Thaivisa Barbeque Party In Chiang Mai !

george

As someone who almost never has a night out or a drink :o I will commit myself to dragging my baggy ar#e out of my San Kamphaeng mud hut to join in.

Hasa date been set? - please make it a weekend. I have a job and a mid week bash makes it harder but not impossible

CB

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saturday,18 August would be fine from this end. Please don't forget that we are bringing mesquite smoked BBQ ribs and perhaps mesquite smoked chicken, pulled pork sandwiches or pork fillets, so make sure the venue you select is on board with that.

Buckwheat are you proposing to supply ALL the food then ? :rolleyes

Thanks for the question...

That all depends on if you guys and gals recon possible venues, score them and ultimately choose one. Then we can initiate a sign-up thread to get an idea of how many members are interested in attending. If you check the last 3 party threads you will see that providing the BBQ was done in each instance....after recons were done and a venue suitable to all local members was selected, along with the agreement of the owner/operator to allow us to provide the BBQ.

We dont want to haul the smokers 1000 km to cook for 5 members. It will take 2 - 3 days to cook so expect a sign-up thread to appear around the 1st of August with a cut off date

to give us enough time to order, prep and smoke the meat with a set number of members to feed.

So signing up for a party that 1) doesn't have a firm date set and 2) has no selected venue is probably a little premature at this time.

Agree on a date, recon possible venues, select one and have a party!

post-13660-1180678028_thumb.jpg

Dates, I would personally suggest either the 11th or the 18th of August. I know I can make those dates. They are both Saturdays, which makes things much easier for those who work Mon-Fri, whether in CM or elsewhere. A Friday or Sunday would cut out most from elsewhere.

With all due respect to Milton and those who like central venues, I believe we should look at some place a little way outside town and arrange transport to and from. Many of the restaurants away from town are stunningly beautiful and have large areas to mill around in. This, I believe, would make a big difference and contribute to a successful event.

Dates, I would personally suggest either the 11th or the 18th of August. I know I can make those dates. They are both Saturdays, which makes things much easier for those who work Mon-Fri, whether in CM or elsewhere. A Friday or Sunday would cut out most from elsewhere.

Friday or Saturday is good for me with the preference to do Friday simply because I have another commitment on Saturday

With all due respect to Milton and those who like central venues, I believe we should look at some place a little way outside town and arrange transport to and from. Many of the restaurants away from town are stunningly beautiful and have large areas to mill around in. This, I believe, would make a big difference and contribute to a successful event.

I suspect that even UG will break out of the walled moat area if there is the option of home smoked bbq ribs on offer. :o

CB

Probably the 18th p1p.....HRH The Queens birthday is on the 12th.

I suspect that even UG will break out of the walled moat area if there is the option of home smoked bbq ribs on offer. :o

CB

If they are as good as CM Soul Brother's Salsa Kitchen ribs I might.

Will there be sleazy women close by? :D

Can I suggest we settle on the 18th then. It gives everybody concerned a good eleven weeks to make arrangements.

There will be bound to be some who can't make any date, so reaching 100% consensus will be impossible and some disappointment inevitable anyway.

Can I suggest we settle on the 18th then. It gives everybody concerned a good eleven weeks to make arrangements.

There will be bound to be some who can't make any date, so reaching 100% consensus will be impossible and some disappointment inevitable anyway.

18th sounds good to me - can we get a consensus on which month? :o

CB

I suspect that even UG will break out of the walled moat area if there is the option of home smoked bbq ribs on offer. :D

CB

If they are as good as CM Soul Brother's Salsa Kitchen ribs I might.

Will there be sleazy women close by? :D

Where is the Salsa Kitchen??? :o

If you are coming from the Moon Muang road intersection with Gecko Books and (the original) Mike's Burgers and going toward the new Chiang Mai Saloon and the Fish and Chips shop, you take a right on the small soi just after the UN Irish Pub. go about 20 meters and turn on a dirt road with a bunch of hippy restaurants with live music.

