Anyone making UK style pickled eggs? - Care to share your secrets?

Crossy

For reasons completely unkown to me I suddenly have the urge to eat pickled eggs (no, I'm not pregnant).

Since Madam is gotten a pickling urge (she's not pregnant either) I fancy a go at that pub favourite, pickled eggs.

Ideally consumed with a packet of ready-salted or salt-n-vinegar and a quantity of ale!

Many and varied recipes on the net, so what are you using?

16 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Looks good and simple.

Do you have a source (preferably online) for pickling spice?

I use whole black and white peppercorns, a few cloves, a couple of whole garlic cloves, also a slice or two of ginger if you like the taste.

All easily bought.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, bbudd said:

https://www.eggs.ca/recipes/traditional-pickled-eggs

heres the recipe I use

if you want stronger flavor and faster pickles the insert a toothpick thru the eggs

This does look a decent base. I like using dark vinegar because I like the final contrast between the darker skin of the egg and the white inside. I also like whole chillies boiled on the mix (same as when I make my moody vinegar for pie & mash). Ginger is interesting too. 

The tip posted by someone about a toothpick through the egg to help the pickling liquid better penetrate the egg is interesting. I imagine the cheaper the stick the quicker it works. Smooth nicely finished wood (so also cocktail sticks) won't absorb liquid well. 

A nice thread, Thanks OP. 

• Like 1

@Crossyif you Google Sarsons they have a recipe section for all sorts of stuff, I don't bother with heating the vinegar or adding sugar or the pickling spices, just prep whatever you're pickling bung it in the jar top up with vinegar, add whatever extras ie peppercorns etc, seal, flip upside down to mix the aforementioned bits n pieces, store in a cool dark place and voila, done ????????  ????

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

I use Sarsons brown malt vinegar, we buy it from Siamburi's in a large 5 litre container, only about 600 Baht, l to use whole black & white peppercorns, some dried red & green chillies and that's it. We also use kilner jars, available at Makro, quite cheap. We have also done red cabbage & pickled onions & pickled beetroot.

2020-09-22.jpg

My American Pennsylvania "Dutch" mom used to make pickled eggs with beets. One point was cooking the eggs so they wouldn't be tough when pickling. I can look up the recipe if anybody has an issue with the egg cooking.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, placnx said:

My American Pennsylvania "Dutch" mom used to make pickled eggs with beets. One point was cooking the eggs so they wouldn't be tough when pickling. I can look up the recipe if anybody has an issue with the egg cooking.

It's not so much the cooking of the eggs it's the peeling that is a pain, we use size 0 eggs, they are easy enough to make them hard boiled, when we peel them a lot of white comes away with the shell, not always but too bloomin often. ????

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

It's not so much the cooking of the eggs it's the peeling that is a pain, we use size 0 eggs, they are easy enough to make them hard boiled, when we peel them a lot of white comes away with the shell, not always but too bloomin often. ????

Conventional wisdom is that older eggs are easier to peel when hard boiled.

Thai eggs aren't washed so they keep just fine at room temperature for a significant period (remember a chook will lay up to 20 eggs at one a day before sitting, and those eggs still make chicks so they're not anywhere near "off").

Just cook them on the "Best Before" date for absolute safety.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Conventional wisdom is that older eggs are easier to peel when hard boiled.

Thai eggs aren't washed so they keep just fine at room temperature for a significant period (remember a chook will lay up to 20 eggs at one a day before sitting, and those eggs still make chicks so they're not anywhere near "off").

Just cook them on the "Best Before" date for absolute safety.

I didn't know that, thanks for the tip ????????

• Like 1

The easiest way to peel a hard boiled egg is to tap and break the pointy end of the egg, that allows air inside and releases the egg from the shell, thus making it easier to peel. Crush or crack the remainng unbroken shell and peel. No running water required.

I do this with duck eggs which are much harder to peel, and it works a treat.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

There is only one way IMO to pickle Eggs

That is to use Malt Vinegar

Also throw a few Whole pepper Corns into the Pickling Jar

Leave for a good 3 Months.

I'm certainly up for the simple flavours, not sure I could wait that long ???? 

• Haha 1

If you want deep pickled eggs, slightly hard boil, shell then use a favoured reciepe for pickling, use a toothpick on eggs to allow mixture to drain into the eggs small hole top and bottom should do, when you have brought the pickling  to boild reduce het add eggs and bring back to the boil for 1 minute, cool down then place in jar and seal.

• Like 1

To check egg freshness, take a bowl of water or a large glass fill with water place egg in, if it sinks to the bottom its fresh, flaots midway use right away, if it floats to the top, give it to the dog. They have gut to eat it. You do not cook and eat for yourself or family.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

Easy Peel Eggs

1. Make sure eggs are room temperature

2. Make sure water is boiling

3. Immerse eggs gently into boiling water

4. Boil 7 minutes

5. Remove eggs and put under cool running water for 5-10 minutes

6. Peel and enjoy

I tried every method to end up with eggs that were easy to peel, this is the only one that worked, Biggest mistake is starting to cook the eggs in cold water. And if eggs are put into boiling water direct from fridge they will crack  so take out eggs beforehand.

• Like 1