon on a rack in the oven on very low (120C) for about 2 hours or until it feels like it has stiffened. back in the fridge for a day or two and then slice. We make up packs of about 250 grams and freeze it. Freezes really well

I used to smoke it but don't bother anymore

The electronic scales that I bought In Makro years ago measure to the nearest gram. What measuring spoons do use. US or UK?

I find that using my scales is far more accurate than any measuring spoons, plus I can set it to Imperial or Metric weights.

I turn the scales on and wait a couple of seconds the put whatever bowl I am using on the scales and zero them before adding whatever I am making.

If you have no objection I will copy your recipe for the next time I make some bacon.

Edited by billd766
Added extra text

11 minutes ago, billd766 said:

The electronic scales that I bought In Makro years ago measure to the nearest gram. What measuring spoons do use. US or UK?

I find that using my scales is far more accurate than any measuring spoons, plus I can set it to Imperial or Metric weights.

I turn the scales on and wait a couple of seconds the put whatever bowl I am using on the scales and zero them before adding whatever I am making.

If you have no objection I will copy your recipe for the next time I make some bacon.

Not sure if they are US or UK lol? I know the cup sizes are different but didn't know spoons were. In any case I wouldn't worry too much. If you trust your scales use them and of course you can copy or use the recipe. thats why I posted it ????

The old cooking thread seems to have gone dead the last couple of years. Would have thought there would have been more people at home cooking and looking for ideas

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1