What do those of you from the US (and elsewhere) think about Tom Brady starting another year at the most difficult position in the NFL - at the tender age of 44?

DBath

I'll admit, I hated Tom Brady, especially while he was at New England (I'm a lifelong Denver Broncos fan and my first wife was a cheerleader for that team). I got so sick and tired of him and his team, the New England Patriots winning and winning and winning, ugh...

Albeit, in the back of my mind was always this admiration of the quest for perfection they represented.

But as I've grown older I find myself becoming a fan...HOW CAN THIS BE HAPPENING?????

I'm curious (for those who genuinely care) what do you think? Soccer fans need not respond, unless you have a valid interest in the topic or the NFL.

Edited by DBath
  • Thanks 1

NFL fans of a certain age will remember what is still one of the saddest ever pictures in football:  Y.A. Tittle, the one time iron man QB for the old New York Giants, sitting, dazed looking, blood trickling down his face, after being Intercepted and leveled for a game winning TD by the Pittsburg Steelers.   It would seem an inglorious end for a warrior such as he and many other greats over the years but most old warriors prefer it this way, going down fighting rather than just fading off a roster.

TB gave me so many wonderful years as a Patriots fan, I begrudge him nothing in Tampa Bay.  The business of pro-football today doesn't reward loyalty.  He earned the right to cement his place as the GOAT that he indisputably is.

Like Y.A., it will probably take one big hit to bring him down and give age it's inevitable due, but I wish for him that he can continue to shine like the true star he is as long as the spirits of the 50 Yard line will allow. 

YA Tittle.jpeg

Edited by dddave
  • Like 2

Fascinated Fan of NFL QB History (not the game, teams or leagues)…… Brit Rugby & “Soccer” Fan greatest ever QB certainly ( NFL,/ Other websites); joint greatest NFL player ever ( w/ Jerry Rice).

His stats are not particularly outstanding except he just WINS much more League & SB games than any other QB or Player.

His Hunger to WIN is unabated at 44, an incredible age to be highly successful at the very top, in any Top Sport, helped no doubt by the stop/start/specialized Set Play NFL Nature (anaerobic / explosive).

Soccer & Rugby in contrast are much more continous, less specialized, high stamina, aerobic sports. Top Players Done at 35. Except Ronaldo (36) looks like continuing at the very top until 40+ so might become Soccers Brady.

So Brady has No Comparison in any Sport, at that Age. Lionel Messi is Soccers Brady, the all time Best Player at 34 but past peak now……Dan Carter is Rugbys Brady, greatest all time overall player,Fly Half, similar to QB, retired at 38 but finished top level at 34. 

Questions are WHY and HOW does Brady continue to Excel ! And WHEN will he ( have to) Stop.

Maybe even he doesn’t know the answers…… !

• Like 2

@dddav I'm from the Boston area,central Massachusetts . Back in the day we would only get NY Giant football on TV . At that time the Boston  Patriots(now New England Patriots) were part of the Jr league,which was the American Football League. They weren't televised back then 

I loved the Giants and watching YA with his one bar helmet  face protector, Sam Huff ,linebacker and Frank Gifford wide receiver,Alex Webster, Tucker Fredericson and RB Ron Johnson . I think after YA left Fran Tarketon,the scrambler,  took over or soon there after. 

I started to get interested in the Patiots about the time when  the two leagues became one, QB Jim Plunkett  and then  became a solidified fan when QB Steve Grogan came on!

Bill Parcels coach,  Bill Belicheck coach and Robert Kraft owner, structured that organization  and its players ,to make the team one of the best in the last 50 years.

Tom Brady drafted 199th in the 2000 NFL  draft! He wasn't highly  considered by many  other teams at that time because he lacked image of what a QB should be like and it was said he didn't have talent enough.

Side note if you google"Tom" the first hit is Tom Brady!

Tom Brady took over from injured Drew Bledsoe as QB ,took the team to the Super Bowl and won the first SB title for the Patriot's in stunning fashion !

They came into the game as 14 point underdogs against the St. Louis Rams ! In the last minute of the game he drove down the field which  led to a 48 yard field goal and win!

Thats when Tom became the Come Back Kid!

Hello @Dbath. Up until recently I was a Patriot fan, New York Yankees fan, Boston Celtics and Bruins fan !  I have been to all the games over the years!

Red sox /Yankees games, Pats games, Celtic/Lakers.

Tom Brady is the best QB that ever played! In 20 years with the Pats ,they went to the Super Bowl 9x winning 6! 

Tom is doing what he does best ! 

Edited by riclag
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

Fascinated Fan of NFL QB History (not the game, teams or leagues)…… Brit Rugby & “Soccer” Fan greatest ever QB certainly ( NFL,/ Other websites); joint greatest NFL player ever ( w/ Jerry Rice).

