Leaky Heart Valve

NewGuy

I know a 51 year old Thai female who received a diagnosis which might involve one or more (I don’t know) heart valve problems, symptoms include general tiredness, almost panting while walking, lack of ability to exercise strenuously. Her significant other, 72 year old western male, exhibits the same symptoms. Apparently she recently received a quote of 1,000,000 baht for her to get a Bangkok Pattaya Hospital operation. Don’t have any details. There are financial issues.

Can I get recommendations for a skilled, affordable diagnostician / surgeon, probably at a public hospital, in Pattaya or Bangkok?

Thanks.

If she is Thai and worried about cost why would she be using a private hospital?  Even if have to return to area of house registration hospital.  If that is not an option paying at a government hospital would be much, much less than using private facilities and doctors likely to be much better than a cheap private hospital.  

I had major (8 hour) operation for cancer few years ago costing a bit over 1 million at high level private hospital - same would have cost less than 100k at good government hospital - but wait would have been required.

2 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

If she is Thai and worried about cost why would she be using a private hospital?  Even if have to return to area of house registration hospital.  If that is not an option paying at a government hospital would be much, much less than using private facilities and doctors likely to be much better than a cheap private hospital.  

I had major (8 hour) operation for cancer few years ago costing a bit over 1 million at high level private hospital - same would have cost less than 100k at good government hospital - but wait would have been required.

As above. She can get this done for free (or minimal charge) at a government hospital. She needs to start with the hospital where she is registered under the 30 baht scheme and they will refer her onward as needed.

It is possible she is registered upcountry. In that case either change registration, or go back home for this. To change, she needs to get listed in a tabian ban somewhere in Chonburi Province.

If (as is likely) where she is registered upcountry is other than a regional level hospital they will have to refer her elsewhere anyhow and she could try first going there (bring records from BPH including a letter stating what surgery is needed and why) explaining that she lives in Pattaya and ask for a referral to either Chonburi regional Hospital or a government hospital in Bangkok, might be able to avert the need to change registration that way. But if they insist they can only refer to a place upcountry then her choices are change registration or have the surgery done up there.

By the way he can also get care at Chonburi Hospital (large government hospital in Chonburi town), he'll have to pay full fee but it will be about 1/5 what it would be at BPH.  He does not necessarily need heart valve surgery, these symptoms are common to a host of heart and lung problems and will need diagnostic work up first to find the cause. In some cases it is congestive heart failure and treated conservatively with medication.