Pattaya Opens in October - Retirees Question

D M G

12 minutes ago, smedly said:

Posted this a long time ago about Phuket

The lunacy of requirements and red tape which is designed to gouge money - no other logical explanation

So you are a returning retiree with your own property in Pattaya and possibly a wife and or children that live there.

You must book the SHA Hotel and sleep there - no other option

you can leave your hotel in the morning and go to your own property, stay there all day with family - sleep all day in bed if you want or go out all day, you must return to the SHA hotel at night - rinse and repeat

now if anyone can make logical sense out of that you are better than me.

IMO it is a money grab - nothing else 

Thailand needs to waken up and stop this stupidity

That truly makes no sense.  It begs a journalist to follow-up.

15 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

It's a real sham really ! I have a house I can go isolate in in Pattaya if required. I can send the wife and daughter to Nan visit the parents or sister in BKK for two weeks after she stocks up all the cupboards for me to use in 2 weeks, yet I am not allowed to do it.

Sometimes it seems more money driven than health driven

That is very unlikely to be the case for everyone.... 

You cannot be trusted to stay 100% in your home while they are away.... there have been plenty similar examples, was it the Egyptian Military that went walkabout in Rayong that caused a cluster?

Nice little earner too.

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, Leaver said:

That's Thailand being Thailand, thinking they are the only "show" in the region, and foreigners will just keep coming back, no matter Thailand's level of stupidity, corruption, dual pricing, price gouging, extortion, assaults, and xenophobia. 

They had a shrinking western tourism market here before covid.  I can't see it being any different post covid, and into the future.  

It's all about a quick baht today, with no concern for tomorrow.

Cambodia, Vietnam, Philippines, Indonesia

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, FalangJaiDee said:

Unless Vietnamese women suddenly become as morally loose and nonchalant about p4p sex with strangers then it’s not happening

Well the ones I've encountered certainly meet that description.  Admittedly I am drawn to the right places.

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, FalangJaiDee said:

Unless Vietnamese women suddenly become as morally loose and nonchalant about p4p sex with strangers then it’s not happening

Agreed.  Business, technology, labor ????.  Entertainment ????.   -   Compared to Thailand

• Like 1

On 9/11/2021 at 1:23 AM, jacko45k said:

That is very unlikely to be the case for everyone.... 

You cannot be trusted to stay 100% in your home while they are away.... there have been plenty similar examples, was it the Egyptian Military that went walkabout in Rayong that caused a cluster?

Nice little earner too.

Yeah, I'm inclined to think it's as much about control as it is about the money.

• Like 2

On 9/10/2021 at 3:02 PM, RichardColeman said:

It's a real sham really ! I have a house I can go isolate in in Pattaya if required. I can send the wife and daughter to Nan visit the parents or sister in BKK for two weeks after she stocks up all the cupboards for me to use in 2 weeks, yet I am not allowed to do it.

Sometimes it seems more money driven than health driven

Agree with your reasoning concerning your and like others situation. I fear I understand the “cookie cutter” solutions having worked with administrators in education for 41 years. Not sure if an “Office of Ombudsman” would help but seems Thailand could certainly use an office like this to cut through the issues dealing with resident retirees.

On 9/11/2021 at 1:22 AM, bbko said:

"No mention of Non-O retirees with homes, condos, apartments, etc."  So you're thinking we'd have to move out of our residences and stay in those SHA+ hotels?

At the beginning of the Phuket Sandbox, the governor there was very straightforward in telling the press that since the purpose of the program was to prop up the tourist industry, everyone would have to stay in a hotel for two weeks even if they had their own house or apartment. It's rather appalling, but at least he was up front about it. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I would much rather trust people than the authorities any day.

Have you met people? They are, for the most part, idiots.

By "authority" it sounds like you are referring to politicians. They are the useful idiots the moneyed elite and corporations use to control the other idiots (people).

If you are trusting either of these groups unquestioned you may well fall into the "I" group as well...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, billd766 said:

The authorities will tell people what to do, right or wrong, and will punish people who refuse to obey

If you are referring to covid authorities, what punishments have you been experiencing? I would like to avoid punishment... ????????????

On 9/10/2021 at 2:05 PM, D M G said:

That truly makes no sense.  It begs a journalist to follow-up.

As the headline of your post says "Pattaya open to fully vaccinated foreign tourists in October", but you're not a tourist. Your options are 2 weeks quarantine in a hotel room, or use one of the sandbox-type openings for tourists, and spend the required time there like a tourist.

It's not a question about if it makes sense for expats, it's how the rule is at the moment.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mikebike said:

Have you met people? They are, for the most part, idiots.

By "authority" it sounds like you are referring to politicians. They are the useful idiots the moneyed elite and corporations use to control the other idiots (people).

If you are trusting either of these groups unquestioned you may well fall into the "I" group as well...

Well at 77 I have met and worked with probably thousands of people in the 38 countries that I have worked and lived in, and the majority of them are not idiots.

Perhaps we move in different circles.

I have not met many of the posters on TVF and a lot of the posters I have read probably are not the brightest bulbs in the chandelier.

Having said that few of them post insults when they reply, and you are among the few that do, especially if they don't agree with your posts or attitude.

• Like 1

On 9/11/2021 at 6:33 AM, FalangJaiDee said:

If their grandmothers were back in the '60s during the American War then I could see this happening again.  I'm sure it does now but maybe not to the same extent like back then. 

Edited by Hanuman2547

On 9/10/2021 at 6:51 PM, smedly said:

Posted this a long time ago about Phuket

The lunacy of requirements and red tape which is designed to gouge money - no other logical explanation

So you are a returning retiree with your own property in Pattaya and possibly a wife and or children that live there.

You must book the SHA Hotel and sleep there - no other option

you can leave your hotel in the morning and go to your own property, stay there all day with family - sleep all day in bed if you want or go out all day, you must return to the SHA hotel at night - rinse and repeat

now if anyone can make logical sense out of that you are better than me.

IMO it is a money grab - nothing else 

Thailand needs to waken up and stop this stupidity

Just wait until this virus eases up a bit more, there will be lots of protesters. Oh! Wait a minute, how long can the unelected PM and his soldiers keep making it against the law to gather in crowds for their own convenience?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, BusyB said:

Yeah, I'm inclined to think it's as much about control as it is about the money.

I would say about 70% money and 30% control. When this unelected PM and his soldiers make up laws, you can bet money will always be the main motivation.

Edited by possum1931
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Just wait until this virus eases up a bit more, there will be lots of protesters. Oh! Wait a minute, how long can the unelected PM and his soldiers keep making it against the law to gather in crowds for their own convenience?

Sadly, as long as they are in power and have the army and the police to back them up.

• Like 1