His stats are not particularly outstanding except he just WINS much more League & SB games than any other QB or Player.

His Hunger to WIN is unabated at 44, an incredible age to be highly successful at the very top, in any Top Sport, helped no doubt by the stop/start/specialized Set Play NFL Nature (anaerobic / explosive).

Soccer & Rugby in contrast are much more continous, less specialized, high stamina, aerobic sports. Top Players Done at 35. Except Ronaldo (36) looks like continuing at the very top until 40+ so might become Soccers Brady.

So Brady has No Comparison in any Sport, at that Age. Lionel Messi is Soccers Brady, the all time Best Player at 34 but past peak now……Dan Carter is Rugbys Brady, greatest all time overall player,Fly Half, similar to QB, retired at 38 but finished top level at 34. 

Questions are WHY and HOW does Brady continue to Excel ! And WHEN will he ( have to) Stop.

Maybe even he doesn’t know the answers…… !

"Questions are WHY and HOW does Brady continue to Excel ! And WHEN will he ( have to) Stop.

Maybe even he doesn’t know the answers…… "!

IMOP He's still a kid playing a sport and doing a job that he loves!

He spends money and time perfecting his skill

• Like 1

If he can make it to starting position, woo hoo. There's been plenty of NFL players that have been questionable, let him play and if he's over the hill, I'm sure management will handle it properly.

5 hours ago, ProbPossConf said:

Remember George Blanda?  Go Raiders!

Blanda was an icon and is the first person I always think about when the topic of NFL longevity comes up.

As far as the Raiders go...Hey, I'm a Bronco fan! (actually, I kind of like the Raiders now, I would've never said that back in the day - gotta love John Madden though).

5 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

I'm more of a player fan than a team fan. Loved watching Brett Favre play who was 41 when he retired. Used to root for the Raiders. I don't know what drives us to work past our prime. He's awesome and still plays well.

I really liked Brett Favre too - dude was a gunslinger. The Super Bowl between Denver and Green Bay, where Elway dove for the end zone and was hit mid-air and got spun like a helicopter before finally crossing the goal line was a defining moment. I can remember that game was close all the way to the end and I remember being terrified that Favre would pull out a miracle on the last play. Fortunately for Denver, that didn't happen.

I read recently that Brady has a very strict diet and he goes to bed at like 7:30pm every night. He and his conditioning coach have marketed Brady's diet details under the 'T12' brand (I think that's what it's called, anyway).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dddave said:

NFL fans of a certain age will remember what is still one of the saddest ever pictures in football:  Y.A. Tittle, the one time iron man QB for the old New York Giants, sitting, dazed looking, blood trickling down his face, after being Intercepted and leveled for a game winning TD by the Pittsburg Steelers.   It would seem an inglorious end for a warrior such as he and many other greats over the years but most old warriors prefer it this way, going down fighting rather than just fading off a roster.

TB gave me so many wonderful years as a Patriots fan, I begrudge him nothing in Tampa Bay.  The business of pro-football today doesn't reward loyalty.  He earned the right to cement his place as the GOAT that he indisputably is.

Like Y.A., it will probably take one big hit to bring him down and give age it's inevitable due, but I wish for him that he can continue to shine like the true star he is as long as the spirits of the 50 Yard line will allow. 

YA Tittle.jpeg

I don't think there is anyone who can dispute TB being the GOAT at his position.

That picture of Tittle is a '1000 word-er'. I wish I had grown up in the era of Tittle and Whizzer White (err, maybe that would not be such a good thing to wish for at my age, LOL). White was born in my hometown of Fort Collins, CO and was an Associate Justice on the Supreme Court from 1962 - 1993. These guys played back when they didn't even wear facemasks, tough, tough guys.

Edited by DBath
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

joint greatest NFL player ever ( w/ Jerry Rice).

I was lucky enough to snag Jerry Rice one year for my Fantasy FB team...I did quite well that year.

3 hours ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

I'd say that's all that matters, but the more I learn about Brady the more I'm beginning to think he's very unique and is the 'total package', more so than most, IMO. He lives his life to excel at his position.

50 minutes ago, riclag said:

@dddav I'm from the Boston area,central Massachusetts . Back in the day we would only get NY Giant football on TV . At that time the Boston  Patriots(now New England Patriots) were part of the Jr league,which was the American Football League. They weren't televised back then 

I loved the Giants and watching YA with his one bar helmet  face protector, Sam Huff ,linebacker and Frank Gifford wide receiver,Alex Webster, Tucker Fredericson and RB Ron Johnson . I think after YA left Fran Tarketon,the scrambler,  took over or soon there after. 

I started to get interested in the Patiots about the time when  the two leagues became one, QB Jim Plunkett  and then  became a solidified fan when QB Steve Grogan came on!

