What do those of you from the US (and elsewhere) think about Tom Brady starting another year at the most difficult position in the NFL - at the tender age of 44?

DBath

9 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Gillette Stadium opened in 2002.

You were at Foxboro Stadium - a true dump, I went a few times - built for $ 6 mm, and originally named Schaefer Stadium.

Pats lost to the Packers two weeks later in Superbowl 31

The original Boston Patriots were field-less orphans for most of their early years: Fenway Park, BC Stadium, Nickerson (BU) Field and probably a few more.

The most hilarious piece of public graffiti I recall ever seeing was generated by this situation. 

The Patriots wanted to be in Boston itself but no existing stadiums were suitable.  There were also pushing for public funding for a new stadium as many other cities were doing.   One very popular site proposal was the site of a huge, conical garbage incinerator, just off the fabled Southeast Expressway in Dorchester.  There was huge public and political pressure to fund a stadium with the Pats threatening to move to another city if not built but the Boston City Council had the wisdom and guts not to encumber the city with tens of millions of dollars (serious money then) in debt and turned it down flat.

Patriots fans were predictably enraged and one night a group of them (shades of the Boston Tea Party) snuck onto the incinerator site and somehow managed to write in huge letters: "The Boston City Council Garbage Bowl"  

The Patriots did end up moving, but only 25 miles out to suburban Foxboro, surviving the dysfunctional Sullivan and Orthwein ownerships to become the team that it is now.

The City of Boston happily sailed on, not having to pay for a stadium like those that became financially disastrous  white elephants for so many other cities.

• Like 1

On 9/12/2021 at 5:16 PM, dddave said:

The original Boston Patriots were field-less orphans for most of their early years: Fenway Park, BC Stadium, Nickerson (BU) Field and probably a few more.

The most hilarious piece of public graffiti I recall ever seeing was generated by this situation. 

The Patriots wanted to be in Boston itself but no existing stadiums were suitable.  There were also pushing for public funding for a new stadium as many other cities were doing.   One very popular site proposal was the site of a huge, conical garbage incinerator, just off the fabled Southeast Expressway in Dorchester.  There was huge public and political pressure to fund a stadium with the Pats threatening to move to another city if not built but the Boston City Council had the wisdom and guts not to encumber the city with tens of millions of dollars (serious money then) in debt and turned it down flat.

Patriots fans were predictably enraged and one night a group of them (shades of the Boston Tea Party) snuck onto the incinerator site and somehow managed to write in huge letters: "The Boston City Council Garbage Bowl"  

The Patriots did end up moving, but only 25 miles out to suburban Foxboro, surviving the dysfunctional Sullivan and Orthwein ownerships to become the team that it is now.

The City of Boston happily sailed on, not having to pay for a stadium like those that became financially disastrous  white elephants for so many other cities.

Man O Man, the city  missed out on a lot of revenue over the years because of that lack of  wisdom

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/10/2021 at 11:04 PM, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

Questions are WHY and HOW does Brady continue to Excel ! And WHEN will he ( have to) Stop.

Why? Because the rules were changed to protect him. If you go back even to the 1990s, Tom Brady wouldn't have lasted. And go back further, to the 1970s, and the likes of Brady would be mopped up off the field. Rules have changed to protect QBs from any hits whatsoever while in the pocket. Rules have changed to allow receivers to run free without so much as a bump from a DB. It's touch football out there, now. Brady is not in the same league as QBs such as Staubach, Bradshaw, Namath, or Tarkenton. That goes in comparison to Aikman and Favre as well.

On 9/11/2021 at 5:55 PM, DBath said:

I do agree the Cowboys will be much improved this year, if they can keep their QB healthy and protected.

I followed the Cowboys from the time of Don Meredith, Craig Morton, Jerry Rhome, and Staubach, when all four were on the roster (Rhome was a decent QB). But, now? I despise Jones. That man is moral sewage. I enjoy seeing him suffer when he loses. Don't really care for this free agent era, either, where people change teams at the drop of a hat. What was the old saying: you're a fan of the uniform, not the team these days.

• Like 1

JDrake: know little about the game but love watching QB TD throw pass highlights !

Rodgers especially great for me as he gets incredible stats. with nobody special around him…

Rule Changes protecting QBs & Receivers surely improved the creative game ?

No sane fan wants to see QB’s helmet-tackled or Receivers clotheslined…. massive concussive hits.

