Apec Business Travellers Card

I'm not sure if this has been covered before (perhaps on the Visa sub-forums), but I've recently discovered this little gem. It's open to people who travel frequently around APEC countries (most of Asia, including Thailand, Vietnam, China, Indonesia, Philippines etc) and basically negates getting a visa for those countries in advance. It also gives a usual 90-day automatic right of stay in that country and, i believe, no restrictions on the number of times it can be used in year.

Best of all, you can use the diplomatic channels at immigration, so no queueing.

All for NZ$150 for three years if you're a Kiwi.

its a great little thing to have. even if you just use it for cutting lines! i went to australia recently and there must have been a 100m long queue for immigration. straight into the crew lane for me and i only had about 8 people in front of me. one flight attendant tried to call me up on it but i just showed him my card so he wouldnt get antsy about it and i was right as rain.

ive had mine for a few years now. never did get that clearance for china though! no idea why that is.

I'm not sure if this has been covered before (perhaps on the Visa sub-forums), but I've recently discovered this little gem. It's open to people who travel frequently around APEC countries (most of Asia, including Thailand, Vietnam, China, Indonesia, Philippines etc) and basically negates getting a visa for those countries in advance. It also gives a usual 90-day automatic right of stay in that country and, i believe, no restrictions on the number of times it can be used in year.

Best of all, you can use the diplomatic channels at immigration, so no queueing.

Search the forum. Covered extensively before.It has been around for a while.

It is only open to bona-fide business travellers that are citizens of 17 out of 21 APEC nations, not every person will qualify.Takes a while to ge the Thai clearances too.

http://www.businessmobility.org/key/abtc.html

I have one.

Best perk, AFAIC, is using the diplomatic lane at the airport.

China has always been there as far as I know. they were part of the scheme when i got my card two years ago. (after an online check it appears that i have now been accepted by China).

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Bendix, thats a helpful bit of info cheers. Are there any requrements as to how many countries must be visited a year etc?

We are looking at moving to Chiang mai early next from NZ so will definitely look into this. Also wondering if it would be valid for a family rather than an individual?

Have you been living in Thailand long?

We're looking forward to giving it a go.

We have been there a few times but moving the family there is going to be a challenge. Any tips would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Chris

I can't advise on how many countries you must have visited to apply - i suspect there is no particularly number, but it does ask the question on the NZ application form so it can't be something they completely ignore. I suspect they ask it to ensure you are a bonafide business traveller.

On the family issue - again, I'm not sure. As it's meant for business travel, I would be surprised if you coulde get your family through on it too, but don't take my word for that.

If you Google the words, you'll find all the relevant information and an NZ application form to download.

Edited by bendix

the APEC card wouldn't be the way to bring the family as far as I understand given that the stated pupose of the card is for business travel, and not for permanent stays. I doubt that those under 18 would even be able to get one.

if Kiwifamily has a question about long term visas for Thailand, I highly recommend him asking the question in the visas section at the top of the the main forum where you'll get lots of good advice.