Thai Govt hopes tourism can be revived as COVID subsides

snoop1130

I dont know about you but I am very worried about the people that have the two jabs are giving other people the virus so you people who think you are free now forget it keep that mask on, and this has now turned into a year round thing now not just a cold weather thing, and the Chinese leader is talking war so where is Thailand going to stand in that?

4 hours ago, EricTh said:

You can't compare a full vaccination rate of 80% (Singapore) with 10% (Thailand), can you?

A full vaccination rate of 80% is already called herd immunity and yet the cases are still rising.

Correct, 67% of new cases in Israel are double Pfeizer vaccines. Their MACHIN, just doesn't work !

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, tsigane said:

I spent last winter in Colombia and loved it.  Far superior compared to Thailand in terms of quality of services per dollar spent.  Virtually no Covid restrictions.  Going back to Colombia this winter again, regardless whether Thailand "opens" or not. 

So you go to Columbia because it is "Far superior compared to Thailand". I am just wondering why you still post in a forum meant for Thailand then. Perhaps because Columbia doesn't have good online forums? Just kidding... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

They hope??

I hope that my Thai citizen application will be approved.

I stated, that I only will accept thai citizenship if I get a guaranteed job at the police or Immigration and no rank lower than Colonel.

Soon you can call me : LamborghiniRaf

5 minutes ago, chilli42 said:

Before any of this is going to work Thailand has to get over the delusion that people are desperate for a holiday in Thailand.  They have made everything absurdly difficult and nobody is going to subject themselves to these inconveniences on a holiday.  Time they got a dose of reality and figure out how to make it as easy as possible to enjoy a holiday in Thailand

Is this a problem of Thailand or a problem of unrealistic holiday makers? I think you have to be extremely naive to expect a "normal" holiday experience in almost any country of the world during Covid times. Such people should better stay at home. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, johnarth said:

I dont know about you but I am very worried about the people that have the two jabs are giving other people the virus so you people who think you are free now forget it keep that mask on, and this has now turned into a year round thing now not just a cold weather thing, and the Chinese leader is talking war so where is Thailand going to stand in that?

Go get your jabs...... I can protect myself by getting vaccinated but can't do it for you. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, jaiyen said:

In Victoria Australia they are in lockdown with over 100 cases daily. Thailand wants to open up the country with 14,000 daily cases !!!  Which is the stupid country ? Here in Perth we have zero cases for months. WA is doing it right !

I'm Oz and your post is naive at best.

Australia will aim for 70%+ vaccination and 'live with covid'.

NSW already aiming at that policy path. Reducing restrictions with current positives ~1500+ per day.

BTW Federal gov also a driver in this. Only way forward that's an obvious statement.

Problem for Thailand is that it's at MUCH lower full vaccination levels.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, flyfrog said:

Indeed but Pfizer came after the announcement from Moderna????

The donated Pfizer2.5 mil minus 600,000 for health care workers , I am sure wont last much longer. Thailand really needs this order of 10 or 20 Pfizer to get here by year end. 

1 minute ago, club said:

The donated Pfizer2.5 mil minus 600,000 for health care workers , I am sure wont last much longer. Thailand really needs this order of 10 or 20 Pfizer to get here by year end. 

They are banking OCT delivery, just hope that it comes through for then, gotta keep fingers crossed otherwise we're stuck with Sinovac for longer

Edited by Bkk Brian

4 hours ago, wensiensheng said:

Absolutely. And kids in private schools using the UK curriculum were lucky that school closures coincided with the normal school holidays. Thai kids were meant to be in school for those two whole months!

Trying to keep the school thing linked to the thread topic, there is so much focus on the baht to be raked in from tourists, but I never see a government comments bemoaning the lack of schooling.

I’m beginning to sound like Brewster, but the contradiction in terms of, on the one hand enticing in tourists at almost any cost, whilst on the other hand keeping kids out of school, is just too much to ignore. Both happening at the same time within a small island with a highly vaccinated island. 

Life comes before school. Those kids are safe at home. Lives being destroyed is and should be top priority. 

4 minutes ago, madmen said:

Life comes before school. Those kids are safe at home. Lives being destroyed is and should be top priority. 

He was referring to Phuket where vaccination levels are already at the target point that the whole of Thailand is aiming for.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Stanaris said:

Simple way of getting more tourists.  Open Thailand to all double vaccinated visitors who are willing to come here.  NO Quarantine and No tests, just come and enjoy a relaxing holiday. Allowing alcohol sales and consumption would be good too.

