Are expats being tempted by Thailand?

webfact

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

IMO most farangs that like living in LOS didn't move there to live as if they were back home, and it's very cheap to do so without all the ( IMO ) BS that we have to live with in the west.

I moved here because it is nothing much like back home..... hedonistic attractions.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Isaan sailor said:

With Covid raging, vaccines in short supply, travel restrictions, political unrest, and now once again, a rising Baht—I don’t believe many will be enticed here.  In fact, they shouldn’t bother.

Baht looks to be losing some value again.....

14 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

IMO most farangs that like living in LOS didn't move there to live as if they were back home, and it's very cheap to do so without all the ( IMO ) BS that we have to live with in the west.

Things like accommodation, food, public transport, dentists, vehicle maintenance are EXTREMELY cheap in LOS compared to western countries.

What you say is true but there is the point that when they hit the 'over 70' bracket it becomes 99% certain that health insurance will not be available or within the financial reach of most.  How many times do you read on here about older guys being stuck here seriously ill and without the means to get back to UK.

The vast majority of UK expats, I reckon, live here hoping/thinking it won't happen to them.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, overherebc said:

What you say is true but there is the point that when they hit the 'over 70' bracket it becomes 99% certain that health insurance will not be available or within the financial reach of most.  How many times do you read on here about older guys being stuck here seriously ill and without the means to get back to UK.

The vast majority of UK expats, I reckon, live here hoping/thinking it won't happen to them.

That's true, but when I reached the age it was difficult to get medical insurance I left. I might get free hospital treatment here, but anything before that ( GP, physio etc ) costs a heap. The NHS is the ONLY reason I'd like to live in the UK.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, khunPer said:

That's the kind of folks that can afford an 800k baht deposit, and also can afford to live in a fair home, and spend the average 65k baht or more each month. There are likely plenty of them, but Thailand might be too difficult to settle in, and is therefore lower on the preference list, if not avoided from the beginning.

??????????????

I lived on a lot less than 65k a month and lived very well. 800,000 was permanently in the bank and never touched. Insurance was the only real problem I had.

I certainly never had any problems "settling" in LOS, and preferred it.

5 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

??????????????

I lived on a lot less than 65k a month and lived very well. 800,000 was permanently in the bank and never touched. Insurance was the only real problem I had.

I certainly never had any problems "settling" in LOS, and preferred it.

Yes, and I say average - some spend little less, and others spends a lot more - but the comment is not aimed at those that is already here, or has already been here, but at getting potential future retirees to settle in the Kingdom...????

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Fair enough.

Rich people are IMO never going to retire in LOS for all the usual reasons. LOS should concentrate on people like me to fill all the empty hotel rooms.

Make local hospital care affordable, make retirement visa/extensions easy, and they'll have all they can handle IMO.

By all means require a million baht on permanent deposit, but stop making it so difficult to stay.

Isn't that what I'm saying, but backed with some details...????

Just now, khunPer said:

Isn't that what I'm saying, but backed with some details...????

I thought you were saying rich people would retire in LOS, but perhaps I read it wrong. I consider anyone that spends 65k a month to be on the rich side. I lived well on half that, including rent in a very nice hotel with everything needed except food.

• Like 1