ANZ bank a nightmare to contact

Accidentally locked myself out if my online account, I had caps lock on, and the only way to get my account opened again is to contact the ANZ by phone. Have tried several times but give up after being put on hold for 30 minutes. This has been an ongoing problem for the 11 years I've lived in Thailand, but I think it has got progressively worse. It seems that they just don't care about customers at all.

6 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

Normally the best time to call is first thing when most staff are there: 8am Sydney time. So if you can get up at 5am might be a good time to call. 

I'm not sure when you call internationally it goes to Sydney. I think it goes to a call centre, could be in Mumbai, because quite often get Indian accents. Also, it's supposedly a 24 hour help line.

Edited by giddyup

7 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I'm not sure when you call internationally it goes to Sydney. I think it goes to a call centre, could be in Mumbai, because quite often get Indian accents. Also, it's supposedly a 24 hour help line.

Good point. I guess they'll have maximum staff from 8:00 am or 9:00 am but more demand too. I have just found it's much easier to get through at that time.  

• Like 1

Try ringing CommBank!!! It really is almost impossible to talk to a ‘customer service agent’ with them.

I am fortunate to have direct line to my Westpac account in Oz, and number of my ‘liaison officer’ from my previous business - but no doubt they will forget me after a few years.

I received an email from the ATO telling me I had a message on my MyGov page.  They sent me a text OTP to my (now defunct) Oz mobile. To change the settings - I needed to talk to an ATP person. 

Tried many times - no dice - so thought that if it is important - they will no doubt chase me! (Or grab me at the airport if I ever return !!)

As Fat said, early in the morning is most likely to be the best time to get through. I have tried a few times at the end of the working day in Oz, only to be abruptly disconnected at their closing time - even after waiting on hold for up to an hour..

Good luck!

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, G Rex said:

Try ringing CommBank!!! It really is almost impossible to talk to a ‘customer service agent’ with them.

I am fortunate to have direct line to my Westpac account in Oz, and number of my ‘liaison officer’ from my previous business - but no doubt they will forget me after a few years.

I received an email from the ATO telling me I had a message on my MyGov page.  They sent me a text OTP to my (now defunct) Oz mobile. To change the settings - I needed to talk to an ATP person. 

Tried many times - no dice - so thought that if it is important - they will no doubt chase me! (Or grab me at the airport if I ever return !!)

As Fat said, early in the morning is most likely to be the best time to get through. I have tried a few times at the end of the working day in Oz, only to be abruptly disconnected at their closing time - even after waiting on hold for up to an hour..

Good luck!

You have to remember that this is a 24 hour international contact number so the calls could be coming from anywhere in the world, so not sure if early morning in Australia is relevant, but I could be wrong.

Have you tried calling your branch? i would wait and wait until someone will answer if this is an important issue such as this, using Skype to call Oz cost pennies or try this:

Call us anytime, anywhere

Call us from within Australia for the cost of a local call (mobile phone rates apply). If you’re overseas, dial +61 3 8699 6969....

2 minutes ago, giddyup said:

You have to remember that this is a 24 hour international contact number so the calls could be coming from anywhere in the world, so not sure if early morning in Australia is relevant, but I could be wrong.

I think the ATO call centre was from 8am to 8pm AEST, and Commbank 7 to 11.

I have a cc with  BOQ - they have a 24 hour call centre - and they are brilliant - never more than 5 minute wait with them

16 minutes ago, ezzra said:

Have you tried calling your branch? i would wait and wait until someone will answer if this is an important issue such as this, using Skype to call Oz cost pennies or try this:

Call us anytime, anywhere

Call us from within Australia for the cost of a local call (mobile phone rates apply). If you’re overseas, dial +61 3 8699 6969....

What is the phone number you supplied? I'm not sure the branch can get me connected to my online banking again.

Edited by giddyup