Even Brady was stating though that its gone too far with Defenders forced into, and over- penalized for, collision tackles, resulting from poor QB throws…. was we call a “hospital pass” in Rugby !

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

JDrake: know little about the game but love watching QB TD throw pass highlights !

Rodgers especially great for me as he gets incredible stats. with nobody special around him…

Rule Changes protecting QBs & Receivers surely improved the creative game ?

No sane fan wants to see QB’s helmet-tackled or Receivers clotheslined…. massive concussive hits.

Even Brady was stating though that its gone too far with Defenders forced into, and over- penalized for, collision tackles, resulting from poor QB throws…. was we call a “hospital pass” in Rugby !

If you are a follower of the modern game, I can see how you appreciate these players the way you do. But there are so many other factors, aside from the rules, that have changed QB stats and play. Look at the turf they played on in the 70s and 80s. Essentially, is was a concrete slab with green fuzz on top. Nothing made the game more conducive to concussions than players being slammed down on concrete. That is what probably drove Staubach out of the game.  But for my money, the best QBs were those back in the 60s. And remember they called their own plays!!! Unlike today's QBs. The three I most enjoyed watching in order were: Joe Namath, Don Meredith, and Sonny Jurgenson. Nobody before or since (although I never saw Sammy Baugh or Otto Graham) ever was more creative with passing the football than Joe Namath. It shocks me to see how his memory has been so largely forgotten.  Then, there is Don Meredith and his favorite receiver, Rapid Robert Hayes. NFL teams basically invented the zone defense to deal with Meredith to Hayes. (I remember when the Philadelphia Eagles unveiled their umbrella defense for Hayes and Meredith then went out and threw for over 400 yards.) Nobody was ever faster than Hayes, although NY Giants' Homer Jones thought he was. Last is paunchy Sonny Jurgenson. The man couldn't move to save his life but he could master the passing game like nobody else except maybe Namath. 

Finally, go back and look at NFL films highlight shows from the 70s through the 90s. They were all built around hits. People like Jack Tatum, Cliff Harris, Dick Butkus, Deacon Jones, Randy White, Ronnie Lott, Mike Curtis.  To be honest, I don't know why there weren't more deaths and paralysis back in the 70s. The game was almost downright deadly. Put that all together, open season on QB sack rushers, bump and run DBs, horse collaring, playing on cement turf, and you'll see why so many QBs were decimated by injuries. Namath couldn't even walk at the end of his career. Had Tom Brady played back then, different story I think.  Bottom line: it's just a different game now.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

An earlier than expected exit from the playoffs.

I'm thinking 50/50 he returns, either with the Bucs or another team.

The Bucs will be losing many, many significant players.

That said, he's still got it, that pass to Evans at 3:20 to bring the score to 27-20 was thing of beauty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wNbyffVyj8

Edited by mtls2005

Seems like it's more of a 99% chance he'll announce retirement soon. 

Tom Brady retirement decision seen as imminent: Those close to QB remain convinced he'll call it quits

Numerous sources close to Tampa Bay Buccaneers quarterback Tom Brady remain convinced that the all-time great is preparing to retire from the game, with a formal announcement expected shortly.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/tom-brady-retirement-decision-seen-as-imminent-by-those-close-to-qb-who-remain-convinced-hell-call-it-quits/

6 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

In his seven screen statement on IG he didn't mention New England, the Patriots, the Krafts, Belichick. Not sure what to make of that?

Am hearing that he will sign a one-day contract with the Patriots, maybe tomorrow, and then retire as a Patriot.

• 1 month later...
On 10/8/2021 at 11:55 AM, John Drake said:

If you are a follower of the modern game, I can see how you appreciate these players the way you do. But there are so many other factors, aside from the rules, that have changed QB stats and play. Look at the turf they played on in the 70s and 80s. Essentially, is was a concrete slab with green fuzz on top. Nothing made the game more conducive to concussions than players being slammed down on concrete. That is what probably drove Staubach out of the game.  But for my money, the best QBs were those back in the 60s. And remember they called their own plays!!! Unlike today's QBs. The three I most enjoyed watching in order were: Joe Namath, Don Meredith, and Sonny Jurgenson. Nobody before or since (although I never saw Sammy Baugh or Otto Graham) ever was more creative with passing the football than Joe Namath. It shocks me to see how his memory has been so largely forgotten.  Then, there is Don Meredith and his favorite receiver, Rapid Robert Hayes. NFL teams basically invented the zone defense to deal with Meredith to Hayes. (I remember when the Philadelphia Eagles unveiled their umbrella defense for Hayes and Meredith then went out and threw for over 400 yards.) Nobody was ever faster than Hayes, although NY Giants' Homer Jones thought he was. Last is paunchy Sonny Jurgenson. The man couldn't move to save his life but he could master the passing game like nobody else except maybe Namath. 