You will see the sign for Salsa Kitchen and it is the only one worth eating at.

Bukwheat,

I am sure you have done this before.

I imagine the person who owns the venue will have to accept that they are not gonna make any money from food ,but would from drink.

Is that correct?

Are you also saying that you wold need to be at the venue 3 days in advance to prepare everything?

There has to be an upside from their point of view as they could well be turning away business as they would need all their staff to cope with us TV'ers. For example our restauant could not cope with something on this scale on a Saturday night as it is our busiest night of the week...but we could on a Sunday aternoon. I hope you see my point..I dare say any venue could cope with it on a Sunday afternoon, but a Saturday would be difficult for hem.

We Just need to know this as some venues may not be keen on handing their restaurant over on their busiest night.....maybee it would be better if someone offered up their house instead.?Or maybe a guesthouse with a large garden..its low season so may might be happy to be considered.

A TV party this size has never occured in CM before.

Thanks in advance for your reply..I am sure there will be a big turnout for this one.

TP

I hate to say this, but I'm afraid that the Laughing Leprechan doesn't do enough business at this time of the year to worry about losing regular customers because of Thai Visa.

Very centrally located, big garden, big air-con room inside.

As far as parking goes, I would guess that parking over at Ratchamanka Road at that time of night would not be too difficult, and it is only a short walk to the Pub. Also, There are parking spaces in front of all the Gecko Books locations. Feel free to park there. :o

I imagine the person who owns the venue will have to accept that they are not gonna make any money from food ,but would from drink.

I'm sure there will be quite a bit of food ordered to supplement the ribs, such as salads, Thai food for those who don't want ribs, many other items to accompany the entree. As for drinks, I suspect they will be making a great deal of money from this. :o

We Just need to know this as some venues may not be keen on handing their restaurant over on their busiest night

This is one of the reasons a recon is necessary, to discuss with the owner(s) if they are willing and able to handle this type of group. Some places do allow group reservations.

As for me, Saturday is best for the same reason as p1p - work. So the 18th is fine.

Bukwheat,

I am sure you have done this before.

Yes I have....quite a few times

Is that correct?

That is not correct...all the side orders, drinks and orders from people who do not care to eat what is provided will come from the venue. If you know someone in the business, ask him what he would rather do...sell food to 50 people or sell drinks to 50 people?

Are you also saying that you wold need to be at the venue 3 days in advance to prepare everything?

No....the only reason we would be at the venue 3 days in advance is to ensure the beer is cold enough...and that will be done by ramdom sampling 10 or 20 of them per day!

There has to be an upside from their point of view as they could well be turning away business as they would need all their staff to cope with us TV'ers. For example our restauant could not cope with something on this scale on a Saturday night as it is our busiest night of the week...but we could on a Sunday aternoon. I hope you see my point..I dare say any venue could cope with it on a Sunday afternoon, but a Saturday would be difficult for hem.

The pits are self contained and the smoking can be done on the side of the road if need be. The venue selected DOES NOT need to provide their kitchen for 3 days. The ribs will be brought into the venue a few hours before the party kicks off. 50+ people coming into a place of business to drink, meet, greet and eat sounds like an upside to me.

We Just need to know this as some venues may not be keen on handing their restaurant over on their busiest night.....maybee it would be better if someone offered up their house instead.?Or maybe a guesthouse with a large garden..its low season so may might be happy to be considered.

Handing over their restaurant? Do you mean that serving 50+ customers that they wouldn't have if the party was held elsewhere is handing over their restaurant? And as you state, it's low season so I would assume there are quite a few places that would covet the business as well as the publicity. We won't know until you recon and discuss it with the owner/operators.

A TV party this size has never occured in CM before.

That's what they said in Pattaya too (62)....and Phuket (55) and Surin (55). Seems to me with the interest already generated that this may be the biggest yet.

Thanks in advance for your reply..I am sure there will be a big turnout for this one.

I hope so too....the benchmark is 62.....Can you top that?

