Is it a rip off?

Badrabbit

11 minutes ago, Satcommlee said:

This is when you see Thai private hospitals at their worst,  when you cannot walk away and go to another one!

In most cases you can still go to another via ambulance if needed.   Been there - done that.  

17 hours ago, rwill said:

There are certain drugs that only hospitals are allowed to give out.  If by major pharmacy you mean Watsons or Boots you are still better off going to a local pharmacy for better prices.  As someone else mentioned a government hospital is way cheaper than a private hospital but they may not have all the same drugs a private hospital has either.  Even if you know what drugs you wanted a government hospital would still have you see a doctor first.  But even that can be very cheap.  My local government hospital charges me 50 baht for a doctors visit.

No, not Watson's or Boots.  I almost never go to those.

In Roi Et City there is what I would call a big, major local pharmacy downtown that normally has the stuff none of the smaller ones do. 

Like I said, I will check there and the government hospital.

Siam Pharmacy or Fascino are the places to go for the best prices. I've been using Siam for years, their prices are hard to beat ime.

I tell ALL doctors i see in the private hospitals that i won't be buying any prescribed meds from the hospital and will they just write down the meds for me and i'll source myself.  

1 hour ago, big dendrobenaes said:

some government hospitals SO NOT HAVE scanning equipment......hence have to to private one !!!

But the government hospitals will set up an appointment at the private hospital for your scan and it will be considerably cheaper than having gone direct to the private hospital.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Only in terms of the electricity it uses.

Time matters very much on scan costs and there is a doctor and one or two others working on you during this time that have to be paid.  Of course a long scan is going to cost more than the electric charge.  If you stay a week in hotel it is going to cost more than a day.

On 8/23/2021 at 6:08 PM, johnnybangkok said:

I never get drugs from the hospital - complete rip off. Just get a prescription and take it to the nearest pharmacy for a fraction of the cost

Correct.paracetamol tablets 1 baht each, shop 100/35baht

42 minutes ago, Percy P said:

Correct.paracetamol tablets 1 baht each, shop 100/35baht

Would prefer to pay a bit over one baht each for capsules in shop myself - 500mg tablets are easy to choke on (for me at least).  Don't believe many people pay hospital for more than a handful as part of emergency treatment and cheap medications can be a lot more expensive in hospitals - 10x as much in some cases.

21 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Time matters very much on scan costs and there is a doctor and one or two others working on you during this time that have to be paid.  Of course a long scan is going to cost more than the electric charge.  If you stay a week in hotel it is going to cost more than a day.

But the doctors, nurses and technicians pay is a fixed cost, the hospital has to pay them whether they are treating a patient or posting pics on Facebook.

Hotel charges are not relevant to the time spent in an MRI, hospital room maybe, but a hotel does not charge you for how long you use the swimming pool does it?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

But the doctors, nurses and technicians pay is a fixed cost, the hospital has to pay them whether they are treating a patient or posting pics on Facebook.

Hotel charges are not relevant to the time spent in an MRI, hospital room maybe, but a hotel does not charge you for how long you use the swimming pool does it?

The doctors  are paid by the charge on your bill (which varies greatly).  It is the same as working in a clinic elsewhere without the added costs of rent.  

5 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

So where does that say foreigners shall be charged more than Thais??

It merely gives a definition of what "Foreigner(s)" are.

Google it they put it in 3 tier system foreigners pay more brought it in in 2919 and foreign retirees pay the most. This was translated my asian news so translation may not be word for word perfect but it's out there in google

14 minutes ago, malthebluff said:

Google it they put it in 3 tier system foreigners pay more brought it in in 2919 and foreign retirees pay the most. This was translated my asian news so translation may not be word for word perfect but it's out there in google

It will not let my share news from other sources on here not sure why. But if you Google it you will see it become law in 2019

10 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

I've never seen such a sign.

Which hospital did you see that in?

One or two very popular tertiary level government hospitals have this (e.g. Siriraj)  - but it is nowhere near 80%. More like 25%.

• Like 1

The "law" people are referring to is an updating of hospital price guide issued by the MoPH. This guidance (not a "law") does indeed give a different price level for foreigners. However, it  is widely ignored and the highest rates in it are less than most hospitals charge eve to Thais (if paying out of pocket). So pretty much a non issue and nothing chganged in most hospitas after it came out.

Most government hospitals do not charge foreigners more simply because it would be more trouble than it would be worth to them to set up a seperate price structure. Notable  exceptions are government hospitals in locations where they see many foreigners (Bangkok, Pattaya, Chiang Mai etc). These often do have a different, higher tariff for foreigners though usually still much lower than private hospitals.

it is what it is...accept it or hire an attorney, or leave Thailand...I'm sure it's cheaper here than your country otherwise you would have stayed in your own country.  Sure, health is wealth, consider it you made an investment in your health.  So now you have a CT for your medical records.  It aint that bad. At least you know your problem is not stage 4 or 5 terminal death cancer of some kind....ONLY cream!

9 hours ago, Sheryl said:

One or two very popular tertiary level government hospitals have this (e.g. Siriraj)  - but it is nowhere near 80%. More like 25%.

May very well be correct, with the exception of PR and / or Th ID card.... Personally I benefit of exactly the same price / service as Th Nationals do. I think most of the ' Foreigners ' do have a medical insurance and someone has to ' sponsor ' a bit local health services. ( joking ( or maybe not ) )  

9 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Very good, and confirms what I wrote previously, this doesn't apply to PR, as is stated in the text you sent, concerned are ' non immigrants '. PR being Immigrants.