Transmission oil change?

clivebaxter

16 minutes ago, clivebaxter said:

we go to cockpit for oil change yearly, this year they said battery was about dead and tried to sell us an expensive one. Battery shop said it had 50% left!

Well my Cockpit only does what I tell them to do. 

In Thailand we all know there are good main dealers, good Cockpits,  good B.Qik. but for some of them are con artists. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, clivebaxter said:

we go to cockpit for oil change yearly, this year they said battery was about dead and tried to sell us an expensive one. Battery shop said it had 50% left!

go to i.e. eBay and grab your own BT-460 Tester (I learnt of this particular model via Scotty Kilmer) 

BT460 car battery tester analyzer Lead-acid AGM Analyzer Diagnostic Tool AU  cost on eBay for me last year was approx AU$62; although courtesy it's new popularising by Scotty; has it's current 'eBay' price now up beyond AU$80 ATT    - still good value though for what it does ???? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Always take my Vigo to Toyota. At 190,000 km they said it needed a new battery, at 200k a year later, it tested OK!

Years back my Vigo with auto trans battery failed, I phoned Toyota to bring me a battery, it was exactly the same as the old battery with Toyota markings.

It had a 90 day guaranty......????

PS. Just bought an Amaron (Indian) battery for our runaround, the only battery I have come across with a 2 year written guaranty... ????

14 minutes ago, transam said:

Years back my Vigo with auto trans battery failed, I phoned Toyota to bring me a battery, it was exactly the same as the old battery with Toyota markings.

It had a 90 day guaranty......????

PS. Just bought an Amaron (Indian) battery for our runaround, the only battery I have come across with a 2 year written guaranty... ????

I am on my second FB battery, 2 year guarantee. The original Toyota was good for 3 years, first FB another 3 and this one is into it's 4th.

8 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

I am on my second FB battery, 2 year guarantee. The original Toyota was good for 3 years, first FB another 3 and this one is into it's 4th.

FB are pretty good, GS heavy duty I have found the best dry or wet nowt the matter. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, transam said:

B-quik use a high-tech battery tester, gives them a paper read out including stored amps/voltage for starting. You do not have to buy a battery from them, but perhaps take notice of their test...????

PS. A battery at 50% usually means it is operating around 12.20 volts, which is probably enough to start your car, but it doesn't have to drop much more to not start the car..

we got a new one down the road, Panasonic again which seem OK, 1300 baht.

• Haha 1

On 9/9/2021 at 3:52 PM, VocalNeal said:

50,000 kms is alright for an automatic fluid change. Maybe a bit early for a manual gearbox. 

But while the vehicle is on the lift why not? It certainly won't do any harm.

On my old civic I decided to change the transmission fluid. It may have booen 40K kms or so, but a number of years had passed as the car wasn't driven often. Had it done at Bquik. The next day I noticed leaking trans fluid below the car at home. I ended up taking it to another independent dealer who had to change the trans to engine seal as it had leaked from there. I suspect the seal had hardened over time and the new fluid had loosened the seal and caused it to leak. I did read that this can be a problem sometimes, when the trans fluid is not changed at a regular interval. 

• Like 2

The fluid in an auto can go on for a very long time without changing, it works in a closed environment virtually free from contaminates, unless it has an internal problem, 100,000km is no problem as long as fluid temperature is kept in its operating range.

CVT 'auto' is a different kettle of fish because it works very differently, 60,000km is the max , but 30,000km if you drive the ride hard. Just changed our CVT fluid at 35,000km as I don't hang around.

Manual box, will vary, 60/80,000km is probably about right. Your handbook should really be consulted just in case your ride is an exception...???? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, transam said:

The fluid in an auto can go on for a very long time without changing, it works in a closed environment virtually free from contaminates, unless it has an internal problem, 100,000km is no problem as long as fluid temperature is kept in its operating range.

CVT 'auto' is a different kettle of fish because it works very differently, 60,000km is the max , but 30,000km if you drive the ride hard. Just changed our CVT fluid at 35,000km as I don't hang around.

Manual box, will vary, 60/80,000km is probably about right. Your handbook should really be consulted just in case your ride is an exception...???? 

Distance v years though, if low millledge would you need to do it after 9 years?

4 minutes ago, clivebaxter said:

Distance v years though, if low millledge would you need to do it after 9 years?

For sure, bit like shelf life I suppose...First time I pulled an auto apart I was amazed at the clutch mating material, it looked like thin cardboard, replacements were near the same. But auto boxes really are an incredibly strong piece of kit, the GM TH400 3 speed, which was put in big and performance cars didn't need much doing to them to handle a 1000HP for strip use, Jag and Rolls used them back in the day too..

I put around 700hp through my TH400, had a temp gauge in the trans deep sump, never had a heat problem with the setup I had, fluid stayed pink and always smelled like new...????

• Like 2

Just now, clivebaxter said:

Not the way my Mrs drives ???? thanks for the answers al,l will be putting it, in needs other things doing anyway

Yeah no worries just get it done. ????

It's good to get a bit of fun on topics.

It's just my opinion there are so many that take oil changes so serious.

With the oil and syn oil produced today they are so far advanced on lubrication of years ago. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, clivebaxter said:

During time there will be some mixture of in the fluid. If the fluid gets too old this mixture will become more thicker. As it gets thicker it will damage the trany. It sound like sanding more and harder by more older fluid (driving habit could make it worse, getting lower gear by accelerator pedal) 

• Like 1

On 9/9/2021 at 4:35 PM, transam said:

B-quik use a high-tech battery tester, gives them a paper read out including stored amps/voltage for starting. You do not have to buy a battery from them, but perhaps take notice of their test...????

PS. A battery at 50% usually means it is operating around 12.20 volts, which is probably enough to start your car, but it doesn't have to drop much more to not start the car..

Not a fan of our local B-quick. Their comments don't tend to be an accurate reflection of the actual diagnostic results. They prey on a potential customers 'lack of knowledge'.

Had similar experiences with 'main dealers' also.