Advise for first time building a new house. What mistakes did you make, what would you (NOT) do again.

martijn12345

45 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Not a good idea in areas that might flood. My wife's aunt had a tide mark on her walls over my head. That's not saying to put outlets over head height, but hopefully normal floods will not be too high.

I am assuming the OP is smart enough to know about floods and getting a house above the 100 year flood mark.

From his writing, a safe assumption.

If putting outlets at a ridiculous height is for floods, then anyone building such a house is, quite bluntly, an ignoramus.

• Like 1

"have a experienced  independent  overseer as the project progresses"  Make sure he is from out of the area and has no connection with your contractor.  Your wife's BIL probably won't do.

Ventilate the attic space well.  15 cm fiberglass insulation on the ceiling is a minimum.

Double brick walls a must.  We used "Q-con-type" for the outside, red brick inside.  All of the electrical wiring can be run in conduits in the empty space.  If the builder needs to cut groves in the walls for running conduit have this done and completed before the walls are rendered.

Do not allow any water lines to be buried into concrete for obvious reasons.  Ensure that there is an accesible crawl space under the bathrooms and kitchen for use in future repairs.

Do slump tests on the cement being used for structural supports (post and beams).  Watch the mad scramble to get more bags of cement the first time you do this.  Measure the size of the rebar as undersized saves the contractor money.

Use a proper septic system rather than the common cesspit.  It's fine to run the grey effluent into the same tank as the black effluent.  Build the tanks from concrete rings and place a pre-cast bottom rather than slopping is some cement to seal the tanks.  Good idea to do a simple percolation test on your leach field especially if you are building on a former rice field.

Many other good points being made by posters in this thread.  Pay close attention to the details and the big things will fall into place easily.

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Given that I did not have AC in the living room, and I had all the windows open, safety glass isn't going to stop an opportunist burgular entering while I'm in the bathroom, or kitchen. I'll go with bars, thanks.

We leave our screened windows open in every room, including bedroom, 24 hours a day. Our window bars could easily be defeated but it would make so much noise that it would surely wake us. And during the day if we weren't home it would attract neighbors attention if someone tried entering through a window.

A previous poster suggested CCTV as his solution but that is maybe only helpful after a crime has been committed and is unlikely to stop a yaabaa addict from entering a home via a window without bars.

And theft is a secondary concern for wives if a drug crazed guy gets into the house during the night especially if she is alone. Odds of getting trapped by window bars during a fire are very slim, having a guy on drugs coming in uninvited is far more common.

1 hour ago, KeeTua said:

We leave our screened windows open in every room, including bedroom, 24 hours a day

I leave all screened windows in the living areas open 24/7, also when house is unoccupied. 

I'm thinking of changing out the brown windows to upvc but am hesitating due to poor security window screens. 

I won't fit the ugly bars to the upvc if I install 

On 9/5/2021 at 3:17 PM, Simple Jack said:

Use a contractor that provides a 10 year warranty.  More expensive. But the job is done right.

And you don't have to worry about Tom,Dick & jack of all trades. Nicking everything thats left over.

yes ill second that warranty..we had a house built less than 2 years ago now things starting to go wrong I've got more chance of flying than getting them back to repair anything i made a big mistake don't do the same pay more sleep sound   good luck

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, fredge45 said:

Do not allow any water lines to be buried into concrete for obvious reasons.  Ensure that there is an accesible crawl space under the bathrooms and kitchen for use in future repairs.

Do slump tests on the cement being used for structural supports (post and beams).  Watch the mad scramble to get more bags of cement the first time you do this.  Measure the size of the rebar as undersized saves the contractor money.

Use a proper septic system rather than the common cesspit.  It's fine to run the grey effluent into the same tank as the black effluent.

P1) if you use PP-R pipe and correctly do the joints, pressure test before acceptance, pipes in hollow walls are no problem

2) yes to slump test, but buy from Cpac RMC they can do the test at no cost and since they do the test refusing a load is easy.

3) yes to septic system, absolutely no to grey water into the black septic as the water flow will be too fast for the septic to function as it should unless you grossly oversize the septic tank

<deleted>, I was  going to add my two bobs worth,,  but all the posters   beat me to it, they covered everything I was going to say...   Good  luck, dont get grey hair.... Just dont build  near    the relatives, or on  mum and pops land.

