No more 30 Day Passes on the BTS from the end of September :(

Crossy

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

Currently much of the non-core railway is operating for free (and BTS are not being paid to operate the trains).

When they actually start charging for travel there will be a significant cost increase of course.

This saga is dragging on for a long time. But just reading the wording of that announcement, it's clear what is coming, and approximately when.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Since when have non-Thai Seniors been able to receive a 50% discount on the BTS? It used to be only available to Thais, although available to everyone on the MRT.

Yeah, BTS is still Thai only for elder.

The Facebore page has the same announcement in Thai.

42 minutes ago, Crossy said:
48 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Since when have non-Thai Seniors been able to receive a 50% discount on the BTS? It used to be only available to Thais, although available to everyone on the MRT.

Yeah, BTS is still Thai only for elder.

The Facebore page has the same announcement in Thai.

So their announcement is wrong. They forgot to add at the end 'for Thai citizens only. Foreigners must always pay full price in line with our dual -pricing policy'.

I wrote to them once questioning their policy. Received no reply.

And interesting that they announce the discount in English (as well in Thai elsewhere) even though it is not available to Thailand's 'guests'.

2 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

And interesting that they announce the discount in English (as well in Thai elsewhere) even though it is not available to Thailand's 'guests'.

It's just a direct translation of the Thai announcement. Would you rather it was in Thai only?

I don't like the policy any more than you do but it is what it is.

A little confused does  this mean that I can no longer top up my carrot card and use it?

As to lack of tourists this has nothing to do with tourists the problem has long ben happening with the government promising free rides and not living up to the contractual agreement.

BTS LLC is feeling the crunch when you consider how many extra miles and hours the trains are running with no money to offset the hard costs as well as the wages paid to staff at all the extra stops.

As a shareholder I wish they would simply either shut down or sue the federal and municipal governments.

Just now, kingstonkid said:

A little confused does  this mean that I can no longer top up my carrot card and use it?

It only applies to the 30 day passes which you can (currently) load on your Rabbit card.

You can continue to load and use value on your card.

24 minutes ago, Crossy said:
28 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

It's just a direct translation of the Thai announcement. Would you rather it was in Thai only?

No, I'd rather they had taken 10 seconds to edit it for non-Thais instead of making a very clear statement that is false. Where I come from, saying there is a discount when there isn't would land them in court, and they would either have to honour their published declaration or re-word it. After they had been fined.

They might have also added that if you do not wish to be a victim of dual-pricing then you might like to consider taking an alternative route using the MRT, where discounts are available to everyone regardless of nationality.

11 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

No, I'd rather they had taken 10 seconds to edit it for non-Thais instead of making a very clear statement that is false. Where I come from, saying there is a discount when there isn't would land them in court, and they would either have to honour their published declaration or re-word it. After they had been fined.

They might have also added that if you do not wish to be a victim of dual-pricing then you might like to consider taking an alternative route using the MRT, where discounts are available to everyone regardless of nationality.

What is false about the English announcement?  30-day trip passes have always been available to non-Thais.  The change affects both Thais and non-Thais in exactly the same way.

5 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

What is false about the English announcement?  30-day trip passes have always been available to non-Thais.  The change affects both Thais and non-Thais in exactly the same way.

The final line, about 50% discount for Seniors. It is not available unless you are Thai, yet they announce the discount in English as they were too lazy to edit the translation.

• Like 1

OK, let's try and stay on-topic which is NOT the BTS policy on elders, nor is it the possibly poor translation of their announcement.

Any further discussion along these lines will be removed.