TP

This thread has been running now for 6 days with many good ideas and suggested venues. But unless each and every one of you know every venue suggested, it would benefit all concerned if you, as a group, would select one or two per week to meet at and evaluate. Even if you can't make it on say, a Friday or Saturday at 7pm, maybe you could drop in to the designated recon site during the week and score it using the spreadsheet that Baz was kind enough to generate and post here

I hope this answers your questions, and maybe Baz, Rocco and I will meet a few of you for a recon in a couple of weeks! Never too soon to check the temp of the beer!!!!

I see what you are saying Buckwheat, however a few of the regular TV night outers have yet to post anything...there are some that have posted that I know for sure will not come, people up here seem to prefer annonimity ,which is of course is their right.

I personally think that instead of asking memebers to do recon's on your behalf one of the members that has said he could handle it should be selected. Which is why I suggested Tusker's...who has the time or inclination to go from place to place to see if it is suitable for us TV members?

You are looking for volunteers...I hope someone does ths for you.....unless you are prepared to accept Tusker's offer to host it.?

Do you do this professionally? ie do you make a living out of it or is it just for fun? I ask because you call yourself a "Hickory smoked memeber"

Regards

TP

I see what you are saying Buckwheat, however a few of the regular TV night outers have yet to post anything...there are some that have posted that I know for sure will not come, people up here seem to prefer annonimity ,which is of course is their right.

I understand that and we'll just have to go with the ones who do post and evaluate venues. The party thread will state the time and place and everyone will have to opportunity to sign up or abstain. That's their choice.

I personally think that instead of asking memebers to do recon's on your behalf one of the members that has said he could handle it should be selected. Which is why I suggested Tusker's...who has the time or inclination to go from place to place to see if it is suitable for us TV members?

It's not on "our behalf"...it's YOUR party and we will be there. Yes, one member has said he could handle it as many proprietors will say if they are approached. The consensus may very well be Tuskers and that would be fine. But when you go out to eat you are given a menu in order that you may make a choice. That's exactly what recons provide....a choice. I personally don't have a clue about the venues in Chiang Mai and we are relying on the local members to make a valued judgement in selecting the best for the members...not for us.

You are looking for volunteers...I hope someone does ths for you.....unless you are prepared to accept Tusker's offer to host it.?

"A point man" in Chaing Mai would be greatly appreciated and very helpful, but if no one will assist, we'll try to find a way to make a party for you. Again.....YOU are selecting the venue.....not us. All we are trying to do is organize a BBQ party in Chiang Mai for the Thai Visa members and we are using (or attempting to use) techniques that have proven successful, or in some cases techniques that we wished we had used at past BBQ parties.

Do you do this professionally? ie do you make a living out of it or is it just for fun? I ask because you call yourself a "Hickory smoked memeber"

No I do not. My Dad taught me to BBQ a long time ago and I have been doing it on every occasion that requests it for many years, and yes...it is for fun. I don't make 1 baht out of BBQ parties. That being said, I have been known to accept a Heineken or two.

Regards

TP

Once again, I hope this answers your questions.

So far no other proprietors haver stepped forward and committed to their venue other than Milton Bentley of Tuskers.. Therefore i think (as do others that i know WILL turn up) that based on the fact Tuskers are regular posters, and he is willing to accommadate the party should be enough to commit to the venue now. I feel the longer you leave it the more flakey a venue becomes with regards to commitment. Just my 3.3 satangs. :o

P.S I have done a few recons over the last 48 hours an no one has shown any real interest except Milton as you all know already.

Edited by Austhaied

So far no other proprietors haver stepped forward and committed to their venue other than Milton Bentley of Tuskers.. Therefore i think (as do others that i know WILL turn up) that based on the fact Tuskers are regular posters, and he is willing to accommadate the party should be enough to commit to the venue now. I feel the longer you leave it the more flakey a venue becomes with regards to commitment. Just my 3.3 satangs. :o

P.S I have done a few recons over the last 48 hours an no one has shown any real interest except Milton as you all know already.

