Are expats being tempted by Thailand?

webfact

39 minutes ago, overherebc said:

What you say is true but there is the point that when they hit the 'over 70' bracket it becomes 99% certain that health insurance will not be available or within the financial reach of most.  How many times do you read on here about older guys being stuck here seriously ill and without the means to get back to UK.

The vast majority of UK expats, I reckon, live here hoping/thinking it won't happen to them.

What is the yearly cost for a good insurance that coveres all if you are 70+?

100,000 baht pr person?

is that enough?

4 minutes ago, Teddy3943 said:

Only the ones who don't know the daily reality in LOS.

I lived there for almost 10 years. After some years several disadvantages anoyed me more and more: Not being treated equally and often being seen as a money provider. Not the same rights as other citizens. Greedy attitude by many professionals as medical, business and  others. Low educated and corrupt police officers. Unbelievable stupid behavior by van drivers and risky unpredictable chaotic traffic. Dangerous garbage everywhere and no one cares about it. And everything that needs to be well organised is a mess.

And this is only the shortlist...

The same would apply in literally every other expat destination in the world. Police are stupid the entire world over. Okay driving is better anywhere else in the world. Small price to pay for sunshine, great food, friendly and polite people, great accommodation at fair prices.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Teddy3943 said:

Only the ones who don't know the daily reality in LOS.

I lived there for almost 10 years. After some years several disadvantages anoyed me more and more: Not being treated equally and often being seen as a money provider. Not the same rights as other citizens. Greedy attitude by many professionals as medical, business and  others. Low educated and corrupt police officers. Unbelievable stupid behavior by van drivers and risky unpredictable chaotic traffic. Dangerous garbage everywhere and no one cares about it. And everything that needs to be well organised is a mess.

And this is only the shortlist...

Yep it can be a test for sure. There's hypocrisy and paradox all around the world and in every culture. The difference in thinking and systems, and the jarring experience of this is something I see as a barrier to falang's being able to love in LOS happily.

I'm a pragmatist in some ways and see the total hypocrisy of the western culture I hai, form so I don't see Thai hypocrisy as something so terrible and offensive but rather just another version of mans capacity to float BS in every day life.

I am lucky as I have enough money to empower me to have a retirement visa that affords all sorts of supports that dull such annoyances e.g. bureaucratic folks and systems when dealing with govt departments; including a good wine and beer cellar haha ????.

I see and acknowledge the 'different' ways things are done in some Asian countries with 'special' fees' being levied and find the work-arounds in these as interesting and something I chose to be smiling and joking about with officials. A fresh baked cake seems to do a tonne of good when visiting offices periodically. I'm still p-poor in Thai language but studying every week and slowly getting better. This I find really helps with being accepted and treated in more congenial fashion. It isn't a cure-all that's for sure lol but it sure helps a tonne I find.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PEE TEE said:

I must be very lucky have been here for 21 years from the UK. my total income is just over 8000 Pounds a year i only have to pay for  electric and water  i have a long term partnership asks for very little

Just as well ????

Good for you. 

37 minutes ago, DrPhibes said:

And your point is... (miss Robert Palmer RIP):

MV5BNGM0N2U4YmMtNGQ5MS00ZDkzLWEwMWQtNmIyMmU2MjYzMWQyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDgyNjA5MA@@._V1_.jpg

How weird.....just learning Johnny and Mary on the guitar!!!!

And just watched his last interview before his heart attack.

Edited by Will B Good

8 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Absolutely not. There are a dozen valid reasons why very, very few wealthy ex-pats or tourists come here. 

The majority who come here are seeking value. If I were wealthy, I would not spend more than 2 months of the year here. Many feel the same way. 

The rest is sheer delusion, brought on by decades of nationalist ranting, without any foundation in reality. 

Thailand is NOT the center of the known universe. If anything, Thailand now is a pale shadow of it's former self. There is very little about the place that is improving or moving forward, under the blind and toxic dinosaur leadership. 

There is very little about the place that is improving or moving forward, under the blind and toxic dinosaur leadership. 

I would hardly call it a leadership.

More like a closed shop organisation full of nepotism, and brown paper envelopes.

Not to mention the cronyism...

• Like 1

I lived and worked in Thailand for 20 years and left at the beginning of Covid.

I would like to continue a relationship with Thailand and Laos fromabusiness point of view but several things ae preventing this.

The first and most obvious is covid. Until the situation stabilises any thought of returning is out of the question.

After tat there are other factors.

the Political situation in Thailand is not appealing - by doing business here I'm contributing to an undemocratic militaristic government - there needs to be process towards a true deomcracy and grater respect for basic human rights. Especially freedom of expression.

Brexit has changed many things for Brits too. I was originally going to base my business in Portugal or France but as it involves frequent travel and movement of goods that is now no longer an op=tion - it has also shrunk my market be 80%.

This means I have to reconsider my market if I set up in Thailand and future visa and trade arrangements between Thailand and UK.

Retiring in Spain or other EU countries is no longer a simple as it was - there are new visa requirements, property laws and travel restrictions - even after Covid.

So for some seeking retirement - Thailand is now on a par with the EU as Brits are "outsiders" equally for both regions. However the distance may put some people off.

for myself, I have to review what originally was going to be an EU/Thai project and consider is it worth just being a UK/Thai project with all the limitations and documentation that incurs.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Well he’s certainly not talking about those other places, which have already ‘moved forward’ by ceding their lands, culture and rights to foreigners. Don’t blame Thailand not giving an inch, but those swathes of expats ready to spend big there should gen themselves up first. 

The ability to own land is the very least of why many will no longer tour here or even visit for extended periods.

8 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

Philippines is probably the only one with it's SRRV (though this involve as jumping through as many if not more hoops),

I got mine 8 years go, an PRA agent helped me  no charge. I have NEVER been to immigration, renew my Resident card every 3 years through PRA. No TM30, 90 day reports, exit and re entry costs. There is a lot less hoops here, believe me. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, 3NUMBAS said:

unlikely any time soon,old geezers are not in the runnning any more ,and young  geezers have a diferent take on siam

I think healthcare will weed out a lot of older people especially Brits who don't have to pay when at home. They no longer automativ=cally qualify for health care in the EU and may find insurance prohibitive in Thailand.

7 hours ago, worgeordie said:

TAT and Thailand want to forget about attracting wealthy ,tourists,  retirees,

it's never going to happen

There are some reasons why wealthy retirees or foreign company owners would relocate to Thailand

The laws for taxation attract people who like to pay less tax, it gets complicated but it can be done and quite easily, especially if you're not from the US.

• Like 2

The 2.5 air pollution season (Dec.-April) is what killed it for us. High levels of PM2.5 air pollution are not conducive to healthy life style, so as a year round retirement destination it would be out of the question. Although the south is much better, the best case scenario would be to leave during the peak season. 

• Like 2