Toyota Fortuners

Maigo6

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a Hilux Vigo dual cab 4WD driver (a white one at that) I don't understand why Fortuner owners pay so much just for rear coil spring suspension (and possibly rear disc brakes, not sure). How can it possibly be worth several hundreds of thousands of baht for that ? The Hilux matches the Fortuner in every other respect and is actually more versatile.

Does that mean Furtuner buyers are just suckers for car salesmen ?

And with all those Fortuners on the roads when the time comes for a new model Toyota will have to make it even bigger. Can't have the old Fortuner drivers intimidating the new Fortuner drivers can we ?

BTW, the Hilux doesn't have a passenger air bag either which seems a big oversight by Toyota.

I also own a Jazz (the bright yellow one), but contrary to what others have said, I'd prefer the Jazz in town or up-country to the Hilux.

As a Hilux Vigo dual cab 4WD driver (a white one at that) I don't understand why Fortuner owners pay so much just for rear coil spring suspension (and possibly rear disc brakes, not sure). How can it possibly be worth several hundreds of thousands of baht for that ? The Hilux matches the Fortuner in every other respect and is actually more versatile.

And with all those Fortuners on the roads when the time comes for a new model Toyota will have to make it even bigger. Can't have the old Fortuner drivers intimidating the new Fortuner drivers can we ?

BTW, the Hilux doesn't have a passenger air bag either which seems a big oversight by Toyota.

I also own a Jazz (the bright yellow one), but contrary to what others have said, I'd prefer the Jazz in town or up-country to the Hilux.

I agree with all you said. I also keep a Vigo at my home in Phuket, and though I like the Fortuner, think it is relatively overpriced compared to the Hilux. Also, at my Bangkok home I also have the new VS VTEC Jazz in black. That Jazz is a dream to drive in cities. I also took it on a road trip to Korat last weekend, was perfect. Mind you, I have also experienced driving through 3 foot floodwater near Chumphon on a road trip in my prior high SUV, so I wouldn't take the jazz during flood conditions down country (as someone pointed out in this forum).

Do they all drive with their full beam on or are they just stronger lights than everyone else?

I have to move my rear-view mirror when one of these things is behind me.

I drive with the lights on full beam, fog lights on turn on the interior map lights centre roof light and rear interior light and even turn on the hazard warning lights to really make an impact when I am behind Mazda's. :o

Edited by Maigo6

Do they all drive with their full beam on or are they just stronger lights than everyone else?

I have to move my rear-view mirror when one of these things is behind me.

I drive with the lights on full beam, fog lights on turn on the interior map lights centre roof light and rear interior light and even turn on the hazard warning lights to really make an impact when I am behind Mazda's. :o

There's a really cool police supply store on soi Suan Plu in Bangkok (across from immigration office). You should buy some of those Christmas Tree flashing lights or the kind you can hand-place on your roof. That would complete the "Fortuner effect." :D

I agree with all you said. I also keep a Vigo at my home in Phuket, and though I like the Fortuner, think it is relatively overpriced compared to the Hilux.

I think the Vigo is a great Pick Up too, and I was gonna get one, but my first test drive was in a Fortuner instead of a Vigo....I knew I wanted one before I left the Toyota showroom for the main road. I am an impulse buyer, originally I was thinking of buying a Honda Civic!!!

I had a Toyota Tiger 4WD before, I always liked pick ups, very versatile, and the new ones are comfortable and powerful, the Tiger wasn't, but I drove a mates Pre Runner Vigo a while ago, it was fine.

I have an old pick up anyway, Nissan, about 16 years old, maybe more, that works good and does any humping around plus it keeps people in work.

oopss... wrong! i own a hilux sports rider 3000cc D4D limited edition that it's 1.3M baht.
Let me guess, you live in Bangkok?

you're partly right. i live in pattaya but also have a place in bangkok. but ur also wrong because i use my car in bangkok where in pattaya i roam around with my 4WD.

let me guess... you don't have permanent address?

Edited by thai_narak

I agree with all you said. I also keep a Vigo at my home in Phuket, and though I like the Fortuner, think it is relatively overpriced compared to the Hilux.

I think the Vigo is a great Pick Up too, and I was gonna get one, but my first test drive was in a Fortuner instead of a Vigo....I knew I wanted one before I left the Toyota showroom for the main road. I am an impulse buyer, originally I was thinking of buying a Honda Civic!!!

I had a Toyota Tiger 4WD before, I always liked pick ups, very versatile, and the new ones are comfortable and powerful, the Tiger wasn't, but I drove a mates Pre Runner Vigo a while ago, it was fine.

