Q. re Thai girlfriend receiving a UK pension after partner dies..

On 8/29/2021 at 8:26 PM, Aussiepeter said:

Many thanks to Sir Trans for this information. My best friend from the many years I lived in LOS, the late David Francis, married his Thai wife in 1999 at the Amphur in Mae Taeng, Chiang Mai. Some on here may remember him as the author of numerous articles about LOS in tourist magazines around that time. He actually survived in LOS on a UK Army pension of only 100 GBP a month, for eighteen years - some sort of record ! He had been a corporal at one time in HM Royal Marines, but the rest of his pension had been garnisheed for some reason. He supplemented his pension by teaching English to hill tribe kids under the Royal Project. I was still a serving Officer when I met him in 1994 and I helped him whenever I could, as he was such a decent bloke. He died aged 66 after a massive stroke in 2008, but had told my wife and I that his wife would inherit his army pension. His wife moved away shortly after his death and I have often wondered if she indeed got that pension, as she had never been to the UK and spoke no English whatsoever. I believe she did have help in applying for it in 2008, but I was 'away' working and never heard about the outcome. Although his wife spoke no English, David had taught himself central Thai and spoke it well, but with a broad cockney accent - even I had difficulty understanding him when he spoke Thai ! From the sounds of it, his Thai widow may have got the pension right up until 2020. I hope so - she was a widow earning 80 baht a day peeling garlic when he met her. A true Thai love story - they had 10 very happy years together.

83110456_3112809208733722_4157334308790468608_n.jpg