From a UK perspective, the one thing that will be putting people off is rules changes after travelling. This has already happened once with the UK for travelers to Spain. Thailand being harder and more expensive to return from in such circumstances.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Stanaris said:

Simple way of getting more tourists.  Open Thailand to all double vaccinated visitors who are willing to come here.  NO Quarantine and No tests, just come and enjoy a relaxing holiday. Allowing alcohol sales and consumption would be good too.

From a UK perspective, the one thing that will be putting people off is rules changes after travelling. This has already happened once with the UK for travelers to Spain. Thailand being harder and more expensive to return from in such circumstances.

15 hours ago, AnotherFarang8 said:

I began to learn Spanish today, will go check Colombia. Most beautiful girls are in Medellin. No vaccination required, no pcr tests, no nothing invasive. The old normal just the way i like it. F these new “normal” dictators! There are still sane countries in the world.

God luck not getting kidnapped 

1 hour ago, jaiyen said:

In Victoria Australia they are in lockdown with over 100 cases daily. Thailand wants to open up the country with 14,000 daily cases !!!  Which is the stupid country ? Here in Perth we have zero cases for months. WA is doing it right !

Love Perth. Lived there in 97-98 I miss Fremantle and that awesome coast road on my Honda superdream 250cc

16 hours ago, Kadilo said:

They will need to go further and lift some more restrictions if they want  the revival to have maximin effect. 

But with another 3 months before the bulk of the Xmas/NY visitor’s arrive, and the continued reduction in Covid numbers, there is plenty of time for that to happen. 

Doubtful, no matter how much they manipulate the numbers. 

Around Nov or Dec, there will be a bunch of Westerners who start reporting they've caught covid in Thailand... By then many will be months in since their last vaccination, and their antibodies will be waning. A handful will die in Thailand ... Then, foreign media will start to publish doubts about the situation in Thailand and will note the country still lags very far behind in vaccinations AND that is lacks sufficient care facilities to handle sick people. And the cancellations will begin swiftly.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Thailand, you’ll have to open up properly and put an end to ridiculous hoop jumping before people will go en masse. You’re not special no more. 

They never were special; just cheap but they are nowhere near as cheap as they were now !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, johnarth said:

In any war Thailand will stand where it thinks its status quo will be unchanged and with whoever it can make the most money out of !

• Like 1

They are worried about restaurants suffering because of covid so what about bars and entertainment venues. The govt has not done anything to help them and no mention of when they might be able to operate again. Look at Pattaya and the poverty the closure has caused, people cannot afford to go to restaurants  until ALL businesses are allowed to open.

1 minute ago, Midwit said:

Maybe we can open when we get to zero Covid. Either that we can allow people to live their lives. If you fear Covid no one is preventing you from self isolating. When you think I should stay under lock down you can go pound some sand. 

Would 'Mid' be a replacement for 'Half'?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RafPinto said:

They hope??

I hope that my Thai citizen application will be approved.

I stated, that I only will accept thai citizenship if I get a guaranteed job at the police or Immigration and no rank lower than Colonel.

Soon you can call me : LamborghiniRaf

Wold be a real step up to leave behind the vintage Ford Pinto, and step into a supercar. 

• Haha 1

"The government plans to reopen more areas to foreign tourists. According to Mr. Phiphat Ratchakitprakarn, the Minister of Tourism and Sports, nine areas are designated as a tourism pilot program. Four have been reopened – Phuket, Samui, Krabi and Phang-Nga."

Pity the bars haven't been reopened as well!!! Despite the teetotallers objections saying that it will lead to more cases of Covid due to the "mingling", and resulting disregard for "social distancing", that would be a sure fire way  of attracting more visitors. ("Mingling" isn't only a drinker's premise, and similarly "social distancing" is something that is impossible to "police")

How any one can justify the spending of no doubt millions of baht on promoting tourism when one simple sentence will nullify all that expense:- "Of course, due to Covid restrictions, all the bars are closed,  and restaurants are not allowed to serve you alcohol with your meal." 

And if that's not enough to put them off, how's about this one? You can have up to  50 guests at a wedding reception, but you are not allowed to consume any alcohol, and only "take away food" is allowed - oh and you're not allowed to dance!!!

Best of luck TAT!

• Like 1