Precisely. well I said I would do it ..but then withdrew as we could not cope with it on a Saturday night, I know from attending Milton's opening do that he is far better equipped to deal with such an event...plus he's a top bloke. Parking need not be an issue, I never had any problems on his openng night and there must have been over a hundred people there.

Also I don't know of any other posters that have restaurants

Thank you Buckwheat for putting this on for us, lets hope that we have a GREAT response and will look forward to meeting you in August

Thank you Buckwheat for putting this on for us, lets hope that we have a GREAT response and will look forward to meeting you in August

You're welcome Tp, however, it's TV (george) who is the driving force behind this...I'm just the short order cook!

bbq-smile.gif

Having just left Grahame at The Pub and tasted his Cod and Chips (the best in Chiang Mai) washed down with a pint of creamy John Smiths draft beer I have to give him my vote. He is very keen to host the TV BBQ, especially following the extensions to his bar and restaurant. In addition his garden facilities are more than adequate as is his car parking area. By August he expects the bungalow accommodation currently under construction, to be complete for long distant revellers. I have attached a map for those not familiar with the location of The Pub.

And for the not-so-faint-hearted he now stocks Newcastle Brown Ale, granted not everybody's tipple but the elixir of life to some.

post-32790-1180777926_thumb.jpg

Cheers

TP's suggested dates would be Saturday 18 or Sunday 19 August. That would suit me fine, as I return to CM on August 16. Assuming a date no earlier than Friday 17 August, I can confirm my presence (in case anybody cares...).

/ Priceless

Saturday,18 August would be fine from this end. Please don't forget that we are bringing mesquite smoked BBQ ribs and perhaps mesquite smoked chicken, pulled pork sandwiches or pork fillets, so make sure the venue you select is on board with that.

Thanks!!!

Buckwheat,

Now chicken also, ooo ahh my aching belly. 2 from Pattaya should be there. Ask if y'all need any help, Pattaya or CM.

Thanks

kdf + she runs with scissors

The Queen Victoria Inn would be another good option.

http://www.queenvictoriainnsthailand.com/Q...angmaiindex.htm

A major advantage of the Queen Vic is that it has on site accomodation which is comfortable and reasonably priced. It also has parking there for anyone driving in from out of town. Anyone coming in by air can get collected from the Airport. Depending on the number and negotiation skills of the members coming in they should be able to get a discount of the room rate.

CB

Pattayans should likely get less vote credit than locals, but Queen Vic would get ours.

kdf + she who runs with scissors

Having just left Grahame at The Pub and tasted his Cod and Chips (the best in Chiang Mai) washed down with a pint of creamy John Smiths draft beer I have to give him my vote. He is very keen to host the TV BBQ, especially following the extensions to his bar and restaurant. In addition his garden facilities are more than adequate as is his car parking area. By August he expects the bungalow accommodation currently under construction, to be complete for long distant revellers. I have attached a map for those not familiar with the location of The Pub.

And for the not-so-faint-hearted he now stocks Newcastle Brown Ale, granted not everybody's tipple but the elixir of life to some.

post-32790-1180777926_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Me Mam's a Geordie and broon is a seriously good drink for real men. Cod and chips sounds like good grub for a sceadugenga living in a cave outside Chiang Rai who's wife only lets him off the leash for special occasions. (I think she's reading my TV blog).

I also think that The Pub would be a good venue. A bit of history there too. It must be one of Chiang Mai's oldest surviving farang watering holes.

Maybee so..but does whoever owns the Pub have anything to do with TV???

Wheras Tuskers is a prolific TV member and has hosted TV get=togethes before

My vote aint changng :o

Reason for edit. Smelling pisstakes

Edited by ThaiPauly

I'll go for Tuskers too.Great venue,plenty of room and a good host.(if you can say that about a pommie.... :o ) Within walking distance of many Hotels and Guest Houses and a 2 min tuk tuk ride to Loy kro....if you feel that way inclined. :D

Edited by chuchok