Exiting a company - work permit to be cancelled?

Hi guys,

I hope everyone is well and safe given the covid situation

I plan on leaving Thailand soon for good and I wanted to ask if I need to cancel my work permit which has been renewed this May. I heard some stories about complications when work permit isn't cancelled but I can't recall what those stories were. I just want to sleep well - let's put it this way. I have been employed in my own company which I have founded with a friend and business partner 2,5 years ago. I don't plan on returning to work in the same company but I plan on remaining a shareholder for now.

Is there anything else that I should be mindful?

Thanks,

Matt

Not cancelling the work permit can cause problems later and a fine for not doing it.

Some people have had problems for not canceling there extension of stay based upon working before leaving when they tried to apply for a new extension. Immigration wanted a termination letter from the previous employer before they would issue it.

• Like 2

Since the emergency decree the obligation is on the employer to notify the Labour department of your termination within 15 days or risk a 20K fine.

There seems to be no obligation on the employee to cancel a work permit because I tried to cancel mine in April and I was turned away from the Labour office, they were not interested.. (Non-BOI)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Satcommlee said:

Since the emergency decree the obligation is on the employer to notify the Labour department of your termination within 15 days or risk a 20K fine.

There seems to be no obligation on the employee to cancel a work permit because I tried to cancel mine in April and I was turned away from the Labour office, they were not interested.. (Non-BOI)

Oh wow. And my lawyer is telling me 10,000 THB and need for proof of 8 Thai employees employed in last 3 months...

Do you have any template for the letter or a website you used? I tried calling Labor Dept but their official only number is busy. Search function on the website isn't working well either and can't find any info

7 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

How hard is it to write a termination letter for yourself?

Easiest thing. i know someone did it. No immigration office checks it. You can even change the date on it as your wish for your visa ???? 

I suggest a thai person do the signing. Also you need to find a government logo paper which is not that difficult. 

20 hours ago, problemfarang said:

Easiest thing. i know someone did it. No immigration office checks it. You can even change the date on it as your wish for your visa ???? 

I suggest a thai person do the signing. Also you need to find a government logo paper which is not that difficult. 

The employer needs to write the letter (he is his own employer), he doesn't need a government logo, he needs his company logo.

22 hours ago, Matt199 said:

Oh wow. And my lawyer is telling me 10,000 THB and need for proof of 8 Thai employees employed in last 3 months...

Do you have any template for the letter or a website you used? I tried calling Labor Dept but their official only number is busy. Search function on the website isn't working well either and can't find any info

I found all the online info to be out of date.

And it may vary of course from office to office, my office was Pathum Thani.

My lawyer also called me asking about cancelling the work permit, I told him I don't need his help.

This is just one mans experience of course and my visa is not linked to the work permit (I use non-o family + money in bank method). There are of course immigration implications for those on Non-B.

But I pleaded with the labour office to cancel my work permit, even getting a little argumentative and they insisted it was not my problem. Gave me some papers to give to the employer, I said I am not on speaking terms with the employer and they basically said it's not my problem.

It turns out that the employer was advised to report my finishing work with the immigration department too, which was unnecessary.

As far as continuity is concerned I have since received a new BOI work Permit with exactly the same Work Permit number, no questions asked.