Why people so selfish?

Sparktrader

54 minutes ago, Kanada said:

Well we don’t have to wonder why you left your country????

I hope you left your attitude and bad manners back there and came here with a smile!

Holleeeee????

Some people just don't get it - hence the need to further their education.

I have never seen it here - which goes to show you where children are reared in a correct manner.

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

Good points. Well taken. I am not anti-children. I do not have kids, and am grateful for that, but I really like kids. Especially those who are well behaved in public, and those fortunate enough to have grown up in an environment like you created for your son. Later on in life, my bet is that he will be a far more advanced human being, and have alot more self control and discipline, as a result of the boundaries you have set for him. I feel sorry for the ones who have parents who refuse to set boundaries.

I asked a good friend of mine why he allows his son to misbehave the way he does. He told me if he disciplines him, he is afraid his son will like him less. I asked him, are you raising a son, or trying to make a friend? He did not have an answer for that. How pathetic. 

Your job as a parent is to prepare your child for Life.

This means learning correct behavior.

One Caveat - I had both my parents growing up. Was an Altar Boy, Cub scout, all the white bread Status Quo BS that people believe will make a "Good Citizen"

All out the window at age 14 ...

Altho the correct behavior I was taught served me well when I spent my time with those "Outside" the system

But I was taught the basics - the rest was up to me.

This is ALL you can do.

4 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

Your job as a parent is to prepare your child for Life.

This means learning correct behavior.

One Caveat - I had both my parents growing up. Was an Altar Boy, Cub scout, all the white bread Status Quo BS that people believe will make a "Good Citizen"

All out the window at age 14 ...

Altho the correct behavior I was taught served me well when I spent my time with those "Outside" the system

But I was taught the basics - the rest was up to me.

This is ALL you can do.

Generally speaking, environment is stronger than willpower, especially for someone young. But, a good upbringing at least gives you some tools, and teaches you the meaning of self discipline. I am wondering how so many kids of today are going to turn out. Very few contemporary parents seem willing to keep their kids in line and show them the limits. Without limits, kids are lost. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

Generally speaking, environment is stronger than willpower, especially for someone young. But, a good upbringing at least gives you some tools, and teaches you the meaning of self discipline. I am wondering how so many kids of today are going to turn out. Very few contemporary parents seem willing to keep their kids in line and show them the limits. Without limits, kids are lost. 

I think it’s pretty easy to get an idea how today’s kids will turn out!

You can see how the last generation  was parented and how they turned out just by reading the above posts..

• Haha 1

The most selfish thing of all in this world is not having children. That is like just enjoying what society has to offer but giving nothing back that will ensure society, its facilities and institutions, roads, hospitals, pensions will continue. All those things are financed on the back of and only exist because some people take it upon themselves to have children. That is why people who have children get tax breaks and people who don't have children get taxed more heavily. People who have children are more valued. And that is absolutely correct. People who don't have children are freeloaders on society, selfish and merely indulging their personal pleasures at the expense of everyone else and future society in particular.

I would say people who have no children giving advice on parenting is like people who never had a car giving advice on driving.

Unfortunately even among those people who have cars there are many deranged and stupid drivers, so even having a car is no guarantee anyone can give good advice on good driving. Same with having children.

So far the advice on this thread in terms of children has been to:

1) Shout at them "Shut the hell up" (Canthai55) - Which would of course make the toddler scream even more

2) Hit them really hard (Rampant Rabbit) - Which would course make the toddler scream even more

3) Do nothing and pay no attention (Richard) - Which, well, does nothing.

4) Spend time with them (Kanada) - Which again does nothing in terms of stopping an out of control toddler.

5) Set boundaries (Spidermike) - Which would be rather interesting to see how Mike explains those boundaries to a 3 year old who can not speak or understand his language, and by nature has not yet learned to control himself.

6) Tell the parents to keep quiet (geisha) - Which does nothing to keep the toddler quiet but will have you seen as a child hater by the parents and everyone else around

7) Tell them lunch and the beach outing is cancelled and they'll learn (Stocky) - Which rather ignores toddlers do not have reflective thinking of this nature and what works with 12 year olds does not work with an excited toddler, so again does nothing.

It's all pretty ludicrous, none of it is really going to stop a toddler making noise, and if that were to happen don't be a selfish self-entitled self-appointed education expert but rather thank that parent for putting up with all the hardships, creating future taxpayers and ensuring pensions, hospitals, roads will be paid for in the future.

Thank God Thai people have a non-selfish and humane attitude towards children, unlike many of these Anglo-Saxon expats who apparently can't tolerate the voice of children.

Edited by Tanomazu
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, Tanomazu said:

It's all pretty ludicrous, none of it is really going to stop a toddler making noise

It seems you have the child for Omen, sometimes you read posts and you think perhaps there is a god.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

I highly value inconsiderate, self-absorbed, brain dead idiots who are too lazy to watch their children, and if they are causing distress to other people around them and making an uproar, choose to do nothing.

But, I guess instead of doing the child rearing of their children myself I should leave it in their capable hands.

NOT - don't wanna do it. I will.

And I care not a JOT if poor little 2 or 3 year old whoever can not learn the lesson - just so long as they are gone, along with their 'Highly Valued' parents

Who you value or don't value is really of no interest to any parent. You will long be gone when those children who you want to scream at like a maniac will take over. The point is governments all over the world value couples with children more because decision makers, unlike you, understand that pensions, roads, hospitals, are all financed by future taxpayers, not expats who leave to Thailand to scream at little kids.

