Validy of passport for renewal

Hello, about 6 months validity, is it "after the extension " or " after the end of extension " ? My embassy says "after extension" but I want to be sure to have one year not six months 

in my case, extension every april 14 th, my passport is valid until september 3  of 2023  

so, I can have my extension in next april till april 2023 then ask a new passport at the end of 2022 , as say my embassy ? 

If it's six months after  the end of the extension, I must have a passport valid till octobre 2023 , which is not the case

thank you 

There is no 6 month rule for extension and etc. There is also not one for entry to the country for those from most countries.

The only rule is that your passport must be valid for the length of the extension stay you are applying for for or it will only be issued to the day it expires,

In your case you passport will be valid for the 12 months so you will be issued a extension valid for 12 months.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

There is no 6 month rule for extension and etc. There is also not one for entry to the country for those from most countries.

The only rule is that your passport must be valid for the length of the extension stay you are applying for for or it will only be issued to the day it expires,

In your case you passport will be valid for the 12 months so you will be issued a extension valid for 12 months.

Agree re extension.

Thai embassy, London suggests otherwise about entry requirements:-

1. I would like to go to Thailand for vacation for 2 weeks. I hold British passport. Do I need a visa?

Nationals of the United Kingdom and over 40 other countries are eligible to travel to Thailand, for tourism purpose, with the exemption of visa and are permitted to stay in Thailand for a period of not exceeding 30 days. Therefore, you do not need a visa.

However, please make sure that you are in possession of a passport valid for at least 6 months, a round-trip air ticket, and adequate finances equivalent to at least 20,000 Baht (450 pounds) per person or 40,000 Baht (900 pounds) per family. Otherwise, you maybe inconvenienced upon entry into the country.

https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/page/84498-faq?menu=5d6636cd15e39c3bd00072ef

1 hour ago, Aforek said:

If it's six months after  the end of the extension, I must have a passport valid till octobre 2023 , which is not the case

thank you 

As pointed out......you do not need the 6 month validity past your next extension.

However I never understand why folk leave it to the last year. Not sure about other countries however Oz passport is issued with 10 yr validity.

Why not renew your pp when you have time early. Hardly big financial saving to put it off.

• Confused 1

my old passport expired in march this year and my visa extension renewal was in December '20(final approval in Jan this year) so I made sure to get a new passport before the extension date and save the hassle of having to get all the stamps transferred over to the new passport, worked well for me

15 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

Thai embassy, London suggests otherwise about entry requirements:-

Embassies in most case don't have a clue as to what is needed for visa exempt entry. Some still say that it is only 15 days at a border crossing and that was rescinded several years ago.

Same for the 6 month passport validity to enter the country. I think they just use their rule of 6 months validity to issue a visa.

I have used the IATA website to check to see what it says about entering with less than 6 months validity by entering the info wanted on the site and it said they were OK except for a few countries. I found in a random that most countries that qualify for a visa exempt entry did not require the 6 months validity.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Embassies in most case don't have a clue as to what is needed for visa exempt entry. Some still say that it is only 15 days at a border crossing and that was rescinded several years ago.

Same for the 6 month passport validity to enter the country. I think they just use their rule of 6 months validity to issue a visa.

I have used the IATA website to check to see what it says about entering with less than 6 months validity by entering the info wanted on the site and it said they were OK except for a few countries. I found in a random that most countries that qualify for a visa exempt entry did not require the 6 months validity.

The quality of the source is always important. I would certainly take IATA over these two (but it shows how difficult it is for internet searchers):-

Thailand

Timor-Leste (East Timor)

Turkey

Uganda

Venezuela

Vietnam

https://www.onlinevisa.com/news/six-month-passport-validity-rule/

Validity on arrival[edit]

Many countries require passports to have a remaining validity of six months or more on the date of arrival.

Countries requiring passport validity of at least 6 months on arrival include Afghanistan, Algeria, Bhutan, Botswana, Brunei, Cambodia, Canada, Comoros, Côte d'Ivoire, Ecuador, Egypt, El Salvador, Fiji, Guyana, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq (except when arriving at Basra - 3 months and Erbil or Sulaimaniyah - on arrival), Israel, Kenya, Laos, Madagascar, Malaysia, Marshall Islands, Mexico, Myanmar, Namibia, Nicaragua, Nigeria, Oman, Palau, Papua New Guinea, Rwanda, Saint Lucia, Samoa, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Solomon Islands, Spain, Sri Lanka, Suriname, Taiwan, Tanzania, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Tonga, Tuvalu, Uganda, Vanuatu, Venezuela, Vietnam

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passport_validity

• Like 1

@hotandstickyI agree, and you need legalistic language to deal with various specific situations. For instance, on arrival in Thailand, your passport only needs to be valid for your intended length of stay. On the other hand, if you apply for a visa to visit Thailand, the consulate will usually verify that your passport has six months validity as of the intended date of arrival. Thus, whether six months validity is required depends on context.

• Like 1

Even the UK Embassies in Bangkok and Laos were adamant that my son needed at least 6 months validity to enter Thailand from Laos last year (he had 4 months validity, but a valid extension until before the passport expired). 

Fortunately I got good advice from this Forum, and he got stamped in at the border on his soon-to-expire passport, and we renewed once he had returned, in time for a new extension.