I have an old pick up anyway, Nissan, about 16 years old, maybe more, that works good and does any humping around plus it keeps people in work.

Yeah, well I really like both Vigos and Fortuners. On this and the auto forum, as you know, there is the nomenclature, BF and AF on Fortuners. There could rightly also be a "before Vigo," and "after Vigo," with regard to the difference between the Tiger and the Vigo. We also had a 1999 Tiger we replaced with the Vigo. Night and Day difference. And, when you drive a Vigo (in the curvy mountain roads of Phuket) compared to Isuzu or anything else, that Vigo drives like a sports car.

oopss... wrong! i own a hilux sports rider 3000cc D4D limited edition that it's 1.3M baht.

you're partly right. i live in pattaya but also have a place in bangkok. but ur also wrong because i use my car in bangkok where in pattaya i roam around with my 4WD.

I don't own my house, if that's what you mean. What's that got to do with anything?

I'd rather live in a cardboard box than in a br***el.

Does Pattaya not have proper roads?

Edited by Neeranam

I don't own my house, if that's what you mean. What's that got to do with anything?

Advantage Neeranam......... thai_narak to serve....... :o

Edited by ratcatcher

i just like the fact that i can drive my hilux even when i'm wet. also, i have more space where i can out all diving gears etc.... you call those roads?

:D This thread is hilarious!

Each to their own is what I say. One thing that has to be said though is that the Fortuner IS the best value for money SUV available on the market here today. I'm actually a very happy Vigo man, personal choice as I prefer pick ups, but there is no denying that the Fortuner, whatever colour is certainly value for money if it's a SUV you want. If it's not your type of vehicle, so what, don't let it upset you.

:o

We also had a 1999 Tiger we replaced with the Vigo. Night and Day difference. And, when you drive a Vigo (in the curvy mountain roads of Phuket) compared to Isuzu or anything else, that Vigo drives like a sports car.

That's what I had, a (1999 BF) Tiger 2 door 4wd, so you can imagine the difference I experienced when I drove the Tuner, that was in January (2006 AF).

Neeranam, in December if you see a Fortuner being driven by an incredibly handsome Farang, with a 6ft Christmas tree stuck on the roof with flashing lights, say hi! :o

However, IMHO there does seem to be a different driving mentality of those driving larger vehicles. It's a variation on the BMW and Merc mentality you see on the motorways...that of being able to drive faster than everyone else and in complete safety and those driving lesser expensive vehicles are not to obstruct their passage. Drivers of larger vehicles, typically 4WD, do tend to be more agressive simply due to the superiority the drivers command through the relative size of the vehicle. And that's not just something peculiar to Thailand but also occurs in many western countries as well.
I think that you'll find that there is a big difference in IQ too, maybe the size of their ***** too :D

All Hilux drivers would rather have a Fortuner but can't afford it. Most Fortuner drivers would rather have a BMW SUV.etc etc.

Selfishness plays a big part in driving a pick-up.

Not me, cant get 3 motorbikes in the back of a fortuner ! :o

Are you a window cleaner?

No. Are you a window licker?

A painter and decorator?

I know one guy with a pick-up because he goes to Viengtienne once a month. Go figure that out, maybe they don't have roads there.

Anyway, I may get one second hand in a couple of years. Though it also depends on what my wife drives at that time, because I absolutely need at least one proper pick-up in the family, to use during Songkran.
Why not rent one for 500 baht for the day, then the rest of the year you can have a proper car.
Why dont we have a topic on what shoes we wear ,or food we eat .jeez !

Have you been to pattaya lately, ? its like Beirut, no shit,jazzs dissapear into holes and are not seen again !

Im told nutters are attracted to yellow, how much was it !

i just like the fact that i can drive my hilux even when i'm wet. also, i have more space where i can out all diving gears etc.... you call those roads?

I love it when you talk dirty ! :o Edited by mikethevigoman

Fortuner drivers or any other 4x4 drivers with snorkel air filters that just drive around the city need bashing, why on earth is this the latest fasion accessory for those who have never taken there cars off road.

Edited by ltdknowledge

Fortuner drivers or any other 4x4 drivers with snorkel air filters that just drive around the city need bashing, why on earth is this the latest fasion accessory for those who have never taken there cars off road.

That's why..You have obviously never been in Bangkok during flash floods.

Edited by Austhaied

Another Aussie dick with a small one! England Rules, all small dicks drive fortunas, check out google

Another Aussie dick with a small one! England Rules, all small dicks drive fortunas, check out google

I guess you drive a "mini" then pommie.. :o:D :D