Q. re Thai girlfriend receiving a UK pension after partner dies..

1 hour ago, rott said:

I always understood that to be the case, my UK state pension started in 2013. Does the year of the marriage have any bearing on things.? 

Not anymore, there was a marriage couple arrangement if you got registered in at certain date but from memory we miss from doing that by many years. 

• Thanks 1
22 hours ago, giddyup said:

A good friend from the UK died in Bangkok recently of Covid, his live-in girlfriend of 14 years is asking if she might be entitled to any kind of UK pension. They weren't legally married, she would be his common-law wife. I'm an Aussie so I have no idea on the UK rules on pensions. He didn't leave her much in the way of cash and she's not being greedy, just wants to know if she has any kind of entitlement.

As far  as I know only if it was a private pension, the government has stopped payments to spouses overseas.

• Thanks 1
57 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

As far  as I know only if it was a private pension, the government has stopped payments to spouses overseas.

I have done paperwork for Thais regarding their ex private pensions. Two get a % for ten years, can't remember the other.

A friend died in 2010, he was married and was getting a wife allowance, but because she was under 45 there was no pension, just a one off payment, it wasn't a lot, possibly 5000 quid, not sure. Her private pension % payout stopped after 10 years in 2020...

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, transam said:

I have done paperwork for Thais regarding their ex private pensions. Two get a % for ten years, can't remember the other.

A friend died in 2010, he was married and was getting a wife allowance, but because she was under 45 there was no pension, just a one off payment, it wasn't a lot, possibly 5000 quid, not sure. Her private pension % payout stopped after 10 years in 2020...

I will get a Final Salary pension when I'm 65 (in 4 years) but as my wife is half my age, she will only get 50% of the widow's pension.  Still, if she lives a long life it will do her quite nicely!

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

"...he must of not care a dam of what would happen to her...".

Maybe it's just that he didn't have much?

He put both her kids through Uni and stuck with her for 14 years, so yeah, I'd say he cared more than a damn for her. He left her everything he had, which at the end was the 800K for retirement purposes.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, rott said:

I always understood that to be the case, my UK state pension started in 2013. Does the year of the marriage have any bearing on things.? 

According to the link given before, if you started your pension beofre 2016, then yes your widow is entitled to "something": https://www.gov.uk/new-state-pension/inheriting-or-increasing-state-pension-from-a-spouse-or-civil-partner

I knew a useless British guy who married a Thai bring over his dying father here and had him marry her mother so that when his father died, he would collect his fathers pension.  I think his dad died about 6 months after the marriage took place.  I don’t think I ever saw the dad with his new bride except on the wedding day.  

• Confused 2
10 hours ago, koele2 said:

I knew a useless British guy who married a Thai bring over his dying father here and had him marry her mother so that when his father died, he would collect his fathers pension.  I think his dad died about 6 months after the marriage took place.  I don’t think I ever saw the dad with his new bride except on the wedding day.  

What wrong with this? 

I would rather give anyone my money then let the government keep it. 

from Geordieabroad:

"Thai girlfriend or Thai wife it doesn't make any difference concerning UK state pension.

Girlfriend/wife is entitled to nothing after the Brit passes away

Unlike the German state pension where the Thai wife will receive 60% of the total pension for the rest of her life."

Yes, Geordie. I'm a 'Victory Baby'. born in May, 1946.  How 'sick' the world can be.  How stupid and misguided British governments have been ever since. I laugh and I cry.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

Likewise, my wife has already got a letter confirming she entitled to 50% of my current Civil Service Pension on my demise, and my young neice has been nominated to act on her behalf to navigate the claim system when the time comes, thankfully Sara thinks the world of my wife.

What we don't know yet if she would be will be entitled the Personal Tax Allowance if she lives in Thailand, the tax difference is about 9,400 Baht a month.  

Your spouse will be entitled to a personal tax allowance under the UK - Thai tax agreement. 

The issue will be either an NI or non resident tax identification number. 

21 hours ago, inThailand said:

I think you would be surprised how few are planning financially for their Thai partner upon their demise. 

That is very sad.... are these the same guys who routinely bash Thai ladies on this forum? And then it turns out that they were horrible husbands?

6 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

That is very sad.... are these the same guys who routinely bash Thai ladies on this forum? And then it turns out that they were horrible husbands?

Any actual facts to support this, or is it the usual conjecture?

Although I'm half British & have dual citizenship, I think the Australian Govt. looks after its' citizens better than the UK does but that being said, the UK govt has been broke for years - there is little else they can cut/do to save money, so I pity them. I often see on here that the UK Embassy doesn't look after their citizens in LOS, but my only dealings with them at the old (now demolished) UK Embassy back in 2000 were good. They gave my Thai wife a one year visitor visa when I only wanted 2 weeks, to visit my now late mother. Here in Oz, my Thai wife will inherit 67% of my army pension when I cark it, for the duration of her life. Our daughter would also be eligible to receive extra payments until she turns 18 - (she is 11 now) but chances are I'll be around a while yet, so it is unlikely our daughter will get anything extra. In the unlikely event that my wife wished to return to LOS to live, her 67% of my army pension is entirely transportable for life. That's not going to happen though - she loves it here and has already told all and sundry back home that she will never return to Thailand, other than for a holiday. As a legal migrant, she's become what used to be called "a New Australian" - only in her case, she's become "a New Farang" !

