Had anyone tried having a baby in Thailand as a foreigner?

KHY0307

While I am sure vast majority of births are uncomplicated and within the packages prices mentioned, you must remember that the baby will not always follow their time-table and want to come at night or at a weekend where a C-Section will not be package price.

I paid 40K for my wifes C-Section in BKK Pattaya hospital 10 years ago, it was arranged through a private OB-Gyn clinic outside the hospital.

I was terrified and had saved up as much money as I could in case of complications as that is when a for-profit hospital like that would screw you.

Depending on your funds, consider the private/public hospital option carefully. 

There is nothing wrong with the Public hospitals, they could be knocking out maybe 20-30 a day, Compared to private hospitals 2-3 a day, they will be very experienced.

• Like 2

Had anyone tried having a baby in Thailand as a foreigner?

I've tried many times , possibly hundreds, since arriving here 12 years ago. Not been successful though so apologies but I cant help.

Maybe it was that op I had 30 years ago that's causing the problem, the operation that also stopped me playing professional footy and a career as a concert pianist. Or maybe I should try as a non foreigner.

• Sad 1

did a package with bangkok hospital in samui.Excellent service and great facilities.we're not married but had my name on the birth certificate.Think hard about which surname you will chose if not married ! it might facilitate easier travel to homeland countries.if having a caesarian,the mum won't be able to hold the baby for the first night because of the anaestheics.our's was wrapped up tight and put in a baby ward first night.Not sure if that was best .she seemed to have colic for a while after.Its important for a baby to have skin to skin contact, which reassures them.Lastly , with no extended family around to help,think about having some help .you will need it.a night nanny and/or a day nanny will ensure everyone gets some rest and can get work done ,if working from home..good luck

• Like 1

11 hours ago, KHY0307 said:

Thank you so much! I am asking because when i tried to visit the website of the bangkok Hospital, it said it's going to cost 130k! For only the C-section package!

Obstetric (Delivery) Packages | Bangkok Hospital

That's the reason why i was shocked and tried to ask for help online!

But right now i am seeing comments with some ppl say costing only ard 50k for the whole progress, i am then feeling so much better and relief!

Try a Govt. Hospital private room about 1,500 baht a night+ medical costs, plenty of kids born there. Forgot to add you would be allowed to stay with her throughout.

Edited by brianthainess

4 hours ago, arick said:

Relatives have had three last month. 

Why don't you ask the hospital. Did you find out she is pregnant from the pregnancy stick in 711 which cost less then a condom. 

we are not close to downtown, will go to the hospital this fri.

asking only because the price from the bkk hospital is 130k and we felt shocked abt it.

if it's 50-60k it very reasonable.

thanks for reply!

3 hours ago, Mickeem said:

Six years ago Chiang Mai Goverment maternity hospital, initial blood tests for both of us HIV & Syph checks then later visit ultrasound was 4,000B  then delivery plus 2 days in ward 10,000B+ so total 14,000B+ also extra 500B for my passport and name translated for birth certificate

Then DNA test kit from ebay £110 .. after result .. money saved several million baht ..

thanks for reply!

Mind if i ask wt is the DNA test kit used for if the birth certificate already had your legal name on it?

2 hours ago, elcaro said:

Depends if you want to do natural birth or csection. For natural birth I would go to the government hospital in the centre of chiang rai, providing you speak some thai they have a natural birthing course you can enrol in for free and then you only pay a couple of thousand for the VIP room for recovery. 

For private I would go to Sriburin hospital. We paid around 60k with 3 nights in hospital. Very professional and helpful, if there are complications and are afraid of the bill you can always tell them and move to the government hospital.

But first of I highly recommend you go to Kultali clinic. She will be able to tell you all these things, the costs and specifics. She speaks extremely good English and will do all the check ups and the delivery of the baby at hospital of choice.

Good luck

Screenshot_20210831-085231_Brave.jpg

Thank you so much! Finally someone who is a ' Chiang Rai People' too!

Our plan was to go to Overbrook CR this friday BUT thank you so much for the clinic info! I think we will switch to this clinic and have the checking this friday!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TravelerEastWest said:

Please visit a government hospital to see if you are comfortable with the level of English etc.

For me I would prefer to save up and go to a really good private hospital...

I have known many people who have had bad experiences at government hospitals slow service, lack of English, rude nurses, young doctors without experience, lack of modern medicine - mostly generics etc..

But that is a personal preference.

Thanks! My gf felt the same with that too since she had experiences 

1 hour ago, VocalNeal said:

I am told the big government hospital in Chiang Rai is well organized and laid out. A friend who went there , not childbirth, said it was very nice. 

Take your GF and go and have a look. 

Thank you!!

1 hour ago, l4ml4m said:

wow so great ! A dream baby with a dream farang woman during a pandemics ! you are so lucky ! you are living the dream ❤️

Thanks ! to be honest kind of worry abt everthing since this is the first baby we are having!

1 hour ago, l4ml4m said:

wow so great ! A dream baby with a dream farang woman during a pandemics ! you are so lucky ! you are living the dream ❤️

Thanks ! to be honest kind of worry abt everthing since this is the first baby we are having!

We've just delivered three weeks ago in CM.

