Four Remaining Thais in Afghanistan Are Evacuated to Qatar and Kuwait

webfact

73a626492b7faedb071a9e89edc15b63_small.jpg

By Woraprat Lerpaisal

BANGKOK (NNT) - Thailand’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs has revealed that the four remaining Thais in Kabul, Afghanistan, have been evacuated to Qatar and Kuwait.

Ministry spokesman Tanee Sangrat said on 21 August hat the embassy in Islamabad, Pakistan, coordinated, with the embassy in Qatar’s Doha and Kuwait, to contact and evacuate the four Thais. The last of the group arrived in Doha on 20 August.

He said, as far as they knew, there are no Thais left in Afghanistan. However, any Thais who need help in Afghanistan can contact the Royal Thai Embassy in Islamabad via (+92)-315-900-9949 or Consular Affairs Department via (+66)-02-572-8442.

Meanwhile, Immigration Bureau deputy chief Pol Maj Gen Archayon Kraithong said it will be difficult for Afghan people to evacuate to Thailand because Afghanistan does not have any commercial flights to the country. The Afghans must depart from Egypt and must also be checked before entry.

nnt.jpg
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, mfd101 said:

Wonder what the 4 Thais were doing in Afghanistan.

Any number of possibilities, I guess.

There was a Thai woman, tourist, going around Afghanistan, so she was trapped in Herat when the city was surrounded. It is very far from Kabul, but only 120 km from the border with Iran at Islam Qala, which was controlled by the Taliban. After Herat fell, some people fled to the border, so maybe she got out then.

2 hours ago, placnx said:

There was a Thai woman, tourist, going around Afghanistan, so she was trapped in Herat when the city was surrounded. It is very far from Kabul, but only 120 km from the border with Iran at Islam Qala, which was controlled by the Taliban. After Herat fell, some people fled to the border, so maybe she got out then.

Pretty exciting place to be a tourist! even at the best of times.

I've been through Xinjiang province in China, and Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan and Russia, and the most dangerous place was the Moscow railway station ...

• Like 1

I am glad that these Thai people were able to get out of that country.

I read of Canadians being stuck in Kabul, and it makes me wonder why

they did not get out earlier, as they had to have known the risks of the Taliban

heading from Kandahar, maybe they are dual citizens.  Sad situation in Afghanistan,

does this mean the civil war is almost over?  I hope so, as 20 years of war is

much too long.

Geezer

Edited by Stargrazer9889
error
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

Afghanistan,

does this mean the civil war is almost over?  I hope so, as 20 years of war is much too long.

For the Afghans, it's been longer than that.

Russians invaded in 1979 followed by civil war ever since.  Probably not over.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Iron Tongue said:

For the Afghans, it's been longer than that.

Russians invaded in 1979 followed by civil war ever since.  Probably not over.

Troubles started with a 3-year drought from 1970. Aid bags from America were diverted for sale in provincial markets. Then came the first coup in 1973, then another in 1978 and the Russian invasion in 1979. After the Russians left in 1989, the government which they installed lasted until 1992, when the Tajiks grabbed Kabul and the civil war began. After 3 years of that Kabul looked like a German city after WW2, quite bombed out. So the poor Afghans have really been through 50 years of torment.

The Tajiks have now retreated to their stronghold in the Panjshir Valley, and the Taliban are coming. Will it be the end of their warlords?

On 8/23/2021 at 8:29 AM, mfd101 said:

Procuring supplies of Afghan black for the Mary Jane projects in Buriram and poppies for the sinister minister.

Surprised to think anyone would visit Afghanistan for any reason except military this past 20 years. It seems like the Taliban are keen to rape women now so I hope all the foreign women realize this.

12 minutes ago, Purdey said:

Surprised to think anyone would visit Afghanistan for any reason except military this past 20 years. It seems like the Taliban are keen to rape women now so I hope all the foreign women realize this.

Rape them and then stone them for adultery.

• Sad 1

On 8/23/2021 at 8:29 AM, mfd101 said:

Also, another incomplete, meaningless news item. How did the Thais get out of Afghanistan? Did they walk across the border to Pakistan, or did Thailand's government send a Royal Air Force plane to evacuate these 4 people? Or, perhaps, were they evacuated by an American or other Western country's airplane; and if so, why isn't it mentioned?

Edited by StayinThailand2much

Well here is my update about Afghanistan. The USA has officially left the country and the Taliban are now in power.

I am a bit surprised to see BBC, news crews and likely a few more still in the country.  The left over US military 

uniforms, do help some of the Taliban look more military like, nice improvement.  Now all the Taliban have to do

is stay in power and not let ISIL and al Qaeda , get too powerful there. I guess they may also have a few war lords 

who need to be addressed.  I do hope that the country can calm down and the people can now get on with their lives, after all 

if this was a civil war, then all parties should be able to negotiate a better future.  My opinion anyway.

Geezer

3 minutes ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

Well here is my update about Afghanistan.

I hope you are correct but I feel more pessimistic...... power corrupts, absolute power corrupt absolutely. Someone forwarded a video to me yesterday, reported as being someone suspended by the neck under a helicopter flown by Taliban... maybe that was not accurate. Most certainly, life for educated women there just got worse.