Agree she will not have any entitlement from the UK pension.

I have 2 private pensions and sent in a beneficiary statement to each provider, who accetepd my wife without issue, We werent married when I first wrote, when we married I notified them but was told it makes no difference and almost any nominee could be accepted.

They even agreed that her payment would be 50% for the rest of her life, which all being well will be a lot longer than mine. Some pro-rate if they are much younger and reduce the payment or shorten the entitlement, but I was lucky.

If I die in an accident she is also nominated for £35k death benefit, through my expat medical insurance, but I tend to not talk about that one too much.

My brother has a compete set of all my papers etc.

• Like 1
On 8/29/2021 at 3:20 AM, cleopatra2 said:

I checked the Link and what you say only applies to a partner that qualifies in her own right for a pension, she may get an additional sum as part of your pension added to her own, but any partner that does not qualify for her/his own pension will get nothing.

From Aussiepeter:

A happy story, sir, it sounds as if you and your family are, and will be, well looked after.

But I have said before that I cannot accept this statement: " I think the Australian Govt. looks after its' citizens better than the UK does but that being said, the UK govt has been broke for years - there is little else they can cut/do to save money."

There is a LOT they can do to CUT and SAVE. UK governments are constrained by outdated and misguided economic and financial  ways of thinking. (This is a 'polite' way of saying that they are unoriginal, uncreative and s##t scared of not being re-elected; for example, when was the education system last thoroughly reformed? When was the appalling crime rate in the UK tackled with intelligence and originality?

The Truth is that they 'bungle', they 'fudge', they obfuscate the real issues, they lie and they don't care about the people that WE all want to see being cared for well: the young, the sick, the vulnerable, the old.

If the UK is 'broke', then what is the USA? (To mention just one).

If anyone wants an antidote to unoriginal, corrupted, criminal and 'naive' government, please read a good book on FD Roosevelt.: a master politician, who understood the rights and wrongs of 'the system' and how to best manipulate it, and who waged what he called 'a war on poverty' (despite having 'no money' to do it!). He GOT the money, by hook or by crook. THAT is a primary function of government, 'Balancing the books' might be a nice idea for you and me BUT for modern government?

Governments MUST fulfill their obligations to the people. FDR DID this, from his wheelchair, stricken with polio. And the US people loved him for it and elected him FOUR times their President. He was so successful that Congress passed a law saying that no person can be elected more that TWICE!

This is the MADNESS of government. DEMOCRACY? TRUSTING THE ELECTORATE? Forget it!

Please never tell me that the UK government is broke - stupidity has depleted its resources and so has terrible waste.

The man credited as being Britain's first Prime Minister, Sir Robert Walpole, when showing important visitors around the House of Commons, always said to them as they surveyed the H/C in session: 'Remember that all of these men can be bought". Have things changed much?

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 8/30/2021 at 8:40 AM, theoldgit said:

Likewise, my wife has already got a letter confirming she entitled to 50% of my current Civil Service Pension on my demise, and my young neice has been nominated to act on her behalf to navigate the claim system when the time comes, thankfully Sara thinks the world of my wife.

What we don't know yet if she would be will be entitled the Personal Tax Allowance if she lives in Thailand, the tax difference is about 9,400 Baht a month.  

Further to my earlier post, I've received clarification from my Pension Provider, the Civil Service Pension Scheme.

It depends what scheme you're on, my wife is lucky.

Thank you for your email with regards to your Civil Service Widows Pension.

An age difference reduction to widows pensions is only applied to member's who are in the Premium/Nuvos/Alpha sections of the pension scheme. The rules of these sections of the scheme state a reduction must be applied if the spouse is over 12 years younger than the member. However as you are in the classic section of the scheme no such ruling applies and a spouse is entitled to the full widows pension regardless of age difference.

• 1 month later...

I can't understand why the UK pension services ask if your married and want to know all about her like her name and date of birth and the date you got married when you claim your pension.  Your Thai wife will receive nothing so why ask these questions? I did a claim in August over the phone my pension is due in late october, so far nothing. I called them a few weeks ago and the nice lady asked my details again including my wife"s.   My claim is still being processed but she will let them know it's overdue and I should get a text message from them so far nothing.  

Regards 

Scotsman   

On 8/29/2021 at 2:41 PM, mvdf said:

Dim chance of receiving anything from the government. Inheritance... if she's on the will, she probably stands a chance, although this could depend on other beneficiaries and whether or not they are "predisposed" to sharing.

If she is named as a beneficiary in a valid UK will she is legally entitled to receive what the deceased intended.  The executor to the will has a duty to distribute according to the will's instructions. Other beneficiaries pre-dispositions would only have an impact if they were able to persuade the executor to commit fraud and the amounts involved were not significant enough to warrant taking the executor to court in the UK.

Some countries have forced heirship rules which could get in the way of receiving a bequest in cross-border will situations, but Thaiand is not one of those countries.

• Like 1