Phuket COVID cases hit new high, 189 on one day

webfact

1629909801_1-org.jpg

Image:PPHO

PHUKET: The latest Phuket Provincial Public Health Office (PPHO) daily COVID situation report has marked a record 189 new local infections across the island yesterday (Aug 25), bringing the total number of people recognised as infected with COVID-19 in Phuket since Apr 3 to 3,070.

The PPHO report, marked as accurate as of 10:20pm last night, also marked three new cases of Phuket Sandbox tourists being confirmed as infected.

The report marked no new deaths attributed to COVID-19, leaving  the total number of deaths in Phuket attributed to COVID-19 since Apr 3 at 18.

Discover Cigna’s range of health insurance solutions created for expats and local nationals living in Thailand - click to view

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-covid-cases-hit-new-high-189-on-one-day-81182.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2021-08-26

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Scrotobike said:

I think the litterbox was a big scandal diverting jabs away from the sick and elderly (who have/are dying) to vaccinate some 18yo in a hotel owned by a HiSo. As usual in TIT.

What really makes me just a tad miffed about this Sandbox, is all the lies, deceit and the betrayal of the Thai people.

if so many have been Vaxxed, why so many Infections ?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Probably best for all to sloooooow testing down.

Sarcasm ... Not helpful IMHO.

To me its obvious, more testing is needed so to give the local government better information as to the pandemic spread, to help them in optimizing their decisions.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Deli said:

It would be very interesting to see the daily nbr devided in Phuket's areas. How many on fishing boats, factories, markets ? They just don"t tell...to hide where they failt to act preventive.

I saw a stat yesterday. These new infections are mainly in Town and Rassada, not in the tourist areas. And in town mainly market areas, fishing boats shipyards, etc. Areas with (recently) imported labour.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, stevenl said:

I saw a stat yesterday. These new infections are mainly in Town and Rassada, not in the tourist areas. And in town mainly market areas, fishing boats shipyards, etc. Areas with (recently) imported labour.

Shipyards are in lock down already, but again... too late due to no testing.

Lesson not learned.

We're all just inconsequential pawns, small meaningless and sacrifice-able objects to those that have garnered power. Always has been always will be. Sadly this afternoon I am acutely aware that I see and believe we are a species that will destroy itself and the very world we are dependent upon through hubris, greed, selfishness, ignorance and arrogance. Yep your right! A very Dystopian view indeed.

Edited by Tropposurfer

6 hours ago, webfact said:

The latest Phuket Provincial Public Health Office (PPHO) daily COVID situation report has marked a record 189 new local infections across the island yesterday (Aug 25), bringing the total number of people recognised as infected with COVID-19 in Phuket since Apr 3 to 3,070.

I'm sure the "bubble and seal" is working just fine.. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Deli said:

Shipyards are in lock down already, but again... too late due to no testing.

Lesson not learned.

Yes, I know. Not just shipyards, that whole waterway has been sealed off.

6 hours ago, Scrotobike said:

I am no doctor or Covid expert but I understand that vaccinations do not stop the spread, just aids in one's body fighting it. 

I'm not an expert either, but the articles that I've read suggested that those who are vaccinated with "effective" vaccines that protect the patient from getting a serious (dangerous) case of COVID also do NOT spread COVID nearly as much as those who are not vaccinated.  I've read estimates that non-vaccinated people spread COVID 3x to 5x as much as those who are (well) vaccinated.  So therefore vaccinations would slow down significantly the spread.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, carlf said:

I'm not an expert either, but the articles that I've read suggested that those who are vaccinated with "effective" vaccines that protect the patient from getting a serious (dangerous) case of COVID also do NOT spread COVID nearly as much as those who are not vaccinated.  I've read estimates that non-vaccinated people spread COVID 3x to 5x as much as those who are (well) vaccinated.  So therefore vaccinations would slow down significantly the spread.

While this was true with the initial variants, the mRNA vaccines don't provide the same reduction in the level of virus loading for the Delta variant. The vaccines continue to offer protection against serious illness, however vaccinated individuals who are/become infected are showing the same level of Delta infection as those who are unvaccinated.

The newest study (about 1 week ago) by Oxford University concludes the following:

With Delta, infections occurring following two vaccinations had similar
peak viral burden to those in unvaccinated individuals. SARS-CoV-2 vaccination still reduces new infections, but effectiveness and attenuation of peak viral burden are reduced with Delta.

The good news is that even with the Delta variant, the mRNA vaccines continue to offer significant protection against serious illness and hospitalization, as well as a limited degree of protection against infection. The bad news is that vaccinated infected individuals have a higher probability of transmitting the Delta variant as compared to the previous strains. We're not out of the woods yet.

https://www.ndm.ox.ac.uk/files/coronavirus/covid-19-infection-survey/finalfinalcombinedve20210816.pdf

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/covid-vaccine-delta-variant-infections-carry-same-virus-load-unvaccinated/

• Like 2

6 hours ago, DrDave said:

While this was true with the initial variants, the mRNA vaccines don't provide the same reduction in the level of virus loading for the Delta variant. The vaccines continue to offer protection against serious illness, however vaccinated individuals who are/become infected are showing the same level of Delta infection as those who are unvaccinated.

The newest study (about 1 week ago) by Oxford University concludes the following:

With Delta, infections occurring following two vaccinations had similar
peak viral burden to those in unvaccinated individuals. SARS-CoV-2 vaccination still reduces new infections, but effectiveness and attenuation of peak viral burden are reduced with Delta.

The good news is that even with the Delta variant, the mRNA vaccines continue to offer significant protection against serious illness and hospitalization, as well as a limited degree of protection against infection. The bad news is that vaccinated infected individuals have a higher probability of transmitting the Delta variant as compared to the previous strains. We're not out of the woods yet.

https://www.ndm.ox.ac.uk/files/coronavirus/covid-19-infection-survey/finalfinalcombinedve20210816.pdf

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/covid-vaccine-delta-variant-infections-carry-same-virus-load-unvaccinated/

Thanks for this info.  Interesting.... troubling.  It's in contradiction with a recent article that I read in Le Monde (https://www.lemonde.fr/les-decodeurs/article/2021/07/29/peut-on-transmettre-le-covid-19-en-etant-vaccine_6089910_4355770.html  ... sorry, in French).  

18 hours ago, carlf said:

Thanks for this info.  Interesting.... troubling.  It's in contradiction with a recent article that I read in Le Monde (https://www.lemonde.fr/les-decodeurs/article/2021/07/29/peut-on-transmettre-le-covid-19-en-etant-vaccine_6089910_4355770.html  ... sorry, in French).  

I read that article in LeMonde (with help from Google Chrome translate) and I confess, I fail to see the contradiction.