Transmission oil change?

clivebaxter

1 minute ago, alacrity said:

Not a fan of our local B-quick. Their comments don't tend to be an accurate reflection of the actual diagnostic results. They prey on a potential customers 'lack of knowledge'.

Had similar experiences with 'main dealers' also.

All the same I think, Cockpit told us 4 years ago when getting new tires we needed new shock absorbers, Toyota said we needed expensive parts last year. Never took them up on it.

• Haha 1

On 9/9/2021 at 4:35 PM, transam said:

B-quik use a high-tech battery tester, gives them a paper read out including stored amps/voltage for starting. You do not have to buy a battery from them, but perhaps take notice of their test...????

PS. A battery at 50% usually means it is operating around 12.20 volts, which is probably enough to start your car, but it doesn't have to drop much more to not start the car..

Agreed and low battery voltage will eventually destroy the starter motor.

10 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Agreed and low battery voltage will eventually destroy the starter motor.

I was out in my CVT when it would not start, a very nice Thai bloke stopped and gave me a jump start, then I headed to B-Quik to test the battery, the readout showed voltage was OK but, the starting/cranking voltage showed 8.8 volts, replace battery. Hmmm, so I bought one there, a bigger one, Yuasa, with more amps.

This high-end battery lasted just over one year, how, god knows, as the alternator/charging system was working fine. Went back to test it at B-Quik, it was stuffed. I didn't buy another, I went to a local battery place and bought an Amaron battery, with 2 year written guaranty, yes Amaron give 2 year guaranty on all their batteries..Fingers crossed...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, clivebaxter said:

All the same I think, Cockpit told us 4 years ago when getting new tires we needed new shock absorbers, Toyota said we needed expensive parts last year. Never took them up on it.

The Toyota dealership was always difficult to deal with and found our Isuzu one the same.

Luckily we have a good Cockpit frachizie where we live they check and do exactly what I want.

It doesn't surprise me there are what I would consider as annoying and pushey ones. 

A better Toyota dealership I found Phitsanulok.

Haven't bothered with Isuzu since the first free service, no need to. 

• Haha 1

Just now, transam said:

Up to them, but a waste of money if not a well used CVT...

sorry what is CVT ?

and do you believe some brands telling that oil is lifetime?

it looks as a scam to me, as they certainly prefer that you buy a new gearbox...

4 minutes ago, mavi said:

sorry what is CVT ?

and do you believe some brands telling that oil is lifetime?

it looks as a scam to me, as they certainly prefer that you buy a new gearbox...

CVT is an auto that works differently to a conventional auto, Continuously Variable Transmission. Fluid changes must be taken seriously with CVT..

There are boxes that are sealed, they use their own formulated fluid, think Subaru are one, they are obviously confident about their setup...

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, mavi said:

How often do you change the transmission oil ? some people say every 30000 kms ?!

Usual rule of thumb is look on manufacturers book that comes with the vehicle and shows the service intervals.

The most recommended time by most mechanic would say 75,000 - 80,000 kilos depending on what the vehicle s being used for. 

E.G. if you do a lot of towing or a constantly carry heavy loads 50,000 kilos.