To shout at a toddler "Shut the hell up" is about the most idiotic advice anyone has ever given on this forum.

You will? You will do nothing. You have never shouted at a toddler to "Shut the hell up", which would never have worked. All you will do is watch how those children take over and have a big mouth on the internet. That's about it.

Those children, and those families will be all over Thailand, all over the best restaurants, the cinemas, and you will hear the beautiful voices of children for the rest of your life. Live with it.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sparktrader said:

World over populated

Having children for tax breaks is very selfish

Pensions, roads, hospitals, all financed by taxpayers who were children. FACT. Without children there are no taxpayers. All of society's institutions disintegrate.

That is why the most selfish thing in the world is not to have children. People who do not have children only enjoy the rewards of society, hospitals, roads, pensions, but they do not provide for future taxpayers who ensure those systems will continue. Childless people are freeloaders, selfish and are in no position to give any advice on parenting or anything else. They have no well-rounded life experience, no personal growth to speak of, which only comes with children, and should be taxed more heavily to finance the costs of overpopulation.

• Sad 2

12 minutes ago, Tanomazu said:

Pensions, roads, hospitals, all financed by taxpayers who were children. FACT. Without children there are no taxpayers. All of society's institutions disintegrate.

That is why the most selfish thing in the world is not to have children. People who do not have children only enjoy the rewards of society, hospitals, roads, pensions, but they do not provide for future taxpayers who ensure those systems will continue. Childless people are freeloaders, selfish and are in no position to give any advice on parenting or anything else. They have no well-rounded life experience, no personal growth to speak of, which only comes with children, and should be taxed more heavily to finance the costs of overpopulation.

Rubbish. Lots of kids become dole bludgers. Roads are funded by petrol taxes. Anyone with a car pays it..

Hospitals are funded by taxes on smokes, alcohol etc. 

Heavy drinkers and smokers pay the bill.

These bludgers having kids arent.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Rubbish. Lots of kids become dole bludgers. Roads are funded by petrol taxes. Anyone with a car pays it..

Hospitals are funded by taxes on smokes, alcohol etc. 

Heavy drinkers and smokers pay the bill.

These bludgers having kids arent.

Roads are not funded by "petrol taxes"or car drivers.

"Motorists pay for roads, yes? No. All tax payers pay for roads, not just motorists. Those who pay income tax and those who pay council tax are the ones who pay for roads, and that’s not just motorists. And anybody who buys anything in Britain also helps to pay for roads because VAT also contributes to the national coffers. Businesses which pay business rates also contribute into the national coffers. And that’s where the money for roads comes from: the consolidated fund, the treasury’s pot of cash that pays for everything. No taxation in the UK is ring-fenced i.e raised by one set of users, and spent on that set of users. But what about ‘road tax’? Clearly, the name says it all, you might think, it’s a tax that pays for roads! Sorry, no, ‘road tax’ doesn’t actually exist. It was abolished in 1937, along with the ‘road fund licence’. It’s now car tax, a UK tax on tailpipe CO2 emissions above 100gm per km*. It’s not now, and never has been, a fee to use roads."

https://ipayroadtax.com/no-such-thing-as-road-tax/who-pays-road-tax/

As for Hospitals being funded by taxes on cigarettes and alcohol, again total nonsense.

"Primarily funded by the government from general taxation (plus a small amount from National Insurance contributions)"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Health_Service_(England)

Smokers are a huge drain on taxation due to their elevated healthcare costs, another set of incredibly selfish individuals that are a drain on society.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Tanomazu said:

Roads are not funded by "petrol taxes"or car drivers.

"Motorists pay for roads, yes? No. All tax payers pay for roads, not just motorists. Those who pay income tax and those who pay council tax are the ones who pay for roads, and that’s not just motorists. And anybody who buys anything in Britain also helps to pay for roads because VAT also contributes to the national coffers. Businesses which pay business rates also contribute into the national coffers. And that’s where the money for roads comes from: the consolidated fund, the treasury’s pot of cash that pays for everything. No taxation in the UK is ring-fenced i.e raised by one set of users, and spent on that set of users. But what about ‘road tax’? Clearly, the name says it all, you might think, it’s a tax that pays for roads! Sorry, no, ‘road tax’ doesn’t actually exist. It was abolished in 1937, along with the ‘road fund licence’. It’s now car tax, a UK tax on tailpipe CO2 emissions above 100gm per km*. It’s not now, and never has been, a fee to use roads."

https://ipayroadtax.com/no-such-thing-as-road-tax/who-pays-road-tax/

As for Hospitals being funded by taxes on cigarettes and alcohol, again total nonsense.

"Primarily funded by the government from general taxation (plus a small amount from National Insurance contributions)"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Health_Service_(England)

Smokers are a huge drain on taxation due to their elevated healthcare costs, another set of incredibly selfish individuals that are a drain on society.

Rubbish. Car and road taxes are very high. They pay for the roads.

• Like 1

Just now, Sparktrader said:

Rubbish. They pay 100,000 in cig tax then die younger.

The non smoker lives 10 years longer on the pension and pays no cig tax.

Gamblers, drinkers and smokers build the roads and hospitals more than anyone.

The parasites having 5 kids and not working dont build a damn thing!

• Like 1