Thailand’s Deputy Agriculture Minister Thammanat leaves his ministerial position, debate over if he resigned or was fired

snoop1130

11 hours ago, internationalism said:

he was conspiring together with prawit.

their plot was discovered and swiftly torpedoed with 5mln bananas at the office of the very PM, as alleged by an opposition MP and yet to be investigated by the house speaker.

It least 10 MP's, that includes some 5 from the future forward, turned cobras (bite back at their parties)

Back-room shenanigans, the power rift has started.

He was Prawit's man; I think Prayut barely tolerated him but deferred to Prawit out of their long-term journey as generals and then politicians.

Prayut is obviously enboldened after seeing off both the no-confidence vote and the Thammanat plot.

The biggest clue that a split and a plot were in the offing is the fact that neither Prawit and Thammanat were subjected to no-confidence votes. Last time, in February, both were included and Thammanat got the least number of votes.

He is now outside the tent, pi55ing in, as opposed to being inside and in plain view. (John Major analogy).

Incidentally, I don't think he was actually in the cabinet (a mere captain, not a general, don't you know)  but had clear aspirations for a place at that highest table. His power was in the party apparatchik.

Edited by champers

52 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Yep, the strings are cut and now he has the freedom to pursue his next move, interesting times.

As we speak, he's organizing a faux separatist Isaan sovereign movement with Khun Thanathorn as to throw everyone off...

Edited by zzaa09
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Aussieroaming said:

He must have a case of the Long Bay Blues at the moment.

Believe it was actually Parklea followed by immediate deportation but whatever, Australia says ‘Hi pal good to see you rehabilitated and heading back to your home village to help others’

I think his political future will fade as no big parties will take him in. Past fixers like Sonti, Newin and Sutherp felled to the wayside and became forgotten men. Fixers are only relevent when they have powerful men supporting him. Thammanat has none and soon Prawit will cut him off. Karma is a bitch. He fully deserved his misfortune. A bad man bite the dust. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

I think his political future will fade as no big parties will take him in. Past fixers like Sonti, Newin and Sutherp felled to the wayside and became forgotten men. Fixers are only relevent when they have powerful men supporting him. Thammanat has none and soon Prawit will cut him off. Karma is a bitch. He fully deserved his misfortune. A bad man bite the dust. 

What happened to Chalerm? 

• Like 1

Someone said that they had just found out that he had changed his name to cover his past record, i.e. of being convicted and jailed in Australia on heroin charges ????

Australian drug conviction[edit]

Manat Bophlom, now known as Thamanat Prompow, was convicted of conspiring to import heroin to Australia. The ruling was handed down on 31 March 1994 when he was sentenced to six years imprisonment. Manat served four years, then was deported upon his release.[19] BBC Thai reporters traveled to Downing Court in Sydney to view court records. Forbidden to make photocopies, they translated a relevant court document into Thai as proof of the conviction that Thamanat continues to deny.[20][21] Deputy Prime Minister Gen Prawit Wongsuwon asked the Thai people to leave the past in the past, saying the case has already been cleared up and that it was a matter concerning one person that has nothing to do with the nation.[22][23] Thamanat claims he will sue the Sydney Morning Herald for defamation,[24] although he declines to respond to their reporting.[25]

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Thaksin is history, he'll never come back let alone run for the top job.

Not personally, but his acolytes in the Pheu Thai Party are still very active and Thammanat is the main government fixer, who was keeping this coalition in line. 

Thammanat of course used to be Pheu Thai himself, until he jumped ship, and went to the same Police school as Thaksin.

Then there was this from back in June, shortly before all the commotion about Thammanat becoming PM started: https://thainewsroom.com/2021/06/30/thaksin-to-thammanat-dont-spend-money-on-elections/

I'm sure its nothing though. ????

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

I wonder if this will open the door for Thaksin, now that the fixer has jumped ship?

There are rumors he would go to the PTP but that would only show how evil and dirty Thai politics is. I mean the PTP attacked him full out on his drug past and then take him in. That would totally show the dark side and failings of Thai politics.

• Like 2