Bill Parcels coach,  Bill Belicheck coach and Robert Kraft owner, structured that organization  and its players ,to make the team one of the best in the last 50 years.

Tom Brady drafted 199th in the 2000 NFL  draft! He wasn't highly  considered by many  other teams at that time because he lacked image of what a QB should be like and it was said he didn't have talent enough.

Tom Brady took over from injured Drew Bledsoe as QB ,took the team to the Super Bowl and won the first SB title for the Patriot's in stunning fashion !

They came into the game as 14 point underdogs against the St. Louis Rams ! In the last minute of the game he drove down the field which  led to a 48 yard field goal and win!

Hello @Dbath. Up until recently I was a Patriot fan, New York Yankees fan, Boston Celtics and Bruins fan !  I have been to all the games over the years!

Tom Brady is the best QB that ever played! In 20 years with the Pats ,they went to the Super Bowl 9x winning 6! 

Thank you for posting this, it really brings back a lot of memories for me as this all transpired around the time I began to take an interest in the game. As far as Brady goes, the guy just wins, what else can you say? Last year showed it may have been as much him as it was Belichick to make the Pats the tremendous success they were. This year may be a 'redefining' year for Bill B., with Mac Jones. I've not seen him play yet, but I'm a fan of several former Alabama players.

What are your thoughts regarding the Pat's going with Mac Jones and cutting Cam Newton loose? I personally think it made a lot of sense, if everything I've read about Mac Jones is true. That said, it's tough for any first year QB, no matter how good they are coming out of college.

• Like 2

TB12 said (a while ago) he'd play until age 45, while Tompa Bay GM Licht says he can stay until age 50. There are always rumblings that Giselle is not all that pleased.

The experience that comes with reading the defense, setting the protection and getting rid of the ball quickly seems to overcome any of his declining physical capabilities. I watched all of the kick-off game and have to say he looked pretty good. He dropped a few long dimes. One pick was a fluke, and he did throw a few passes he shouldn't have, but when the #3 receiver (AB) goes 5 for 121 and a TD, you've got a good team.

What he did last year while playing on a bum knee (MCL) was simply amazing. This year I think they'll need home-field advantage for the NFC Championship game, in order to make it to Superbowl LVI in SoFi.

Were the Bucs to repeat, I can see TB12 retiring. But the competitive spirit runs hot with him, people say. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

TB12 said (a while ago) he'd play until age 45, while Tompa Bay GM Licht says he can stay until age 50. There are always rumblings that Giselle is not all that pleased.

The experience that comes with reading the defense, setting the protection and getting rid of the ball quickly seems to overcome any of his declining physical capabilities. I watched all of the kick-off game and have to say he looked pretty good. He dropped a few long dimes. One pick was a fluke, and he did throw a few passes he shouldn't have, but when the #3 receiver (AB) goes 5 for 121 and a TD, you've got a good team.

What he did last year while playing on a bum knee (MCL) was simply amazing. This year I think they'll need home-field advantage for the NFC Championship game, in order to make it to Superbowl LVI in SoFi.

Were the Bucs to repeat, I can see TB12 retiring. But the competitive spirit runs hot with him, people say. 

I agree, and I think Brady has enough class to know when it's time to hang it up. I can't see him ever letting himself get to a point where he's just struggling to stay on or accepting a  backup role like some do when they get to that point.

5 hours ago, HappyExpat57 said:

He did fine, thought the oddsmakers had the Buccaneers WHOMPING the Cowboys. Surprising game.

I didn't see the game, but went through the stats and it appears from that Dak Prescott had a decent game. The oddsmaker's and doubter's predictions might have given them (Dallas) some motivation, also. 

Wish I could have seen the game, but we're still getting settled in here. I also have a bit of a running dispute going on with NFL Game Pass at the moment. Once that get's sorted out I'll be back at it!

13 hours ago, riclag said:

As a Pat's fan, I can go back to freezing my butt off during a snowstorm in Fenway Park as the then Boston Patriots lost 24-14 to the Jack Kemp QB'd  Buffalo Bills for the 1964 Eastern Division Championship. Buffalo had a bulldozer fullback named "Cookie Gilchrist" who nobody could stop

Our seats were along the 1st base line where the Pat's bench was.  4th quarter when all was lost, a major snowball fight broke out amongst the Pats players and us fans.

Kemp went on to be a Congressman and Vice-Presidential running mate with Bob Dole in 1996.

Edited by dddave
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DBath said:

I didn't see the game, but went through the stats

The stats accentuate the fact that Champa Bay should have lost: turnovers, time of possession, first downs all favored the 'Boys. Dak was awesome, bettered Brady on rating, although he can't survive 16 more games throwing it 58 times. The spread was 9 1/2 I think.

The addition of Gio Bernard definitely makes them better than last year, he plays the 3rd down back.