1 hour ago, KeeTua said:

Our window bars could easily be defeated but it would make so much noise that it would surely wake us.

The vast majority of window bars are screwed on from the outside and, if actually fitted so they can’t be unscrewed, are quite thin mild steel that bolt cutters go through like butter, so little noise.

Any one who really wants to get in probably can with little, to no, problem. 

They are mostly security theatre that will certainly stop the casual thief who only nicks stuff that can be grabbed with little effort, but not much more.

A couple of my personal tools would take about a 1 to 5 minutes to cut off a well secured security screen as my bolt cutters are on the small side. Much faster if noise wasn’t a concern.

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

The vast majority of window bars are screwed on from the outside and, if actually fitted so they can’t be unscrewed, are quite thin mild steel that bolt cutters go through like butter, so little noise.

Any one who really wants to get in probably can with little, to no, problem.

I agree with what you say with the exception of the part about "little noise" I think there would be more than enough noise to wake us up if someone tried coming in at night through our typical cheap window bars but then we have a small home. On a larger home if using the same bars it would definitely be possible to get in without waking people up, so use a beefier set up where needed.

I don't think window bars should be too quickly dismissed. I think at least a couple of posters mentioned their wives wanted window bars and for good reason. Like any security a layered approach is needed. Our first layer is a couple of dogs.

I had a house built in 2012 by a good reputable builder. Due to work I was not there most of the time. Some of the 'problems' stated in previous posts occured, but basically it is good. The headline asks 'What would I not do again?' 

I would not build another as this is my home until I see St Peter.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KeeTua said:

We leave our screened windows open in every room, including bedroom, 24 hours a day. Our window bars could easily be defeated but it would make so much noise that it would surely wake us. And during the day if we weren't home it would attract neighbors attention if someone tried entering through a window.

A previous poster suggested CCTV as his solution but that is maybe only helpful after a crime has been committed and is unlikely to stop a yaabaa addict from entering a home via a window without bars.

And theft is a secondary concern for wives if a drug crazed guy gets into the house during the night especially if she is alone. Odds of getting trapped by window bars during a fire are very slim, having a guy on drugs coming in uninvited is far more common.

This pretty much is the way we see it. CCTV is great, but all that leaves you with is evidence of a break-in, might persuade someone to pick another house, might not. Feeling of safety, knowing you will some day leave a window open. As many have mentioned, any house can be broken in to if specifically targeted. If the whole street has bars in front of the windows, but our house does not.... Its very likely it increases the odds of our house being picked.  Next to this I will look into actual alarm on windows and doors. And I will surely install a few motion triggered lights in the yard.

4 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Mine is next to two sisters and two brothers on land GFs Mum gave to her before she passed on. 

I have no problems whatsoever, and get help with the garden and repairs when needed.

I hate gardening and the in-laws love it so crack on is what i say. ???? 

• Haha 1

As regards to planting trees for shade - absolutely do NOT plant palm trees within 10 mtrs of your house !!  I just spent 10,000 baht and the hire of a 5t kubota to get rid the massive root spread that was going under the foundations , into the concrete and strangling the septic on the house I bought to renovate !!   The're useless anyway - all the palms at the top get in your gutters and drop off to make a mess !   

• Like 1

It was a mess with the contractor buying the materials.

I needed to be there everyday and hands on.

I've spent the same amount fixing things as the original house cost.

Anyway it's built and its beautiful.

Only problem is its in Issan

Next house will be in Hua Hin.

• Haha 1

Anyone know if the window security rollers are available here like they fit in Spain/France .  Other than that maybe the security bars / grills could be nicely patterned ones , multi folding type on the inside so a) no problem in escape if a fire b) removes the unsightly look from outside and not a permanent fixed visible feature c) can easily be opened/closed by occupier from inside d)  less maintenance inside  e) easier to clean windows   

1 hour ago, Jen65 said:

As regards to planting trees for shade - absolutely do NOT plant palm trees within 10 mtrs of your house !!  I just spent 10,000 baht and the hire of a 5t kubota to get rid the massive root spread that was going under the foundations , into the concrete and strangling the septic on the house I bought to renovate !!   The're useless anyway - all the palms at the top get in your gutters and drop off to make a mess !   

Interesting.

