Thai Govt hopes tourism can be revived as COVID subsides

snoop1130

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

They are banking OCT delivery, just hope that it comes through for then, gotta keep fingers crossed otherwise we're stuck with Sinovac for longer

When they signed the contract with Pfizer. Pfizer said by end of 2021 which makes sense since the contract was signed in July .Unless Thai officials convinced Pfizer to ship earlier.  . https://thainews.prd.go.th/en/news/detail/TCATG210821130938639    BP says by year end but this site will not let me post anything from BP. Both links do not mention October 

• Like 1

Don't they look at other countries in Thailand? Look what happened in Europe in the summer. Everything turned into a red zone in no-time. They maintained it to orange so people still could travel, but it was deep red. Do the Thai think they are a different country with different people and results the moment they open up the country?  WAKE UP !  You will get the same rise in cases as in the rest of the world. Especially when keep on using sinovac. Any idea why China locks down everything when they discover only ONE case?  And Thailand wants to open?  Good luck with that dream !  It will become a nightmare!

Edited by ThailandGuy
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, joecoolfrog said:

So I should hope to get back to Thailand around about next May , pretty much what I had figured.

forget it. 70-80% will not get rid of quarantines. It is a utopia, a dream that will not come true. Look what happened in Europe in july, august. One big red zone. And given the fact that Thailand is using Sinovac they are betting on the wrong horse.

Isn't it amazing how a third-world inept regime can overcome the Covid-19 pandemic far better than any other country?

"various government measures recently launched are expected to turn around the situation, as flights resume and a more effective vaccination rollout is being implemented."

"Unfortunately, rising numbers of Covid-19 infection in Thailand and the rest of the world have put the scheme through a difficult phase".

And the NNT or 'Asean Now' reporting needs questioning! Their reports often seem politically motivated anti-government 'posts'! I find it hard to believe that any poorly educated Thai Minister can come out with some of the statements published on this site -- either they are misinterpreted or misconstrued and fabricated.

10 hours ago, Soikhaonoiken said:

Think I read some where, that if a Country is on a Red list (ie )  that your insurance becomes  void,  so a fat lot of good TAT insisting that travellers need a minimum of $100,000 cover for CoVid cover.... 

That's certainly true for UK because one is travelling against the advice of the Foreign Office and insurance companies usually have a clause about that.

13 hours ago, tsigane said:

I spent last winter in Colombia and loved it.  Far superior compared to Thailand in terms of quality of services per dollar spent.  Virtually no Covid restrictions.  Going back to Colombia this winter again, regardless whether Thailand "opens" or not. 

What about the "fat bellied, big titties" brigade? ???? Are they going to score with the beautiful Colombian girls even if they want to pay well for it? I don't think so.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Stanaris said:

Simple way of getting more tourists.  Open Thailand to all double vaccinated visitors who are willing to come here.  NO Quarantine and No tests, just come and enjoy a relaxing holiday. Allowing alcohol sales and consumption would be good too.

"NO Quarantine and No tests," If that happened, the unelected PM and his generals personal income will decrease, we can't have that now, can we?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, kevin612 said:

70-80% percent of vaccination rates will get rid of quarantine.

Will it? If it did, the unelected PM will find something to take it's place, some sort of expensive medical on  arrival at the airport perhaps?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Government agencies have since issued strong measures

Really? What measures are these?

It seems the tourist industries problems haven't. even begun.

the industry can't just switch back on again; without financial aid the tourism industry will collapse and years of unemployment and derelict buildings will follow - only the big will survive.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, ThailandGuy said:

forget it. 70-80% will not get rid of quarantines. It is a utopia, a dream that will not come true. Look what happened in Europe in july, august. One big red zone. And given the fact that Thailand is using Sinovac they are betting on the wrong horse.

You may be right , difficult to know how the current regime will swing.

However in the real world , governments are learning to live with Covid , and if 70-80% of ones citizens are suitably vaccinated ,then infections are far less troublesome.

The fact is that Thailand's economy cannot continue to take a huge hit indefinitely , and tourism is a major component of their GDP.

Visitors will not return in adequate numbers unless the current restrictions are lifted , so quarantine will go eventually.

As a betting man I would wager my ' around May ' is a far better guess than your ' never '.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

"NO Quarantine and No tests," If that happened, the unelected PM and his generals personal income will decrease, we can't have that now, can we?

That is their mentality certainly but eventually they will face reality; More restrictions = less visitors.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, SmartyMarty said:

While Medellin is a very beautiful city, with climate similar to northern Thailand, you will find that, in general, Colombian women are not up to the same level of 'beauty' as Thai ladies. The cost of living is a bit higher than Thailand but I've found that the bureaucracy is just as bad, if not worse than LOS.

I concur w.r.t. women. I found the climate in Colombia often much more pleasant than in most places in Thailand. "Tropical climate of altitude" it's called, lovely.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, chilli42 said:

Before any of this is going to work Thailand has to get over the delusion that people are desperate for a holiday in Thailand.  They have made everything absurdly difficult and nobody is going to subject themselves to these inconveniences on a holiday.  Time they got a dose of reality and figure out how to make it as easy as possible to enjoy a holiday in Thailand

Exactly this. I have a few friends who used to spend a load money holidaying in Thailand. With nightlife effectively banned and the government obsessing over alcohol, they're not going to be clicking the 'Book Now' button for a long time yet. It's worth jumping through some hoops for a proper holiday, but not for what's on offer in LOS at the moment. 

On 9/7/2021 at 3:21 PM, AnotherFarang8 said:

I began to learn Spanish today, will go check Colombia. Most beautiful girls are in Medellin. No vaccination required, no pcr tests, no nothing invasive. The old normal just the way i like it. F these new “normal” dictators! There are still sane countries in the world.

Just a bulletproof vest !!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, pops1 said:

Love Perth. Lived there in 97-98 I miss Fremantle and that awesome coast road on my Honda superdream 250cc

Hate the place. Got dragged out there in the 60's, hated it from the second I got off the plane, got out as soon as I saved enough money

On 9/8/2021 at 7:36 AM, possum1931 said:

What about the "fat bellied, big titties" brigade? ???? Are they going to score with the beautiful Colombian girls even if they want to pay well for it? I don't think so.

If they're "working girls"........ same, same but different ????

• Haha 1

On 9/7/2021 at 3:42 PM, Will B Good said:

Any tourism to Thailand will be highly dependent on whether or not Thailand is red, amber or green listed by the tourist's country of origin.

UK has Thailand red listed, so there will be very few, if any, 'real' tourists from there regardless of what TAT dream up..

The UK is too politically ignorant to allow tourists to Thailand now. 

When there was very few cases or no cases in Thailand last year. At which time I returned to the UK from Thailand. When Covid was still rampant in the UK. I still had to self isolate at home for 2 weeks on my return.

The politics in the UK are worse than Thailand. The Government says it gets things done, but the people of the UK "Get Done! Get Done! Get Done!"

1 minute ago, William C F Pierce said:

The UK is too politically ignorant to allow tourists to Thailand now. 

When there was very few cases or no cases in Thailand last year. At which time I returned to the UK from Thailand. When Covid was still rampant in the UK. I still had to self isolate at home for 2 weeks on my return.

The politics in the UK are worse than Thailand. The Government says it gets things done, but the people of the UK "Get Done! Get Done! Get Done!"

100%

Your slogan has too many words though.

UK electorate can only handle three word slogans.

Mine for Boris is..........Go **** yourself