Flipping through this thread most info is outdated/non-sense and maybe 5% is ok. I'll be happy to share our extensive research comparing government and private hospitals in CM, the ups/downs we had at both and why we finally decided to deliver @ a private hospital (will also apply to CR) in a call. Please DM me for contacts

16 hours ago, KHY0307 said:

just realised my gf is pregnant and both of us are foreigners 

have anyone had same situation before? how much does it cost for the whole thing in thai hospital?

A number of foreign couples have experienced that happiness before.

If you use a government hospital - it might also be called a public hospital(?) - the fees are relative affordable.

My Thai girlfriend gave birth in a government hospital up Isaan - she had recently assigned to Social Security, so we should pay ourselves and reclaim the bill later, which I never did, as it was (very) affordable for me - a private aircon VIP-room with bath, balcony and extra bed; planned cesarean due to umbilical cord problems; total three days in hospital; all in all cost (exclusive food) was little less than 12,000 baht in August 2005. If following the Thai consumer price index that would equal 16,000 baht today, probably little more due to some level of dual pricing.

Government hospitals are (relative) affordable, even there might be difference in price in different areas/provinces. Private hospitals can be (extremely) expensive, but you can probably check some price lists, eventual complications might be extra.

We were very satisfied with the government hospital and the service, but there might also be difference in between them; eventual check potential government hospitals in the area where you stay...????

1 hour ago, clonetom said:

We've just delivered three weeks ago in CM.

Flipping through this thread most info is outdated/non-sense and maybe 5% is ok. I'll be happy to share our extensive research comparing government and private hospitals in CM, the ups/downs we had at both and why we finally decided to deliver @ a private hospital (will also apply to CR) in a call. Please DM me for contacts

DMed!????

I don't think it's the cost of the hospital it's getting to the hospital on time I would be more worried about if you are in bkk and far from hospital traffic could be bad depending in time if day and she goes into labour well that could be minutes hours or days before baby comes.

I would be planning routes and have plan A.B.and C you got months to save money for hospital and maybe 100.000 baht at most. And congratulations hope all hies well

• Confused 1

17 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

We paid around 60,000 baht as an upfront package to include all the pre-birth checks and scans and she ended up having a Caesarean delivery (2015 at a private hospital in Pattaya).  

Sorry to say that, but scar-esareans are the norm in Thailand. Even when not medically imperative. Girls prefer it (scared in advance to suffer and/or to have post delivery vagina issues). An habit encouraged by the hospitals (confirmed by a friend who is nurse in maternity). Easier, faster and more profits for the hospital.  meanwhile they pay low salaries to the overworking nurses

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Question is do you have medical insurance that would cover a pregnancy, or better yet I should say does she.  Then of course you could check with the local hospitals to see what the cost is for the doctors visits, and so on as far as Labor and delivery.  Here in BKK it ran my GF, who is from Myanmar 20k Baht when she had her daughter 7 years ago, and When my daughter was born at Bangkok Hospital some years back the Insurance I had for my wife at the time covered the whole shebang. YMMV, but you better check.

delivery.

Grab, Lineman etc. Many options for the delivery.

1 hour ago, malthebluff said:

I don't think it's the cost of the hospital it's getting to the hospital on time I would be more worried about if you are in bkk and far from hospital traffic could be bad depending in time if day and she goes into labour well that could be minutes hours or days before baby comes.

I would be planning routes and have plan A.B.and C you got months to save money for hospital and maybe 100.000 baht at most. And congratulations hope all hies well

"we are living in Chiang Rai"

6 hours ago, KHY0307 said:

we are not close to downtown, will go to the hospital this fri.

asking only because the price from the bkk hospital is 130k and we felt shocked abt it.

if it's 50-60k it very reasonable.

thanks for reply!

Just go to a government hospital proably around 3 to 5000 baht. If a c section maybe 10,000 don't go to bkk hospital. I bloody liver dissection at the University hospital is just 112,000 baht with private room. 3 hours operation. You can have it at home and just hire a mid wife nurse! For 1000.

1 hour ago, arick said:

Just go to a government hospital proably around 3 to 5000 baht. If a c section maybe 10,000 don't go to bkk hospital. I bloody liver dissection at the University hospital is just 112,000 baht with private room. 3 hours operation. You can have it at home and just hire a mid wife nurse! For 1000.

Thanks for reply, may i ask which University hospital did you go for the operation?

19 hours ago, KHY0307 said:
23 hours ago, Mickeem said:

Six years ago Chiang Mai Goverment maternity hospital, initial blood tests for both of us HIV & Syph checks then later visit ultrasound was 4,000B  then delivery plus 2 days in ward 10,000B+ so total 14,000B+ also extra 500B for my passport and name translated for birth certificate

Then DNA test kit from ebay £110 .. after result .. money saved several million baht ..

Expand  

thanks for reply!

Mind if i ask wt is the DNA test kit used for if the birth certificate already had your legal name on it?

I bought the DNA test kit off ebay when in the Uk then traveled to CM for the birth .. took her to the Gov maternity hospital and as soon as she was discharged had to get my name transliterated to Thai for the 'fathers details'  on the birth certificate

I took swabs from inside the babies mouth before returning to the Uk and the results arrived 5 days later confirming my suspicions (she disappeared for 5 days around the time of the conception) She confessed to her deceit and has changed the kids surname via her local Amphur I am not legally the Father as it was never registered with the embassy

I think if you need legal binding DNA paternity tests done in Thailand they have to be done through 'the Police hospital' at Bangkok