Advise for first time building a new house. What mistakes did you make, what would you (NOT) do again.

martijn12345

Hi all, long time reader, not much of a poster. I've been in Thailand for over 10 years, always rented. And the last few years had the good fortune to get accommodation provided by my wife's employer. However, with a 2nd kid on the way, its time to build a house. I've never build before, I have never had to deal with anything like it, I have 0 knowledge, my wife has some from previously helping her parents build.

We already have a piece of land, we have contacted 3, hopefully reliable companies in the area (Chiangrai) to get something designed and quoted. 1 fell through in the process, the other 2, I feel did a good job, listened to our demands and wishes and answered our questions. Both work with real contracts, have a lot of good reviews, and the one we will most likely work with, my wife personally knows several people who had their house build by them and who are fairly content. They gave a few good suggestions of things that would turn out to be much cheaper to get done afterwards with a local handyman rather than this building company. either way. We are sort of good to go, I guess... Now driving around town, looking at tiles, windows and doors. I have 2 left hands, I can barely change I lightbulb, I am not going to do anything much myself. And frankly me and my wife are both better off working and hiring other to do the work.

What I am looking for is experience from others, what mistakes have you made, what would you have done differently in hindsight, what should we really not overlook. Any input is very welcome! Thanks all in advance.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

We have had built 3 houses in Thailand over the years we have lived here. 

These are my tips.

1.  Double brick all the walls, especially the exterior ones.   This provides great insulation, sound proofing, and hides unsightly support columns.  

2.  Have high ceilings with high windows to let the heat rise and leave the house.

3.  Get good installation in the roof to keep the heat from the baking sun out.

4.  Big tall windows and doors for air flow. 

5.  Have the house positioned so no rooms are going to get the strong sun shining into them from midday and afternoon. 

6.  Use the thick grade aluminium for the window frames so they don't warp, get damaged..etc...

Thanks very useful. 1 and 5 we have designed the house so that rooms used in the daytime are kind of shielded from the strong sun from west/south side. Also on these sides the outside walls are double indeed. North and east are single, as they get less heat. 

ceiling high discussed so far is 280 cm. They told the real hight will be 3. then 20 above the ceiling is used for cables, aircon ducts and so on. Recon this is okay, or advice to push it to 300 cm?

3 and 6. I will ask in more detail what they plan to use for this and if it will do

Thanks!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Simple Jack said:

Use a contractor that provides a 10 year warranty.  More expensive. But the job is done right.

And you don't have to worry about Tom,Dick & jack of all trades. Nicking everything thats left over.

I think we get 5 years. Is 10 years something we could/should ask for, or it just depends on the company, what they offer?

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Work out how many electrical sockets you think you need and double the number.

Get a circuit breaker box with an RCD in it.

Don't use those shiny floor tiles- they look pretty but are lethal when wet.

IMO keep the roof simple. All those fancy additions just make for potential problems. My in laws had a roof with a gutter that trapped debris from the trees, but it couldn't be reached from a ladder and the roof was too fragile to walk on, so we had water coming into the kitchen when it rained.

They also omitted to put an access into the garage ceiling which was a problem when the roof leaked.

Add window security as part of the build.

Very good advise, thank you. I have yet to work out how many sockets I need. Sort of a next step thing now that we got the 2d/3d design 95% where we want it to be. Roof will be simple I'd say.

Shiny tiles in the living room, not slippery tiles in bathroom and kitchen. 2nd floor undecided for now, probably not shiny tiles or parket. Shiny tiles are easy to clean, but indeed slippery when wet.

Window security, as much as I hate them, will be there prison bars in front of the windows. My wife really wants them, and I have no better solution.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Do all the ground work first with dikes and drainage first of all. If you are not storing the rainwater from the roof make a plan before building. 

Uhm... got 0 idea about this. I was thinking to maybe in the future, get a gutter installed at 1 place, and use that to collect rainwater to use for the plants. I think we gonna raise the land 50 cm, but thats all... I think. Am I missing something hugely important?

3 hours ago, martijn12345 said:

What I am looking for is experience from others, what mistakes have you made, what would you have done differently in hindsight, what should we really not overlook. Any input is very welcome! Thanks all in advance.

There is a non-commercial website devoted to building cool Thai houses. Many people have posted their building stories including problems. The last 3 words of the first sentence will help you find it.

