Q. re Thai girlfriend receiving a UK pension after partner dies..

A good friend from the UK died in Bangkok recently of Covid, his live-in girlfriend of 14 years is asking if she might be entitled to any kind of UK pension. They weren't legally married, she would be his common-law wife. I'm an Aussie so I have no idea on the UK rules on pensions. He didn't leave her much in the way of cash and she's not being greedy, just wants to know if she has any kind of entitlement.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1
14 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

For UK state pension and other bereavement payments for a legally married Thai wife to a Englishman has been done away with.

A Thai partner would of got nothing even years ago, he must of not care a dam of what would happen to her, so sad.

That is not true. 

Anybody who gained pension entitlement prior to April 2016 is treated under the old rules. It is still possible to inherit a pension as a surviving spouse if specific conditions are met.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
12 hours ago, cleopatra2 said:

For any private pension will depend upon if named as beneficiary and scheme rules.

However, the pension trustees often have a large degree of discretion when it comes to deciding who gets the payout, even if the deceased has already named a beneficiary.  If not already named, she could write to the trustees, explaining her circumstances.

The first thing to do is to try to discover what company and personal pension schemes the individual was enrolled in.

As others have said, she'll get nothing from the State.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Have no idea what you are saying, I started to get my UK govt pension in 2012,  if and when I die my Thai wife will get nothing, fact.

If you don't fligging believe me then ring up the DWP.

Just because your spouse is not entitled does not equate to this applies to others

https://www.gov.uk/new-state-pension/inheriting-or-increasing-state-pension-from-a-spouse-or-civil-partner#:~:text=and working overseas-,Inheriting or increasing State Pension from a spouse or civil,you reach State Pension age.

Edited by cleopatra2
  • Like 2
50 minutes ago, Oxx said:

However, the pension trustees often have a large degree of discretion when it comes to deciding who gets the payout, even if the deceased has already named a beneficiary.  If not already named, she could write to the trustees, explaining her circumstances.

The first thing to do is to try to discover what company and personal pension schemes the individual was enrolled in.

As others have said, she'll get nothing from the State.

I am not sure trustees can break the scheme rules

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, cleopatra2 said:

I am not sure trustees can break the scheme rules

True.  However, in many cases the pension holder nominates who will receive any death benefits.  This is not binding upon the trustees.  So, for example, if someone nominates their wife, then divorces and lives for many years with a partner (not married), the Trustees may be permitted (within the scheme rules) to deem the partner the beneficiary, deeming her to be more deserving than the ex-wife.

3 minutes ago, inThailand said:

I think you would be surprised how few are planning financially for their Thai partner upon their demise. 

I think a lot of expats in Thailand can't really afford to live there, especially if they get hit with a big medical bill or such like. I left Thailand 3 years ago after 20 years of living there, long before a lack of money could become an issue.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, transam said:

UK pensioner married couples are now treated as individuals regarding state pensions, so a Thai wife who has not paid into the system gets nothing, if they are not 65 they can forget it too, even if they have a N.I. number...

How does a woman who has been a home keeper all her life get on then, what does she live on?

Edited by giddyup
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
42 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

100% No ! If he had a private pension and left it to her in a Thai will then she might get that if not it would go into his estate and divided between his nearest and dearest

Pensions do not form part of an estate.

She would need to have been nominated (or a very strong case put forward for dependency - then is down to the discretion of pension trustees).

Only a widow/nominated beneficiary can benefit from a 'widows pension'. 

• Like 2
24 minutes ago, jesimps said:

As far as I know she'll get nothing from his state pension.

My civil service pension can only be claimed by my wife, not children, parents, siblings, cousins or live-in girlfriend. The missus and I were quite happy just living together, but when I found out the pension rules we got wed. Didn't want to leave her with nowt and definitely didn't want my hard earned pension to go to the state.

I didn't wish to marry. I nominated my GF of 15 years and my pension trustees accepted her nomination.

Nothing from state pension.

14 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Have no idea what you are saying, I started to get my UK govt pension in 2012,  if and when I die my Thai wife will get nothing, fact.

If you don't fligging believe me then ring up the DWP.

I always understood that to be the case, my UK state pension started in 2013. Does the year of the marriage have any bearing on things.? 

19 minutes ago, giddyup said:

How does a woman who has been a home keeper all her life get on then, what does she live on?

If she was married she would have N.I. number, treated as an individual to claim a pension if 65+, if in the UK. I did some talking to pensions about a Thai lady whose husband popped, her husband did get an allowance for her, but, as she was 62, nothing, the same as UK women, who have to go to social security or get a job. Thai lady here must do the same thing, but unfortunately, they don't have social security.

UK Pension allowance for foreign wives stopped in 2010 for new pensioner applicants, those who were getting it before April 2010 lost it in April 2020.......... 

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, transam said:

Stopped in 2010....

have a look here - The new State Pension: Inheriting or increasing State Pension from a spouse or civil partner - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

50 minutes ago, giddyup said:

she would get credited with raising a child - National Insurance credits for adults who care for a child under 12: fact sheet - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

15 minutes ago, transam said:

If she was married she would have N.I. number, treated as an individual to claim a pension if 65+, if in the UK. I did some talking to pensions about a Thai lady whose husband popped, her husband did get an allowance for her, but, as she was 62, nothing, the same as UK women, who have to go to social security or get a job. Thai lady here must do the same thing, but unfortunately, they don't have social security.

UK Pension allowance for foreign wives stopped in 2010 for new pensioner applicants, those who were getting it before April 2010 lost it in April 2020.......... 

Just for clarification the additional payment was all for wives and not limited to foreign wives. 

Dim chance of receiving anything from the government. Inheritance... if she's on the will, she probably stands a chance, although this could depend on other beneficiaries and whether or not they are "predisposed" to sharing.

20 hours ago, cleopatra2 said:

That is not true. 

Anybody who gained pension entitlement prior to April 2016 is treated under the old rules. It is still possible to inherit a pension as a surviving spouse if specific conditions are met.

True but only if there were additional voluntary contributions to the pension such as SERPS.  My Thai wife is entitled to approx 65 gbp per month

• Like 1