I've planted palm trees around the perimeter of the property.

I'm glad there not to close to the house After what you've mentioned. 

They sure set of the backyard pool area!

Edited by MrJ2U

22 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

Interesting.

I've planted palm trees around the perimeter of the property.

I'm glad there not to close to the house After what you've mentioned. 

They sure set of the backyard pool area!

one can't dig the stump or roots out - they are really hard !!  I couldn't believe how far the roots had spread - under boundary walls and into the neighbours !   I never want to see another palm tree within ten barge pole lengths of my property .      

• Haha 1

On 9/7/2021 at 8:20 PM, Jen65 said:

So I have 4  palms to dig up.  They were planted about 1.5 years ago.  1m from the garage and 3m from the house.  I like the looks but don't need the problems.

• Like 1

These points are based on recent developments in building and in the world, as well as points particular to Thailand:

1. Budget for the best quality mosquito screens in every room, not the type that break easily

2. If the budget allows go for double glazing. Yes, even in Thailand it makes sense, not just that it keeps the house cooler, it also keeps out noise pollution which in Thailand can be the most horrific problem of all. There are UPVC and aluminium options. I prefer UPVC but that's just my aesthetic preference.

3. Include a pantry room of ample size next to the kitchen. With global supply issues it is clear that having supplies is no longer mad.

4. Go for the long slit drains in the shower, not the big round ones you step on

5. Electric shutters are much better than electric blinds. They ensure total darkness in a room, so ideal for cinema rooms or where TV is watched a lot, but I would use them everywhere. Reason is they are excellent security, not just from burglars, but also weather, bugs etc.

6. Go for a tried and tested layout where all rooms have a defined character. Living in an American style open-plan layout is like hell, unless you enjoy hearing the gf making her crushed ice smoothies or enjoy smelling cooking in the lounge.

7. A pool is really a must in my view in Thailand, and if you do go for one put it at the back of the house, not at the front next to the car park, it's a bad vibe. You do not need to dig deep, you can have an elevated pool.

8. Trust your Thai provider of built-in wooden furniture, they are excellent and you can never have enough storage.

9. Do not trust your Thai electrician. They will never, ever get the location of light switches right. Make sure you triple check all locations of light switches.

10. Place extra emphasis on details, for instance, the positioning of the air conditioning units. If you can use the flat ceiling units use them, at least in the lounge and bedroom. Where you have to put normal units consider placement carefully, nobody likes a sideways blow blast from an aircon unit. Also consider if you can put one in the kitchen.

11. Insist on hot water in the kitchen being a possibility.

12. Place the walk-in closet next to the bathroom in the main master suite.

13. Include a large and pleasant laundry room, and a separate utility room if budget allows

14. Put in back up power for your home. This can be a cheap option or it can be more expensive. But it's worthwhile to have in a country where electricity is guaranteed to fail at some times.

15. Consider planning in solar power.

16. There have been great changes in LED lighting technology so you can now inexpensively have rooms kitted out in mood lighting that changes at the switch of a button. Not a must, but nice to have and not expensive.

17. Have an electric gate to your parking. Nothing more annoying than having to get out each time you want to drive in.

• Like 2

Also don't forget these rules.  

The front of the house must not face where the sun goes down, west.  Very unlucky.  Bad things will happen to you.

The Buddha is best faced where the sun rises, east.  Definitely not to the west, sundown.

Your bed should not be placed so that your head is to the west, sundown.

Basically the above rules are:  east:  very good  west:  very bad

A bathroom should not be next to the Buddha room or Living or Dining rooms.  You don't want Buddha or others to hear your nasty noises.

With those in mind here is the working plan for the house we are going to build.  I've already redone it about 6 times.  Still not 100% happy. House faces north.  Each square is 1 square meter.

a house plan.jpg

Edited by rwill
  • Like 2

One more thing, just invest in a big nice well planned kitchen outside. It doesnt matter how nice indoor kitchen you have, they want to cook outside and trust me, you will be happy they do. And include space for a nice bbq or smoker. 

Edited by Hummin
  • Like 1

Another vital consideration, particularly if installing security shutters / grills is to consider your escape routes in the event of fire!

Too many people die from smoke etc. coz they cannot get out due to the system intended to stop the bad guys getting in.

• Like 2