Can I get a ISO file made of a PC application on CD-ROM to install on a Laptop with no cd drive?

WaveHunter

I need an older Windows software application that's only sold on CD-ROM or DVD.  My computer does not have a CD-ROM drive, so the only way I can install it is if I can do it with an "ISO file" made from the CD-ROM, I guess.

I don't have a lot of knowledge about this stuff so I'm hoping some one who does can advise me.

Basically I have Windows 10 and Windows XP loaded as virtual OS's with VMware Fusion on my MacBook pro so that I can run Windows programs on it.  The problem is that my MacBook Pro has no CD-ROM/DVD drives.

I've heard of people being able to convert applications on CD-Roms to "ISO files" so they can install the programs using a thumb drive but I'm just not so sure how it all works.

I can say that the application has only one CD-ROM, and since this software dates back to 2009, I don't think there are any anti-copy or password issues...BUT that's one thing I'm not so sure of

Edited by WaveHunter

If you have access to a computer with a CD/DVD drive you should be able to just copy all the files on the CD, including any hidden files, to a folder on a USB flash drive. Then move that folder to the computer where you want to install the program and run the installer exe.

12 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

What a dope I am LOL...why didn't I think of that in the first place?  Thanks ????

Was exactly what i was going to ask.  You can indeed change files from cdrom to an usb drive but you need to be able to read the cdrom drive first. So that wont help you.

3 hours ago, KeeTua said:

If you have access to a computer with a CD/DVD drive you should be able to just copy all the files on the CD, including any hidden files, to a folder on a USB flash drive. Then move that folder to the computer where you want to install the program and run the installer exe.

15 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

Basically I have Windows 10 and Windows XP loaded as virtual OS's with VMware Fusion on my MacBook pro so that I can run Windows programs on it. 

What makes you decide which programs you run with XP or W10 please?

This would be a more reliable seller positive ratings 94% ship ontime 99% and over 1,000 sold. There is a review that said works fine on Macbook Pro.

498 Baht

Supports: Windows 98 /SE / ME / 2000 / XP/ vista /windows 7 8 10, and work with all version MAC OS

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/dvd-writer-external-cddvd-rw-usb-30-dvd-external-dvd-rw-geek-paradise-i236206684-s362383426.html

1 hour ago, robblok said:

That is all good and nice but if you cant read the original cd rom then you cant put it onto an usb drive.

Solly,  I thought you has an ISO file :blush:

Just a thought for the future. I keep a copy of any installed programs including Operating Systems on a separate hard drive so should the original CD/USB get lost or damaged I always have a copy. 

????

• Like 2

I recently needed to do this on a Windows system with some discs.
Copied the DVD/CD to .iso using DVD Decrypter or ImgBurn, then used WinCDEmu to create a virtual drive and mount the .iso and install the software.
Rather than buy a DVD drive, you could see if an internet cafe machine has one and create the .iso there on your USB stick.

On 8/24/2021 at 9:31 AM, Bruno123 said:

Why not simply mention the program involved? Someone else might have it.

Not a bad idea...you guys are full of usieful suggestions!

DELORME TOPO for North America (any version above 6.0). Also called DELORME TOPO USA

On 8/23/2021 at 12:24 PM, robblok said:

That is all good and nice but if you cant read the original cd rom then you cant put it onto an usb drive.

My idea was actually to just buy the cdrom and then have a computer shop convert it to ISO so I could just load it by thumb drive without the need for a cdrom player which I’ll probably never use again. 

32 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

My idea was actually to just buy the cdrom and then have a computer shop convert it to ISO so I could just load it by thumb drive without the need for a cdrom player which I’ll probably never use again. 

If they do that for you then good idea.

1 hour ago, WaveHunter said:

Having the files on the CD converted to an ISO image is an unnecessary step for what you're trying to accomplish. When you get the ISO back from the shop you'll just need to extract the files from the ISO to do the installation. As I mentioned in a previous post all you need to do is have the files copied straight from the CD to a folder on a USB drive connect it to your laptop, move the folder over and run the installation exe file.

Maybe you plan to mount the ISO for one of your VMs but that shouldn't be necessary either.

Edited by KeeTua

5 minutes ago, KeeTua said:

Having the files on the CD converted to an ISO image is an unnecessary step for what you're trying to accomplish. When you get the ISO back from the shop you'll just need to extract the files from the ISO to do the installation. As I mentioned in a previous post all you need to do is have the files copied straight from the CD to a folder on a USB drive connect it to your laptop, move the folder over and run the installation exe file.

Maybe you plan to mount the ISO for one of your VMs but that shouldn't be necessary either.

Perhaps but I tried to do that once before with another Application on CD-Rom and was not able to copy the files from the CD-Rom to my computer.  I'm not sure why it would not work but certain folders would not copy over.  Maybe I am mistaken but I think that is the whoel reason for making ISO files.

9 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

Perhaps but I tried to do that once before with another Application on CD-Rom and was not able to copy the files from the CD-Rom

Yes I think there where/are some copy protection  on certain discs  that can be defeated by making an ISO   or Linux DD ( data destroyer) copy.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, johng said:

Yes I think there where/are some copy protection  on certain discs  that can be defeated by making an ISO   or Linux DD ( data destroyer) copy.

Well the best advice I got here was simply to buy a cheap external CD-ROM drive for the one-time installation.  I'm not sure why the simplest solutions sometimes just allude me LOL!

1 hour ago, robblok said:

If they do that for you then good idea.

Even simpler is what another forum member suggested...just buy a cheap external CD-Rom drive for the one-time installation I need to do.  I see them on AliExpress for very cheap.