Are expats being tempted by Thailand?

webfact

2 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

Hmm interesting question.

I'd kinda agree with the general assertion that if money is no object Thailand would be well down the list.

I maybe a bit of an outlier in as much as I didn't meet my wife in Thailand, but at our work in Singapore, and I, against her better judgement wanted to retire to Thailand.

So the basic question are expats tempted?

I was tempted at the time by the thought I would lead a wholly Farang life at a fraction of the price.

Over the years, that didn't really pan out, and I found cost of living, for the lifestyle I wanted to live was actually costing more than in the US, without the conveniences of living in your our country.

So I'm not exactly sure what the marketing hook would be for expats?

Unless we of course delve into the pants of aging farang males mesmerized by the Maidens of Isaan 

"delve into the pants of aging farang males"

Rather you than me!

• Haha 1

I still hope some day that gf and I can move to Thailand, but nothing is decided yet. We're not rich by western standards , and if we sold everything we could raise approx 25 mill baht. We're 50 + and 60 +so we could probably live rest of life for that money in Thailand, since some retirement money also would arrive in a few years. 

The huge question is. 

Does Thailand bring more joy living there fulltime, or would it be better to stay home near friends and family and then take 3 months vacations to Thailand every year. 

Any takes on that since it's a thread about expats in Thailand? 

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Quite sure the SRRV is suspended right now: https://newsinfo.inquirer.net/1351888/retirement-visas-on-hold-over-security-concerns

The board of the Philippine Retirement Authority (PRA) on Friday suspended the granting of retirement visas to foreigners after several senators raised security concerns over the presence in the country of nearly 28,000 Chinese “retirees,” some of whom were only in their 30s.

Destroyed by chinese abuse. Normal foreigners seem to suffer for this.

Currently Thailand seems the only easy to get long term visa in South East Asia...

Yeah they do, do u think all those phuket beach front villas, bangkok penthouses etc are owned by poor people.... lol.

Which other option is availble where u can just buy a 20 year visa for 30 grand and be left alone with basically no paperwork? Yeh nothing...

You think all those expensive houses are owned by farangs? Lol.

That 20 year visa for 30 grand which can be cancelled at any time get you out of 90 day reporting does it?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

That 20 year visa for 30 grand which can be cancelled at any time get you out of 90 day reporting does it?

Yeah. I know many immigrants here with nice houses. Obviously some are thai owned, which is of no surprise in a country called Thailand.

PE visas never get cancelled except for criminal behaviour, like every other visa in thailand and every other country, they exist since nearly 20 years... what a load of <deleted>. 

Cope harder...

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Yes our house is owned by our son ,who spent his early years  in farangland ,now runs a company in Thailand ,we all live in our nice big detached house ,am i worried he will put us out on the street ,? no i am not , i loved the UK and i love Thailand ,i reckon i will die here .

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Yeah. I know many immigrants here with nice houses. Obviously some are thai owned, which is of no surprise in a country called Thailand.

PE visas never get cancelled except for criminal behaviour, like every other visa in thailand and every other country, they exist since nearly 20 years... what a load of <deleted>. 

Cope harder...

Coping very well thanks as I have two houses.

However you did not answer the question as to whether Elite visa's get you out of having to do 90 day reports.

Edited by Rookiescot

Im married to a Thai, I love Thai people and culture, but we often tire of the endless antics of the Junta and past governments.  The pollution season is a huge 'No' and is a massive factor in where we decide to live.  Thailand is no longer cheap - its very expensive if you educate children here.  Other things are mostly background noise. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

I'm on a Non-Imm O (Retirement) & am not rich but I choose to pay an Agent to do all my immigration needs for me so with the exception of having to turn up on the day to do my extension I have nothing to do with them. 

Costs have been:-

1. 2,000 THB to do my very 1st TM30 (This was at the time when Immigration was being very hot about people completing them), have recently moved but the real estate agent did my TM30 for me
  2. Extension - 8,900 THB (Includes the 1,900 THB fee, they do all of the running around & I spend about 30 minutes at CW on the day)
  3. Initial 90 Day Report - 1,500 THB this was the report after the amnesty so needed to be done in person or you could pay a "Service Fee" to have an agent do it for you
  4. Subsequent 90 Day reporting - All done online, if I wanted my agent to do it for me it's 380 THB a time    

Maybe a waste of money to some but I value my time more than it costs so it's of value to me... 

If it wasn't for Covid I'd be travelling all of the time so would probably go for an Elite Visa (If for no other reason than fast track / lounges at the airport) & not have to do anything save update the Visa once every 5 years (Simply wouldn't bother with TM30 & no need to do 90 day reports as I wouldn't spend 90 days in-country) 

Works for you, so kudos!

• Thanks 1

Luv one track mind many here hv thai wife children n hv settled ..yes there's lots of frustrating stuff how ever ..winter coming uk ..not 4 me but hey each to their own ..as usually lots of nasty quotes on here ..example chk out Las Vegas compared to bangkok ..for other stuff ..be surprised..% wise anyway rant on ...the ranters 

• Confused 3

6 hours ago, ezzra said:

If only the people in charge on bringing "rich" or any foreigners to retire in Thailand knew what they were doing this country would be full of them, but Thai people are inherently proud of their country and sovereignty and are fiercely opposing the move to allow foreigners to populate Thailand in big numbers hence the awkward cumbersome visa and permits regulations a foreigner has to put with to stay in this country... 

Something I support. There were already far too many tourists prior to corona and they were ruining every tourist spot eg Maya Bay.

Anything to restrict the mass tourism is IMO a good thing.

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, worgeordie said:

TAT and Thailand want to forget about attracting wealthy ,tourists,  retirees,

it's never going to happen , Thailand has always appealed to the more adventurist

man in the street, would wanted something more exotic than Spain, Greece, Italy,

or Canary Island's .just hope they come back one day, just hope Thailand treats

them better, less scams, double pricing , a lot to ask I know , ????

regards Worgeordie

Agree totally 

5 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

ugh..pass on all of the above--rather drink sangsom with hot ladyboys who arent trying to get my $$$

Really? Ladyboys are not trying to get your $$$? LOL.

I've seen one on Sukhumvit relieving a farang of his wallet while said farang is being distracted by another of the gang. At least bargirls usually wait till the customer has bought a drink, before attempting to get him to part with the $$$.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

It's far to late to retire here, 90s and early 2000s was the time to come.The fun is over here it started with Thaksin and now Prayuth is giving the fatal blow to Thailand.2021 if you have money then you are probably in some tax haven in the Caribic for the average John Doe maybe Spain or Portugal in a small village far from tourists is affordable.If you don't mind muslims then Turkey is the place to be.If your pension is enough then Canary Islands.If I would be an American I would probably move to Mexiko