Is There A Way To Domesticate A Feral Cat?

On 9/2/2021 at 7:44 PM, JetsetBkk said:

He was at the bottom of the garden this morning so I called him over and gave him some food. I also picked him up by the scruff of the neck and gave him a good talking to.

So the poor critter will think that by sitting calmly at the bottom of the garden and coming to get food from you is wrong.

I'd suggest you attend some animal training courses, leave the cat at home.

On 9/2/2021 at 11:27 PM, Maybole said:

Even thoroughly domesticated cats have an in-built hunting instinct. Many years ago our family cat (female) regularly caught birds and presented them to us as a gift or to show off just how good a cat she was. She was fed well enough to get fat.

So true cats will bring you 'food', once had a cat in the UK drop a pigeon on my chest, while i was laying in bed. A vinery owner in OZ told me his cat drops a Rabbit on his step, EVERDAY.  

8 hours ago, bluejets said:

So the poor critter will think that by sitting calmly at the bottom of the garden and coming to get food from you is wrong.

I'd suggest you attend some animal training courses, leave the cat at home.

The poor critter was waiting on the front door mat this morning for his food and started meowing as soon as he heard me in the house.

So I don't think he's as dumb as some posters are think he is.

Very glad you have decided to persevere with him. My apologies for an overly strong earlier post. I am sure your patience will be rewarded. Just remember when he brings prey to show to you he is paying his respects. I doubt that you will be able to stop this. Normal feline instinct. However, he most likely won't hunt so much as he gets older.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Thingamabob said:

Very glad you have decided to persevere with him. My apologies for an overly strong earlier post. I am sure your patience will be rewarded. Just remember when he brings prey to show to you he is paying his respects. I doubt that you will be able to stop this. Normal feline instinct. However, he most likely won't hunt so much as he gets older.

No problems. Thingamabob.  I tried to find a collar and bell today, but no luck in my local stores. Other cats I have had did bring "presents" for me, but he really did enjoy eating that bird! Tonight he had some Top Cat "Tuna in Aspic" and some Friskies "Surfin' Favourites", so maybe he won't be so hungry tomorrow!