Chip stones, spot rusting

17 hours ago, thaitom said:

Looks to me like he gave you an option , which in my opinion is a very cost effective solution over trying to do it yourself.

He didn't ask for an option, did he?

20 hours ago, villageidiotY2K said:

Hihi, my 13 yr old banger have some small spot rusts on the bonnet and side panels, possibly from chip stones. 

So I went to da store to get these goodies, hoping to kill da rust, cleaned, then spray with clear cote. 

Will this work or gotta use primer instead of clear coat paint?? 

You're trolling, yes?

One of those is a lubricating oil, à la WD-40, that will not kill the rust and you cannot paint over an oiled surface.   The rust needs to be sanded away, if you're then down to bare metal you'll need a coat of primer then you need a coat of colour before the clear coat.   Apart from that you were spot on with your selection.

• Haha 1

To do this yourself and get a decent finish you need some knowledge of how to sand the rust spots. No doubt there are plenty of 'How to' videos on Youtube. You start with a medium grade paper and gradually work down to an almost smooth wet n dry.  (used wet). Once primed & dry the primer needs to be sanded. If you can see any sanding scratches in the primer, it will need more sanding and more primer. Good preparation is the key to a good finish.

As Kwasaki said, it is not expensive to get panels resprayed in Thailand and it will be far better job.

Edited by Lancashirelad
typo
  • Like 1

Well I don't care about the cosmetic of da car and just don't want the rust spreading further. 

Sanding is too much work for old geezer like me. Also I don't wanna do it in my city condo. 

As canthai mentioned, can't I just spray the crc rust converter to kill da rust, (darkened rusted area means oxidation is killed and primed?) and spray the clear coat over it. Won't this work? 

On 8/28/2021 at 4:52 PM, Kwasaki said:

I have just got got 3 panels repaired prepared a sprayed for a 1000 baht a panel + 1,500 baht for labour and consumerables.

if the 1,500 baht covered labour and consumables, what did the 3,000thb cover

3 hours ago, villageidiotY2K said:

Well I don't care about the cosmetic of da car and just don't want the rust spreading further. 

Sanding is too much work for old geezer like me. Also I don't wanna do it in my city condo. 

As canthai mentioned, can't I just spray the crc rust converter to kill da rust, (darkened rusted area means oxidation is killed and primed?) and spray the clear coat over it. Won't this work? 

Never used it in a spray can. Just the brush on stuff.

Once it turns black and is dry and hard you paint away.

Easy wipe with Scotchbrite pad will remove any loose, flaky stuff.