Are expats being tempted by Thailand?

webfact

2 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

Thailand's Visa Requirements are not difficult, especially for the "Rich" as they have a number of options available to them (Elite/Investment Visas being the 2 obvious ones), they're only difficult for people unable or unwilling  to invest & (rightly or wrongly) these are not the demographic that Thailand is trying to attract.  

You'd be hard put to find as easy or cheap visa requirements in the region, Philippines is probably the only one with it's SRRV (though this involve as jumping through as many if not more hoops), Malaysia has recently doubled it's financial requirements for MM2H, Cambodia has a dodgy business visa that could be clamped down on anytime & I don't think Vietnam has anything... 

On balance if you're able/willing to put the money into Thailand, it's relatively straight forward to live here. 

1.00 usd per day retirement extension. Can't beat that.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, ChipButty said:

They have got that much money they dont care about luxury tax, when you see the amount of BMW's Merc's around where I live, Last week a German guy rented one of my apartments he turned up a brand new Merc 250 coupe, it had Bangkok plates on it and I asked him did he drive here he said no he paid someone to drive it here for him. That Merc would be at least double the price of what it would be back in Berlin,

They do care.

Not much choice.

Extortionate taxes on cars here. 

That's why many Thais are stuck in debt or stuck riding an old Honda with no headlights.

Edited by MrJ2U

3 hours ago, webfact said:

When Brits think about retiring or moving abroad, more often then not, picturesque landscapes of beaches with cloudless skies are cited as features they want.

Yes cloudless skies without the PM 2.5!

Edited by LosLobo

If i was single ,i doubt very much i would retire here ,but as a married man with an adult son ,who is in a highly paid job and who has the mortgage on our lovely detached property ,and i have some savings and a pension ,and a lovely wife,its good for me ,but funnily enough my wife is starting to miss England where we lived for many years ,as do i sometimes ,but we would not go back to live , 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Yet another, very strong, argument against buying/investing here unless you are reasonably wealthy and can take the hit.

Renting is the only way to go if you intend to live here.

Agreed, the huge inventory of property makes resale a fools game. The Xchange has has lost 1% over 5 years, not an issue.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NanaSomchai said:

Anything equalling "beer bar girls" in either of those aforementionned three countries? Portugal, Panama, Spain?

If you know anything and have expertise to share privately please PM me if it's deemed too sensitive for public posting.

Quite expensive, lower quality in general, but more passionate, again in general. Yes, there is plenty of action, but nothing like here. At least before Covid. After? Who knows?

• Like 2