Finally, go back and look at NFL films highlight shows from the 70s through the 90s. They were all built around hits. People like Jack Tatum, Cliff Harris, Dick Butkus, Deacon Jones, Randy White, Ronnie Lott, Mike Curtis.  To be honest, I don't know why there weren't more deaths and paralysis back in the 70s. The game was almost downright deadly. Put that all together, open season on QB sack rushers, bump and run DBs, horse collaring, playing on cement turf, and you'll see why so many QBs were decimated by injuries. Namath couldn't even walk at the end of his career. Had Tom Brady played back then, different story I think.  Bottom line: it's just a different game now.

Joe Namath was one of the main reasons I began watching pro football as a boy. Even today, if you watch videos of him playing, his accuracy and touch on the football was astounding. He was certainly not very mobile, but he sure could throw that ball. And you’re right he played in the ‘tough guy era’ of the game. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Some pundits, like Mike Florio PFT, are saying that Brady simply retired from the Bucs.

And that he might play for another team. 49-ers?

You may be right, Brady still has plenty of football left in him and he’s healthy. His whole lifestyle, including his diet are geared around being prepared for the game. There are some very interesting reads about TB12, the company he founded with his trainer, which also talks about his discipline regarding diet, sleep and workout routines in more detail. San Fran could be a great fit for Brady, IMO - and they should once again have a stellar defense. They would need to improve the running game to take some of the pressure off Tom. As long as he’s not playing for NE I’ll root for the old man. NE has had there fair share of days in the sun, but as a second year player, Mac Jones may be the next guy to bring them back to the limelight.

On 10/8/2021 at 6:35 AM, John Drake said:

I followed the Cowboys from the time of Don Meredith, Craig Morton, Jerry Rhome, and Staubach, when all four were on the roster (Rhome was a decent QB). But, now? I despise Jones. That man is moral sewage. I enjoy seeing him suffer when he loses. Don't really care for this free agent era, either, where people change teams at the drop of a hat. What was the old saying: you're a fan of the uniform, not the team these days.

I never was or will be a fan of the Cowboys and they were improved, but still sputtered in the playoffs. 

• 2 weeks later...

After a trip to Old Trafford, presumably to confab with the Glazers, he's un-retired.

Tom Brady says he is returning to the NFL
The Tampa Bay QB announced on Sunday that he is coming back from retirement and will play for the Buccaneers this season. "I love my teammates, and I love my supportive family. ... I’m coming back for my 23rd season in Tampa. Unfinished business LFG," Brady said. Brady initially announced his retirement from the NFL on February 1.

https://www.nfl.com/news/tom-brady-unretires-nfl-community-reacts-to-brady-s-stunning-return-to-nfl?campaign=Twitter_atn

• Like 1

19 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

After a trip to Old Trafford, presumably to confab with the Glazers, he's un-retired.

Tom Brady says he is returning to the NFL
The Tampa Bay QB announced on Sunday that he is coming back from retirement and will play for the Buccaneers this season. "I love my teammates, and I love my supportive family. ... I’m coming back for my 23rd season in Tampa. Unfinished business LFG," Brady said. Brady initially announced his retirement from the NFL on February 1.

https://www.nfl.com/news/tom-brady-unretires-nfl-community-reacts-to-brady-s-stunning-return-to-nfl?campaign=Twitter_atn

I think I more was surprised to hear he was retiring than I was to hear he decided to ‘un-retire’… he’s still got some quality football left in him.

11 hours ago, DBath said:

he’s still got some quality football left in him.

Tampa Bay has a very challenging schedule in 2022, Rams, Packers, Chiefs, Bengals, Ravens, Cowboys, 49ers - not to mention a "home" game in Munich at FC Bayern Munich Stadium.

https://fbschedules.com/2022-tampa-bay-buccaneers-schedule/#

Yes, 11-6 should insure the NFC South crown. And the NFC pretty much sux, so maybe another SB run. LA, SF, GB won't be near as good, so who knows? ~ 20 ish free agents though, that'll be challenging. No bringing the band back.

Edited by mtls2005