Should Pattaya Embrace Segregation?

Lucky Bones

This is supposed to be about Pattaya. I am a 71 yr old living in Pattaya and I'm waiting to be called up for a shot. I have got a message that I'm approved,, just waiting for an appointment. I agree with both sides of the argument , but I live here in Thailand, and out of respect for the Thais and the Thai laws, I think getting vaccinated is the right thing to do. My Thai wife is already vaccinated, Sinovac and AZ, and hopefully by the end of the year, so will I. 

On 9/4/2021 at 1:55 PM, Fairynuff said:

Actually it’s not. The fact is that vaccinated people are less likely to pass on the virus and less likely suffer severe illness. 

and as much as 8 times less likely to be infected - yes over 80%

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

57 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

Honesty that is crazy and anyone that thinks someone not have a vaccine is the same as a drunk driver needs their head testing.

actually it's a pretty good argument when it comes to putting others at risk

anti vax crew would prefer the argument of not wearing a helmet as a choice but the difference is you only risk yourself, sometimes sensible laws are intoduced to protect people from themselves were they tend to make very poor choices in the face of overwhelming evidence

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, smedly said:

actually it's a pretty good argument when it comes to putting others at risk

anti vax crew would prefer the argument of not wearing a helmet as a choice but the difference is you only risk yourself, sometimes sensible laws are intoduced to protect people from themselves were they tend to make very poor choices in the face of overwhelming evidence

Thank you. You are so right, I have been so stupid. 

I have just told my unvaccinated children they are as dangerous to us as drunk drivers and kicked them out to live in the garden. 

I want malls, restaurant and public places to ban children now.  I see they are so dangerous to vaccinated people. Also people who have children are not thinking of the greater good of society and being selfish as their kids are a source of virus mutations and will spread covid 19 and kill innocent vaccinated people 

Edited by jak2002003
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

But an  unvaccinated person is no danger to a vaccinated one...unless you believed the vaccines don't work. 

yes they are - vaccines reduce the risks - all of them but not to zero, there are also people who cannot be vaccinated or want to be vaccinated but are behind.

the more unvaccinated people catching and spreading the more risk to the general population, also while this deadly virus is in circulation the higher the risk of more deadly mutations developing - if everyone had been vaccinated during the first wave of this virus we would no longer be dealing with it now - it would have been wiped out and millions of lives saved 

I don't like like having to be vaccinated and I also don't think people should be forced to vaccinate but in making that choice you are increasing the risk to others - that is a fact, there is also the issue of using up medical resources if and when you get sick and need life saving treatment which then deny others the use of that resource who need it 

Sorry but the argument to not be vaxed is a thin one and that choice definately affects other people 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

43 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

Thank you. You are so right, I have been so stupid. 

I have just told my unvaccinated children they are as dangerous to us as drunk drivers and kicked them out to live in the garden. 

I want malls, restaurant and public places to ban children now.  I see they are so dangerous to vaccinated people. Also people who have children are not thinking of the greater good of society and being selfish as their kids are a source of virus mutations and will spread covid 19 and kill innocent vaccinated people 

And you started that post so well... should have ended it sooner......

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/4/2021 at 8:32 AM, Tanomazu said:

Many countries have it written into law that health is a private matter. If you start to move away from that and declare health of an individual is now a public matter then things like smoking, eating too many calories, BDSM where people agree to be injured, high risk sports, all these things could and should become illegal

The rights of the individual are very different to the rights of others NOT to have risk imposed on them.  I'm a smoker and I believe I have a right to smoke if I so wish and I accept the potential health consequences  I do not believe however, that I have a right to impose my smoking on others.

People may well have a right NOT to be vaccinated but they do NOT have a right to impose risk on others.

The only thing that would change my opinion on that is if and when a vaccine is found that offers 100% protection. If that happens - let the anti-vaxxers take their chances but right now they have no right to place others at increased risk.

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

The rights of the individual are very different to the rights of others NOT to have risk imposed on them.  I'm a smoker and I believe I have a right to smoke if I so wish and I accept the potential health consequences  I do not believe however, that I have a right to impose my smoking on others.

People may well have a right NOT to be vaccinated but they do NOT have a right to impose risk on others.

The only thing that would change my opinion on that is if and when a vaccine is found that offers 100% protection. If that happens - let the anti-vaxxers take their chances but right now they have no right to place others at increased risk.

You would be less scared of covid if you stopped smoking and then you wouldn’t need to worry so much about other peoples medical choices that do not have anything to do with you.   

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

Yes I did. Thank you. Sorry it was impossible for you to validate your claims. 

Validation can found if you can be bothered or have the ability. The last word can be yours, I’m done tata.

Edited by Fairynuff
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, James105 said:

You would be less scared of covid if you stopped smoking and then you wouldn’t need to worry so much about other peoples medical choices that do not have anything to do with you.   

Sorry, don't understand any of that.  I have no intention of stopping smoking and I don't see how stopping smoking would make me 'less scared of covid'. I do not impose my smoking on others.

My concerns about 'other people's medical choices' as you put it have EVERYTHING to do with me if those choices put me at risk.

Smoking is a choice - being put at risk by others is not.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

49 minutes ago, chrissables said:

Quarantine the vaccinated! Especially if they are bleating about segregation. Let everyone else carry on.

I think the bleating is coming from the other direction.  Fortunately for those of us who are not scared of a little 'scratch' on our arms - segregation to a greater or lesser extent is coming so you'd better get used to it.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

56 minutes ago, chrissables said:

Well if you and your family are vaccinated and the vaccine works, why would you worry about what others do? 

Because a vaccine that offers 100% protection against either infection, severe illness or death is yet to be found.  I thought that was quite clear - your arguments have no validity.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, chrissables said:

Why not do it the other way, let the people who want to carry on as normal do so.

Again your argument has no validity.  People who have the vaccine don't pose any risk to others - the unvaccinated do.

• Confused 3
  • Haha 1

The debate could go on and on, but surely you guys must be wondering if you will all eventually have to get vaccinated to stay in Thailand?

Whether you will need to be vaccinated to enter an immigration office,

or they just make vaccination mandatory for all extension of stay and/or all visas.

They demand various paperwork every year, 400k in bank,

90day reporting, insurance,

not to mention all the nonsense you have to go through even when married to a Thai.. 

They just seem to like making it harder for farangs to stay.

Does anyone really think they will not pin vaccination to the list of requirements?

• Like 1