Should Pattaya Embrace Segregation?

Lucky Bones

59 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

I'm lecturing no-one - I'm simply sayin that no matter what your feelings on vaccines may be - segregation to a greater or lesser extent is coming. Indeed its already started in some parts of the world.

So you believe you still inhale the fumes of smokers - do you object to that?

Real segregation, state sanctioned different treatment based on vaccination in all areas, supermarkets, rail travel etc, is very unlikely. At most some entertainment venues will see it, and even then only during a very limited period of time. Because the government knows it can only put those measures in place while there is a specific and clear reason that justifies it, and the fourth wave won't last forever. As soon as it is no longer justified, by law, they have to remove it. And they have already removed Covid requirements to a large degree in the UK and other countries in Europe. I'm very relaxed about it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KhaoYai said:

And by the way, the WHO is simply posing a view. They have no power to re-make a country's entry policy.  Thailand requires those from high risk Yellow Fever countries to be vaccinated - that is the law.

Unless you have a doctor's note that says you have a reason not to have the vaccine, as your own link makes clear:

"A vaccination waiver can be issued by your medical practitioner if the Yellow Fever vaccine is contraindicated for medical reasons."

https://www.iamat.org/country/thailand/risk/yellow-fever

Always exceptions.

4 minutes ago, Lucky Bones said:

This thread is supposed to be about Pattaya.

Seems to have been lost somewhere.

Your post was about segregation regarding vaccinated v unvaccinated and as such has pretty much stuck to that, albeit on a larger scale than just Pattaya.

Also since you are new, a bit of advice. Even though you started the thread, you can't dictate the content. That's the job of the moderators. If they don't think it's relevant then they'll let the poster know. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Lucky Bones said:

MRJ2U/Fairynuff

Do you not understand that not everyone can safely risk a jab?

My wife has a medical condition and has been medically advised (not by facebook) not to be jabbed. She and I are not "anti-vaxxers".

We are just trying to live our time.

Yes, I have been jabbed and waiting for 2nd.

My part of trying to keep the family/village safe or away from hysteria.

Wow you are a regular super hero ...keeping you village safe from covid.  Good job! 

On 9/5/2021 at 7:18 PM, jak2002003 said:

You think life is back to normal when nearly 1000 people A DAY are hospitalised in the UK

698 average over the last 7 days. By no stretch of the imagination could 698 be seen as 'nearly 100'.

Edited by KhaoYai

11 hours ago, Tanomazu said:

At most some entertainment venues will see it, and even then only during a very limited period of time.

My wife was reading the Thai news today and the authorities in Korat are coming under fire for stating they intend imposing far reaching segregation as soon as the end of this month - including 7/11's !!!  Under fire, not because people object to it but because the vaccine programme is still way behind.

Apparently comments on social media largely support such a move but only when people have had the opportunity to be vaccinated.  Hopefully common sense will prevail but its an indicator of how things are going.

20 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Yesterday 988... bit of a spike on that average.

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/healthcare

spacer.png

That's a one day figure, not an average. Figures fluctuate quite a lot due to reporting peculiarities - an average is much more reliable.

The 698 figure, I qouted was direct from the BBC's News at Ten tonight.  One thing I have to clarify is that the BBC's figure could be England not the UK. I didn't hear that part and I can't find it on the BBC sites.

Whatever, the number of infections/hospitalisations is not translating into deaths at the rate it was last year and this January - entirely down to the vaccines.

Edited by KhaoYai

44 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

Whatever, the number of infections/hospitalisations is not translating into deaths at the rate it was last year and this January - entirely down to the vaccines.

Sky frequently report the ratio of deaths to infections as being 1/5th of what it was during the second wave, with the intent of demonstrating vaccine efficacy. 

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

My wife was reading the Thai news today and the authorities in Korat are coming under fire for stating they intend imposing far reaching segregation as soon as the end of this month - including 7/11's !!!  Under fire, not because people object to it but because the vaccine programme is still way behind.

Apparently comments on social media largely support such a move but only when people have had the opportunity to be vaccinated.  Hopefully common sense will prevail but its an indicator of how things are going.

IMO those that want to make loadsacash will start selling fake vaccination documents.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, KhaoYai said:

One thing I have to clarify is that the BBC's figure could be England not the UK. I didn't hear that part and I can't find it on the BBC sites.

Laughable you basically call someone a liar by claiming they posted exaggerated numbers and yet the ones you counter with you don't even know if they are accurate.

Edited by Ralf001
fixed spelling mistake.

1 hour ago, Ralf001 said:

Laughable you basically call someone a liar by claiming they posted exaggerated numbers and yet the ones you counter with you don't even know if they are accurate.

Not at all, I simply didn't hear whether they were talking about the entire UK or just England.  I'm being honest, not just plucking figures out of the air.  If I had to choose one or the other then knowing the way the BBC report this each day, I'd say the figures were for the entire UK.

As I said before, I can't find the daily average on the BBC website - they don't report those figures that way there.  They do state that the number of people in hospital is rising but nowhere near the peak of over 40,000 in January. 

The figure of 1000 people going into hospital was probably arrived at by a simple mistake - reading that the number of people in hospital was around 7000 and dividing by 7.  That would be be incorrect though as the number of people in hospital is different to those being hospitalised because a significant number of people have been in hospitalised for quite some time.  The only figure that gives an idea of the current situation is the daily average of admissions.