And since they didn't win their division last year they have a much much easier schedule. 15-2 seems reasonable?

Obviously the week 4 SNF match-up will be a marquee game. May be the top non-playoff audience draw, depending on what happens between now and then.

1 hour ago, mtls2005 said:

The stats accentuate the fact that Champa Bay should have lost: turnovers, time of possession, first downs all favored the 'Boys. Dak was awesome, bettered Brady on rating, although he can't survive 16 more games throwing it 58 times. The spread was 9 1/2 I think.

The addition of Gio Bernard definitely makes them better than last year, he plays the 3rd down back.

And since they didn't win their division last year they have a much much easier schedule. 15-2 seems reasonable?

Obviously the week 4 SNF match-up will be a marquee game. May be the top non-playoff audience draw, depending on what happens between now and then.

I saw where Dak was about 10 pts higher on QBR than Brady. Somehow that guy finds a way to win.

I do agree the Cowboys will be much improved this year, if they can keep their QB healthy and protected.

What about Zeke? I think he only had about 38 yards, that's not gonna cut it, if he hopes to get back to the 'elite' category. That said, I don't think either team had a player go over 40 yards on the ground (if I recall correctly), which probably speaks to the strength of defense for both teams, at least on the ground. Both teams are loaded at receiver position, I like Lamb and Cooper, but as I said before, I like Alabama alums.

16 hours ago, DBath said:

Thank you for posting this, it really brings back a lot of memories for me as this all transpired around the time I began to take an interest in the game. As far as Brady goes, the guy just wins, what else can you say? Last year showed it may have been as much him as it was Belichick to make the Pats the tremendous success they were. This year may be a 'redefining' year for Bill B., with Mac Jones. I've not seen him play yet, but I'm a fan of several former Alabama players.

What are your thoughts regarding the Pat's going with Mac Jones and cutting Cam Newton loose? I personally think it made a lot of sense, if everything I've read about Mac Jones is true. That said, it's tough for any first year QB, no matter how good they are coming out of college.

Sadly ,I don't follow sports anymore !  I left my Knee in San Francisco, so to speak!

I can't support people ,games and organizations that disrespect the Flag and  what  it stands for! 

Sorry ! Your thread  was refreshing in a time with all thats going on !

Thanks for sharing

Edited by riclag
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, dddave said:

As a Pat's fan, I can go back to freezing my butt off during a snowstorm in Fenway Park as the then Boston Patriots lost 24-14 to the Jack Kemp QB'd  Buffalo Bills for the 1964 Eastern Division Championship. Buffalo had a bulldozer fullback named "Cookie Gilchrist" who nobody could stop

Our seats were along the 1st base line where the Pat's bench was.  4th quarter when all was lost, a major snowball fight broke out amongst the Pats players and us fans.

Kemp went on to be a Congressman and Vice-Presidential running mate with Bob Dole in 1996.

Yes they did play briefly at Fenway ! Cookie Gilchrist wow , I remember that name !

Freezing your butt off at Fenway! I did a few of those  but they were for Red Sox/Yankees tickets when they went on sale in December! We'd go the night before and stand in line until the ticket office opened at 9am ! Lots of fun ! Standing in line with single digit temps. Kinda like tailgating but standing in line ,meeting people who shared the love of a sports,laughs,memories and hot soup!

I would usually get box seats ,I generally would have 30 or 50 people a head of me and by the time 9am came the line grew close to 2k or more.

I did attend a 1996 Playoff game at Gillette Stadium ,Jacksonville  vs  Pats ,single digit weather up in the bleaches, even colder with the wind chill !

We didn't care,half in the bag and our team won

Edited by riclag
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, riclag said:

Sadly ,I don't follow sports anymore !  I left my Knee in San Francisco, so to speak!

I can't support people ,games and organizations that disrespect the Flag and  what  it stands for! 

Sorry ! Your thread  was refreshing in a time with all thats going on !

Thanks for sharing

I don't blame you one bit @riclag and...I feel you. I happen to share your beliefs and your sentiments, though I will still watch certain matchups.

I hope you can respect that. Regardless, I totally respect your position.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DBath said:

I don't blame you one bit @riclag and...I feel you. I happen to share your beliefs and your sentiments, though I will still watch certain matchups.

I hope you can respect that. Regardless, I totally respect your position.

Good for you! I'm happy you agree and if you didn't thats ok to. 555

12 hours ago, riclag said:

I did attend a 1996 Playoff game at Gillette Stadium ,Jacksonville  vs  Pats

Gillette Stadium opened in 2002.

You were at Foxboro Stadium - a true dump, I went a few times - built for $ 6 mm, and originally named Schaefer Stadium.

Pats lost to the Packers two weeks later in Superbowl 31

• Thanks 1