Had anyone tried having a baby in Thailand as a foreigner?

KHY0307

2 hours ago, TravelerEastWest said:

Congratulations on the baby!

I don't remember the cost but it wasn't much for a routine birth.

Certainly less than in America.

I suggest a large private hospital like Bangkok hospital where it is clean and comfortable and they speak English...

https://www.bangkokhospital-chiangrai.com/en/

https://www.bangkokhospital-chiangrai.com/en/center/womens-health-clinic/

Thank you so much! I am asking because when i tried to visit the website of the bangkok Hospital, it said it's going to cost 130k! For only the C-section package!

Obstetric (Delivery) Packages | Bangkok Hospital

That's the reason why i was shocked and tried to ask for help online!

But right now i am seeing comments with some ppl say costing only ard 50k for the whole progress, i am then feeling so much better and relief!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

We paid around 60,000 baht as an upfront package to include all the pre-birth checks and scans and she ended up having a Caesarean delivery (2015 at a private hospital in Pattaya).  

Thanks for the reply! Do you mind sharing the name of the hospital pls? Though I may not be able to travel to Pattaya during the pandemic still would like to know that for references! Many Thanks!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Question is do you have medical insurance that would cover a pregnancy, or better yet I should say does she.  Then of course you could check with the local hospitals to see what the cost is for the doctors visits, and so on as far as Labor and delivery.  Here in BKK it ran my GF, who is from Myanmar 20k Baht when she had her daughter 7 years ago, and When my daughter was born at Bangkok Hospital some years back the Insurance I had for my wife at the time covered the whole shebang. YMMV, but you better check.

Thank you for your reply! It's pretty sad that we do not have the medical insurances covered with pregnancy...!

Anyway, i am asking because the Website from Bangkok Hospital said the C-section is going to cost 130k! I was terribly shocked by that but right now seeing comments with reasonable prices i am feeling so much better!..

Edited by KHY0307
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, KHY0307 said:

Thank you so much! I am asking because when i tried to visit the website of the bangkok Hospital, it said it's going to cost 130k! For only the C-section package!

That's the reason why i was shocked and tried to ask for help online!

But right now i am seeing comments with some ppl say costing only ard 50k for the whole progress, i am then feeling so much better and relief!

Might be because of COVID-19.

Places are busier and tests for COVID-19.

31 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Cost very much depends on:

- Whether govt or private hospital

- Vaginal delivery vs C-section (hard to avoid C-section in private hospitals)

- Whether any complications with mother or baby

Anywhere from as luttle as 20-25k (vaginal delivery in govt hospital) to 5 million and up (private hospital with srrious complications e.g. infant in NICU).

While government hospitals are the least expensive, they do have some real drawbacks for a foreign woman:

- little or no English spoken by the nurses (can be terrifying for a woman in labor to not be able to communicate)

- husband not allowed in delivery room

- generally not able to assert wishes or preferences about birth plan

And even in a govt hospital bills can easily hit 1million baht if there ate complucatiobs with the baby

Many foreigners have come to grirf because they picked a hospital with an affordable delivery package and did not factor in the possibility of complications. Package prices do not include complications and neonatal intensive care is ectremely expensive.

Is your gf employed here? If so she may be under Thai Social Security in which case she can deliver at her nominated SS hospital and everything will be covered.

1M bills...???? god 

yes we both have the working permit here. maybe we have to check if the gov. cover anything for working permit ppl under this kind of condition

8 hours ago, KHY0307 said:

Thanks for the reply! Do you mind sharing the name of the hospital pls? Though I may not be able to travel to Pattaya during the pandemic still would like to know that for references! Many Thanks!

I recall someone posting his Thai wife had a baby at Bang Lamung Hospital (Pattaya govt hospital) and it was pretty inexpensive, i vaguely remember 13k

• Thanks 1

Six years ago Chiang Mai Goverment maternity hospital, initial blood tests for both of us HIV & Syph checks then later visit ultrasound was 4,000B  then delivery plus 2 days in ward 10,000B+ so total 14,000B+ also extra 500B for my passport and name translated for birth certificate

Then DNA test kit from ebay £110 .. after result .. money saved several million baht ..

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, KHY0307 said:

Pattaya Memorial Hospital. But it was in 2015.  Good luck!

12 hours ago, KHY0307 said:

hello folks,

just realised my gf is pregnant and both of us are foreigners 

have anyone had same situation before? how much does it cost for the whole thing in thai hospital?

we are living in Chiang Rai

If it's a "creamy" nothing... ????

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Depends if you want to do natural birth or csection. For natural birth I would go to the government hospital in the centre of chiang rai, providing you speak some thai they have a natural birthing course you can enrol in for free and then you only pay a couple of thousand for the VIP room for recovery. 

For private I would go to Sriburin hospital. We paid around 60k with 3 nights in hospital. Very professional and helpful, if there are complications and are afraid of the bill you can always tell them and move to the government hospital.

But first of I highly recommend you go to Kultali clinic. She will be able to tell you all these things, the costs and specifics. She speaks extremely good English and will do all the check ups and the delivery of the baby at hospital of choice.

Good luck

Screenshot_20210831-085231_Brave.jpg

Edited by elcaro
  • Like 1

Please visit a government hospital to see if you are comfortable with the level of English etc.

For me I would prefer to save up and go to a really good private hospital...

I have known many people who have had bad experiences at government hospitals slow service, lack of English, rude nurses, young doctors without experience, lack of modern medicine - mostly generics etc..

But that is a personal preference.