Yea drains are a big thing. Eg. If you will tile outside? Having a master drain for aircon waste is a great idea. Slipped on that stuff once and broke my foot. Was not fun.  Also any wires to be set in concrete? Double the gage of tube so you can snake in a replacement without digging up half the house ????

Plan well for evrything. Best of luck mate.

• Like 2

Employ Expereienced & Qualified Competitive Thai Architect for Standard House Design Mods. (Land Office Plans), Conduct Build & Manage Build to Completion. Architect & Client approves Final Design, Specs.,Cost & Schedule. Architect selects & manages Builder and sub-trades. Inspects Materials & Design/ Build Spec. Compliance under Payment Schedule. No Scope Errors. No Delivery Delay. No Extra Costs / Claims.

unsupervised thai Builders cannot be trusted or controlled by amateurs. strong tendency for cutting corners for more profit if (recommended) fixed price lump sum. can walk off the job, leaving you out of pocket and finding replacement builder, who may also walk. yes, this happened to me, twice, on very small works; a house would be a potential nightmare if not thai architect- supervised.

alternatively you can believe the expert expats here who will tell you its no problem & architect not needed (extra cost…. seriously).

My experience based on Off Plan Town House in Complex without Architect just cost- cutting Builder on Developer Lump Sum and Incomplete Unsupervised Build. I was Out of Country & relied on Developer / Builder / Resident Owners. Two Years after Completion to fix to proper std.…..at Developer Cost. Completely Missed Obvious Under House Apartment …..until Owner Suggestion.

My Thai Lady = Architect. She has managed further minor works over the years with local builders after we were ripped off twice in our absence, each by a series of local builders under trusted but poor foreigner supervision, for small roof & apartment extention projects..

3 hours ago, Simple Jack said:

Use a contractor that provides a 10 year warranty.  More expensive. But the job is done right.

And you don't have to worry about Tom,Dick & jack of all trades. Nicking everything thats left over.

Sorry, pushed the wrong tab..  I dont know of any residential builders in Thailand that offer a 10 year guarantee.  

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

The only thing I regret (not really) is allowing the wife to talk me out of putting in a cavity wall, although I sorted that out later by creating external shade cloth coverings 90% UV which take the sun off of the walls effected on one side.

Cavity walls are almost always best.

1. OK
  2. OK
  3. OK
  4. Maybe 
  5. Maybe
  6. Too little, we have 3,000mm +
  7. OK 
  8. OK
  9. Maybe, we don’t 
  10. No difference in maintenance 
  11. In some places good, in others no
  12. Use LowE glass
  13. OK
  14. OK
  15. Other locations can work well
  16. Storage tanks, good. Good pump, good. Pump from the street illegal and dangerous. Only ever pump from your own tank
  17. Not needed if you have laminated glass, and no monkey bars are even better 
  18. Good quality toilets and good soft close are better
  19. Good
  20. Good point
  21. White is always coolest 
  • Thanks 2

If you live more than 1000k away from the build site try to anticipate that a random pandemic may start just weeks after the build begins and close down all travel. 

Oversite by phone doesn't work well, and the builder will have trouble with materials supply and availability of skilled workers..

Edited by Old Croc

21 hours ago, Thaifish said:

S bends in floor drains to stop odors. Something so simple to put in while building!

Three core electrical wiring and properly earthed from start to finish.

Roof design with massive air flow.

Rat proof roof especially in the country.

If using a water pump keep the delivery pipe diameter large and step down in size at the last moment to increase the water flow.

3mt verandah, concrete, all around the house to keep the sun off and doubles as a car port. Also keeps the mud down walking into the house.

Some say high ceiling....I say low with insulation Batts and Air Con. Many windows and sliding doors with fly screens to vent vent vent.

Good luck...

Yes large 3 m veranda.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Work out how many electrical sockets you think you need and double the number.

Get a circuit breaker box with an RCD in it.

IMO keep the roof simple. All those fancy additions just make for potential problems. My in laws had a roof with a gutter that trapped debris from the trees, but it couldn't be reached from a ladder and the roof was too fragile to walk on, so we had water coming into the kitchen when it rained.

They also omitted to put an access into the garage ceiling which was a problem when the roof leaked.

Add window security as part of the build.

Also about floor tiles (30cm square): be aware that tiles with an indented pattern attract the dirt that is a real hassle to remove and is hard hands and knees work. I know, I have spent 16 hours - twice - getting them (the indented parts) clean in our kitchen.

• Like 1