Overall, I was reacting to being told that I was living in cloud cuckoo land if I believed things were almost back to normal here in the UK. I stand by that and the fact that its due to the vaccines - they are the reason the UK has been able to lift almost all its restrictions and start living with the virus. The situation here is very, very different to last summer.

Daily infections are rising but are not translating into severe illness or deaths which is very different to before and is a result of almost 80% of the population being vaccinated.

One of the next steps is exactly what is being talked about here - imposing restrictions on people who refuse to be vaccinated.  The UK is already introducing some of those measures and it is very likely to introduce more.  I think though that such measures will be limited here as people will protest but Thailand is a different story.  Thailand does not have a true democracy and is more authoritarian than the UK.  Prayuth is now worried about the state of the economy and no matter how slow the vaccine programme has been, I don't think he will have any worries about imposing restrictions on those who refuse to be vaccinated.

Living with the virus is the only way forward and as has been established here - that can only be done by vaccinating a high proportion of the population.

Those of you who don't agree - well you're enitled to your opinion. Let's see what happens in Thailand in the coming months.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

IMO those that want to make loadsacash will start selling fake vaccination documents.

As far as I know - they are available already.  However, despite them rarely working correctly, Thailand is in love with mobile applications. Can an application with a QR code be faked? I genuinely have no idea.

15 hours ago, Tanomazu said:

Real segregation, state sanctioned different treatment based on vaccination in all areas, supermarkets, rail travel etc, is very unlikely. At most some entertainment venues will see it, and even then only during a very limited period of time. Because the government knows it can only put those measures in place while there is a specific and clear reason that justifies it, and the fourth wave won't last forever. As soon as it is no longer justified, by law, they have to remove it. And they have already removed Covid requirements to a large degree in the UK and other countries in Europe. I'm very relaxed about it

I presume you are talking about Europe?  I very much doubt that a coup leader (no matter what he masquerades as now) will be at all worried about the law.  Prayuth and his buddies have done exactly what they want up to now and when its looked like they might have problems, they've simply fixed matters in their favour.

• Like 1

An unattributed speculative post bring the Royal Family into the topic has been removed.

By law, the Thai Royal Family are above politics. Speculation, comments and discussion of either a political or personal nature are not allowed when discussing HM The King or the Royal family.

On 9/6/2021 at 6:21 AM, GinBoy2 said:

Unfortunately my fully vaccinated (Pfizer) wife just became one of those breakthrough statistics.

Went down with covid pneumonia pretty bad, but as the Doc said being vaccinated it'll be fine just gotta tough it out. 

Well she's well on the mend now, of course I, also fully vaccinated have also have tested positive but without any symptoms.

Now which one of us got it first and passed it to the other, just can't tell

Sorry to hear about your wife.

My wife is so darned important as she takes care of the two children.

Thanks for the post and take care.

17 hours ago, pomchop said:

all the more reason to be vaccinated so if u do get it you are much much less likely to end up in the hospital or dead...it's not rocket science...vaccines are the best option we have to keep people from clogging the hospitals, exhausting the staff, depriving other needy people from the non covid care they may need, screwing up the economy for millions, screwing up return to in person schooling....all because they read some obscure internet site that claims to know more than the doctors and scientist who have spent decades studying vaccines and diseases...

my local hospital in usa has 785 people with covid...685 are unvaccinated and every icu bed is occupied by an unvaccinated person..........that should tell anyone with a brain that your odds against covid are exponentially better if you take ten minutes to get a shot...

a man showed up at the hospital with a heart attack yesterday but all the beds were full so they tried to treat him in the ambulance...he died as ambulance did not have same equipment as ICU....maybe he would of died anyway but the anti vaxxers took his chance away with their selfish BS refusal to protect themselves and others with the best means we have available which is vaccinations.

We are all going to get covid in the future.  Just a matter of time.  Could be in the next few months, or could be in the next few years, but we are all going to get it.

Vaccinated people have a better chance of not getting so sick, and surviving, thus, not using up medical resources, and putting a strain on hospitals.  

• Like 2

18 hours ago, pomchop said:

all the more reason to be vaccinated so if u do get it you are much much less likely to end up in the hospital or dead...it's not rocket science...vaccines are the best option we have to keep people from clogging the hospitals, exhausting the staff, depriving other needy people from the non covid care they may need, screwing up the economy for millions, screwing up return to in person schooling....all because they read some obscure internet site that claims to know more than the doctors and scientist who have spent decades studying vaccines and diseases...

my local hospital in usa has 785 people with covid...685 are unvaccinated and every icu bed is occupied by an unvaccinated person..........that should tell anyone with a brain that your odds against covid are exponentially better if you take ten minutes to get a shot...

a man showed up at the hospital with a heart attack yesterday but all the beds were full so they tried to treat him in the ambulance...he died as ambulance did not have same equipment as ICU....maybe he would of died anyway but the anti vaxxers took his chance away with their selfish BS refusal to protect themselves and others with the best means we have available which is vaccinations.

best post in this thread so far and most accurate

• Like 1

19 hours ago, pomchop said:

How about not treating any unvaxed for covid in a hospital.....I am sure the unvaxed would be delighted to agree with this if they would be left alone....

But it would be the vaxed who would not agree to this, because the vaxed cant seem to let the unvaxed be....

• Thanks 1